cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-paying buyers with 100% feedback?

As I'm sure is quite common on Ebay, since they don't seem to care when it happens, I get many non-paying buyers. Why does their feedback still show as 100% ? Shouldn't other sellers get a heads-up that they're dead-beat buyers? What's to stop them from continuing the practice of not paying for auctions they've won if there are no negative consequences? Thanks

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Non-paying buyers with 100% feedback?

List as Buy It Now with Immediate Payment Required

Works every time for me!

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

Yes,  I do know that.

Two strikes is too many IMO and the site would be well rid of NPBs.    I have 4 or 5 right 

now that are going to get their strikes and then they'll all be blocked.   

NPBs cause nothing but extra work and headaches while you or I sit and 

try to figure out what they are going to do.

Some things relist automatically,   Some don't and need to be re-done 

which is more hassle and time wasted.

Sport bidders have always been a thing on ebay.   I miss the days 

when you could neg them for a little pay back.    I also 

miss the days when (4 NPBs?)   would get you NARU

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

The good ole days  when you could give buyers negative FB were at least 15 years ago, so we have to use what we have and what we have is to cancel, citing nonpayment, but I am sure you know that.  

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

But those shops are the exception rather than the rule, and I am not sure how often that's done in the US, although at one local store, I did see a good picture of a shopper who had passed a bad check.  It was on the side of the cash register.  

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

As you are aware, only buyers who have had two nonpaying cases in the past 12 months can be blocked by sellers.  

I think the advice @dirk12955 gave some excellent advice.  I too have often said that IF a seller sets their buyer requirements to block buyer with 2 unpaid strikes in the past 12 month [the strictest setting] and they are faithful about filing a Cancellation for Non Payment when appropriate, it helps all sellers.  

The more sellers that do those two things the more buyers that are repeat offenders will be blocked from bidding or purchasing on the site.  If we work together it will likely make things better for sellers on this subject.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 20 of 27
latest reply

Sport bidders have always been a thing on ebay.   I miss the days 

when you could neg them for a little pay back.    I also 

miss the days when (4 NPBs?)   would get you NARU

For a whole variety of reasons being able to leave negative feedback on a buyer is simply bad business.  And sellers have proven they can't be trusted with the ability to do this since there were so many that abused it before Ebay made the policy change.

Buyers were not always NARU'd when they had 4 unpaid strikes.  Sometimes there were other sanctions from what I remember.  But sellers would have no way of knowing how many unpaid strikes any given buyer had much less the sanctions Ebay applied to them because of it.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

The "KitsonLosAngeles" Instagram account actually shames shoplifters by posting videos and photos of the thefts and screenshots of their social media accounts. The owner has gotten a number of shoplifters to return the stolen goods. 

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

One of the items that still sells in auctions are coins. This past Sunday I sold a 1945 silver half-dollar for $18.50 to a buyer who ignored my messages & 2 invoices. Some of my messages were about trying to lower the shipping cost which I was unable to do & included a trip to a local post office which wasted my time.

Ebay chat told me how to cancel the sale. I was able to send a second chance offer to another bidder for $18.00 & set it for a 3 day listing.  I have not had this happen in along time & expected I would be able to leave Negative Feedback For The Non-Paying Buyer. I had forgotten that it wasn't possible & it is Extremely Frustrating to not be allowed to do that. I know it has been along time since it was possible & I have never agreed with this ridiculous policy. It allows buyers like this to continue to hide their bad buying habits & it is wrong for ebay to allow that but allow buyers to leave negative feedback for sellers. I added the buyer to my block list so at least that's something but the buyer deserved negative feedback & I should have been allowed to do that.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

So you were not aware that buyers can never, per eBay rules, be given negative FB? 

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

@ourancestorsattic 

One of the items that still sells in auctions are coins. This past Sunday I sold a 1945 silver half-dollar for $18.50 to a buyer who ignored my messages & 2 invoices.

I would encourage you to STOP sending invoice.  Ebay notifies buyers when they have made a purchase and they even send reminders to pay on day 3 I think it is.  You are only hurting yourself by sending these invoice as every time you do that, it restarts the 96 hour clock of when you can Cancel the Transaction using the reason the buyer did not pay.

Some of my messages were about trying to lower the shipping cost which I was unable to do & included a trip to a local post office which wasted my time.

Why would you do that?  If the buyer purchases an item with stated shipping, they agree to pay that amount for shipping, I don't understand why you would try to lower the costs???

Ebay chat told me how to cancel the sale.

Yes using the reason the buyer did not pay.  That is very important, but you can't do that until 96 hours after YOU sent the last invoice to your buyer.

I was able to send a second chance offer to another bidder for $18.00 & set it for a 3 day listing. 

This happens.  Sometimes buyer set up their account preferences to NOT allow SCOs [second chance offers].

I have not had this happen in along time & expected I would be able to leave Negative Feedback For The Non-Paying Buyer.

Nope, we haven't been able to do that for many many years.  Cancelling the transaction for Non Payment gives the buyer a strike on their account.  And for those sellers that have their buyer requirements set to the strictest possible setting for non payer [2 strikes in the past 12 months], if the buyer is a repeat offender, they will get blocked from purchasing from any seller with their Buyer requirement set as I previously stated.

You need to use the tools that are available to you.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

Some of my messages were about trying to lower the shipping cost which I was unable to do & included a trip to a local post office which wasted my time.

Why would you do that?  If the buyer purchases an item with stated shipping, they agree to pay that amount for shipping, I don't understand why you would try to lower the costs???

Because it is Insane to pay $4.19 cents for a 5x7x less than 1 inch stiff envelope that weighs 2 ounces. usps Ruined First Class Shipping with that ground advantage garbage & should not have been allowed to get away with that. The post office I went to use to have employees that knew what they were doing but they don't anymore. Also, I sent the second invoice yesterday & was allowed by ebay to cancel the sale today.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

@ourancestorsattic wrote:

Because it is Insane to pay $4.19 cents for a 5x7x less than 1 inch stiff envelope that weighs 2 ounces. usps Ruined First Class Shipping with that ground advantage garbage & should not have been allowed to get away with that. The post office I went to use to have employees that knew what they were doing but they don't anymore. Also, I sent the second invoice yesterday & was allowed by ebay to cancel the sale today.

I respect the feeling, but we have to deal with reality and shipping is what it is, we just have to deal with it.  Prepare yourself, there is chatter than we have another USPS rate increase coming in July.  Media mail is going up by just under 10%.  OUCH!

Message 27 of 27
latest reply