cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-paying bidders

I have wasted endless hours reporting a buyer to ebay via phone calls and written chats. It has accomplished nothing. I was seller #25 to not receive payment within the previous month and several others followed. Read his negative "positive" feedback and block him from your sales, especially if you sell comic books. Ebay will do nothing but you can.

It used to be 3 strikes and non-paying bidders were out. Now it's very different. Ebay will not remove a paying buyer, even if he pays once out of every 10 winning bids. And, what's happening with cases against non-paying bidders???

Block bidder and save yourself a lot of time and effort.

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: Non-paying bidders

Well, if you mean "cancel because buyer didn't pay," then we're all on board.  Cancelling for some other reason just lets the buyer off the hook.  And leaving positive feedback with a warning to other sellers does pretty much nothing.  It certainly didn't stop the "buyer" from committing to buy your item, did it?  

Message 31 of 52
latest reply

"A satisfaction in being able to leave negative feedback and thus warn others"?

Wouldn't that so-called satisfaction be somewhat mitigated by the fact that the seller would probably receive a "defect" and the negative wording would be removed? 

Message 32 of 52
latest reply

Agreed.. Ebay charges the seller for the sell fee, if you cancel the sell and don’t allow the 4 days for them not yo pay. I believe the fee should be charged to the buyer fir not completing purchases unless you choose to cancel when there is zero contact or payment from buyer. You spend your time taking photos and doing your listing fir someone to have no intention of paying and ruin your auction and have you miss a good paying Ebayer. I don’t understand why these non paying bidders are rewarded fir their behavior and the sellers who make up Ebay are penalized for the non paying bidders actions. 

Message 33 of 52
latest reply

Yes, this is a big problem.  EBay is doing nothing at all.  Sellers cannot even give negative feedback ratings when we are forced to cancel the bid.  EBay does not care as they use this to claim number of subscribers even though a percentage of them are all scammers and non payers.

We should have a global black list for all these non payers so that all sellers can add it into thier block list.

Message 34 of 52
latest reply

seems that there was such a thing on the interweb at one time.

2 flaws.

Possibly abused by false reporting.

and just because they did not pay me does not mean that they will not pay you.

Message 35 of 52
latest reply

Experiencing the same here.  11 non-payers recently.  Beyond frustrating.  I pay to promote most of my listings, and of course eBay doesn't refund those when a sale is cancelled for non-payment.

I give buyers 7 days and send reminders to be polite, professional and cover all my bases.

I think going forward I'm going to use pay to promote much less.  I'm also considering researching other online markeplace/auction platforms like PWCC.  (I almost exclusively sell sports trading cards).

Message 36 of 52
latest reply

Of course I did your "4 click" procedure. I understand how ebay works after 24 yrs. I don't understand, however, why ebay won't remove chronically delinquent non-payers.

Probably because the buyer can simply open another account or use a guest account to purchase. Unlike sellers buyers can use their accounts with a VPN and thwart any attempts by eBay to block them from opening another account or using a guest account. 

I would much rather have the occasional non-payment than I would have to deal with a return or a request for a refund. There are a LOT of reasons a buyer may not have paid for the item. Unlike BIN items where you know the buyer is sitting at their computer and made the purchase real-time. With auctions a bid could have been placed early and over the next xx days a lot could have happened. The buyer could have died, had a medical or family emergency, been impacted by a natural disaster...........  There is no real way to tell why they did not pay. 

As a side note most of the items you are selling, commodity type things, could be listed BIN with immediate payment required and no OBO. Auctions are well suited for some items not so much for others. 

Message 37 of 52
latest reply

Here we go again...

All you as a seller have to do is in your site preferences, set your unpaid item strikes to not allow buyers such as these to bid on your auctions, problem solved.

Message 38 of 52
latest reply

@billsmafiamike17 wrote: ... I give buyers 7 days and send reminders to be polite, professional and cover all my bases....

Does that ever help?  Most sellers just set their site preferences to automatically cancel a transaction if isn't paid within the required minimum of 4 days.  Do you ever have buyers who eventually pay up between day 4 and day 7?

Message 40 of 52
latest reply

Maybe ebay should allow real negatives for non payment. Like automatically. Non payment is a real issue on the site.

Message 41 of 52
latest reply

Again, any seller who has a buyer who has not yet paid after 4 days can cancel on day #5, citing "buyer did not pay" as a reason.

And any seller can set his requirements so that a buyer with two strikes in twelve months cannot bid or buy from him.

When/if any buyer has 23 negatives for nonpayment, that means that the sellers did not use the solutions available to them.  Even if a seller doesn't care whether or not he gets paid, he needs to open a case if merely to make things easier for other sellers.  

Message 42 of 52
latest reply

That will help for sellers looking at an offer. Or canceling bids. 

Message 43 of 52
latest reply

@exlibristoo wrote:

I have wasted endless hours reporting a buyer to ebay via phone calls and written chats. It has accomplished nothing. I was seller #25 to not receive payment within the previous month and several others followed. Read his negative "positive" feedback and block him from your sales, especially if you sell comic books. Ebay will do nothing but you can.

It used to be 3 strikes and non-paying bidders were out. Now it's very different. Ebay will not remove a paying buyer, even if he pays once out of every 10 winning bids. And, what's happening with cases against non-paying bidders???

Block bidder and save yourself a lot of time and effort.

You would think the site could easily do something about this - Question: Do these type of transactions help with higher sales reports for the site?

Message 44 of 52
latest reply

Ebay just gets worse & worse......I'm dealing with a buyer now who cannot understand why an item she JUST BOUGHT is no longer available......these people drive and raise children..

Message 45 of 52
latest reply