cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non Payment on TIme Sensitive Eclipse Glasses

I have sole NASA approved eclipse glasses this week and have 2 buyers who have not paid.  The sale ended on Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017.  I have tried to contact both sellers several times.  I have sent each 3 invoices and 2 or 3 messages with no response from either one.  I have local people begging me so the glasses I have left .  Unless the unpaid buyers are willing to pay for priority shipping, they will probably not get the items in time even if I mailed them today.  How do I handle this?  I am holding off my local buyers until tomorrow.  Ebay has not been notified yet.  Should I notify eBay or just take my chances and sell what I have left to locals?  The ebay fees for the two together are $12.41.  Help

Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

This item is temporarily sold out.

That's what it says now. It was a regular listing a minute ago.

Maybe Trump or Ellen bought it. 😂

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 46 of 66
latest reply

@skatefool wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@skatefool wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@sockmonkeydave wrote:

@alyaptiva

@alyaptiva wrote:

I have sole NASA approved eclipse glasses this week and have 2 buyers who have not paid.  The sale ended on Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017.  I have tried to contact both sellers several times.  I have sent each 3 invoices and 2 or 3 messages with no response from either one.  I have local people begging me so the glasses I have left .  Unless the unpaid buyers are willing to pay for priority shipping, they will probably not get the items in time even if I mailed them today.  How do I handle this?  I am holding off my local buyers until tomorrow.  Ebay has not been notified yet.  Should I notify eBay or just take my chances and sell what I have left to locals?  The ebay fees for the two together are $12.41.  Help

These items are free for the taking, in Southern Illinois, I got a hand full for the family.

Exactly.  They donated over 2,000,000 of them.

Sort of like those free for the taking Priority Mail boxes that my PO never seems to have on hand anymore.Smiley Very Happy.

Not even close unless you are reselling those priority boxes.

Um - my point is availability - not saleability - if the free eclipse glasses are out-of-stock at your fire station,  it doesn't matter how many millions they gave away for free. Smiley Wink

And if peo[le only took what they needed to view the eclipse or if not interested i  seeing the eclipse left them for those that did, then there just might be enough.

Message 47 of 66
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:

That's what it says now. It was a regular listing a minute ago....

The top of the listing says that the seller ended it.

Message 48 of 66
latest reply

That's the risk you take selling time sensitive items.

Message 49 of 66
latest reply

Animals generally don't look up at the sun, science says. It's not even an accepted truth that wolves howl at the moon.. they howl all the time, but more people are out looking at the moon when it's full.

Most people viewing the eclipse will have a vehicle nearby, the windows of which will make a fairly-decent mirror (I said windows.. not rear-view mirrors!) for safely viewing the eclipse.

If you borrow your grandmother's reading glasses, you can use them to focus a decent mage of the eclipse on the sidewalk or a piece of paper.

A homemade pinhole camera is another great way to do it. (The cool tree shadows pictured earlier are examples of naturally-forming pinhole cameras.)

Or.. you could just look up. I know you've done it before. Just don't stare at it for the full three minutes of totality. The sun's atmosphere isn't visible most of the time but it still puts out gigantic amounts of UV. 

How many times have you seen kids giggling because they've been staring at the sun and temporarily blinded themselves? Yeah, I'm sure that someone's going to get a cataract this weekend but the big hazard is that while the visible light isn't strong enough to trigger your eyes' protective reflexes, the UV is still strong enough to damage your retinas.

Don't try to photograph the eclipse with a rangerfinder camera with a silk shutter! The image of the sun can burn a hole right through it and destroy your camera. If you use a DSLR or film SLR, be careful not to let the sun's image fall on the light trap inside your camera's body. The area around the mirror is usually made out of plastic and melts very easily. And of course, don't use the viewfinder to focus on the sun 😄

Message 50 of 66
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:
If you go on google they are beging given out FREE all over the country at fire stations and libraries to name a few.

Sad to say, the city of Lake Oswego Oregon was giving them out and has now recalled them as being faulty, fake, and can injure eyes. (probably from China)

Message 51 of 66
latest reply

As of right—this—minute, this listing is still live (Solar Viewers):

IMG_4205.PNG

IMG_4206.PNG

jtzvwbug
Volunteer Responder | USA Community

Message 52 of 66
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:

That's what it says now. It was a regular listing a minute ago.

When I clicked the link just now it said the listing was ended by the seller because there was an error.  

Message 53 of 66
latest reply

@omgitlightsup wrote:

Animals generally don't look up at the sun, science says. It's not even an accepted truth that wolves howl at the moon.. they howl all the time, but more people are out looking at the moon when it's full.

Most people viewing the eclipse will have a vehicle nearby, the windows of which will make a fairly-decent mirror (I said windows.. not rear-view mirrors!) for safely viewing the eclipse.

If you borrow your grandmother's reading glasses, you can use them to focus a decent mage of the eclipse on the sidewalk or a piece of paper.

A homemade pinhole camera is another great way to do it. (The cool tree shadows pictured earlier are examples of naturally-forming pinhole cameras.)

Or.. you could just look up. I know you've done it before. Just don't stare at it for the full three minutes of totality. The sun's atmosphere isn't visible most of the time but it still puts out gigantic amounts of UV. 

How many times have you seen kids giggling because they've been staring at the sun and temporarily blinded themselves? Yeah, I'm sure that someone's going to get a cataract this weekend but the big hazard is that while the visible light isn't strong enough to trigger your eyes' protective reflexes, the UV is still strong enough to damage your retinas.

Don't try to photograph the eclipse with a rangerfinder camera with a silk shutter! The image of the sun can burn a hole right through it and destroy your camera. If you use a DSLR or film SLR, be careful not to let the sun's image fall on the light trap inside your camera's body. The area around the mirror is usually made out of plastic and melts very easily. And of course, don't use the viewfinder to focus on the sun 😄

@omgitlightsup, wow.  Thanks for the awesome info!   Before I read the last paragraph I was thinking to myself I'll just take my camera outside, not look up, point it up to the sky and snap!    But now I won't dare do it.  

Message 54 of 66
latest reply

@muttlymob wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

Call eBay, make sure that the CS understands that the items have NO VALUE after Monday, which doesn't leave time for an unpaid item report or the ability to ship them in time.  Get the CS agent to cancel the purchases while you are on the phone without penalty to you.  If the agent you get doesn't understand the timeframe issue, hang up and try again.

There are ways to list time-sensitive items safely.  The OP chose not to use the tools available.  Why should eBay step in to clean up for a seller who made mistakes in their listings?

I also wonder after the eclipe how many buyers are going to file SNAD saying they were fake or did not work and will then get their money back.

Message 55 of 66
latest reply

@emerald40

OH snort... I took a big hand full, my boss has 30 people showing up from out of state.

And I gave them to all the guys in the shop.

Just blasted out an email.... I want the glasses back after it's over.

Next week I will be selling "used eclipse glasses"

(people made a killing on pet rocks)

The real glasses have "ISO" on them.... don't know what the fakes have.

It is crazy here in S. ILL, over 200 jets monday morning, airport is closed to traffic.

Arrival spots were booked months ago,  runways not in use will be jet parking.

We have turned down another 200 request from jet owners.

There will be 800 people on the ramp alone.

To top it off... this is move in weekend at the university.

And that is crazy for a few weeks on a normal year.

They drive like they are in Chicago, crazy...

We locals will sit at a 4 way stop, and wave to each other, for a minuet.

I drive under the speed limit... I am in no hurry, people give me hand signals, rude.

Animals are acting a bit strange...

We have Canadian Geese, and they should be way north, this time of year.

Hundreds of deer have come into town, and just stand around, watching cars go by.

And they had baby deer way late this year...

( they know to look both ways, unlike the armadillos)

Went to pick up the wife ( mother of toads ) from work, she was on the smoke bench.

She was covered with tree frogs, she said a word I did not understand, and they all hopped away.

I have stocked the fridge with beer and beef jerky, and good on TP.

( note to self... insert Bob Seeger "sun spot baby" here

Message 56 of 66
latest reply

Not sure if we will be able to see it in RI as a full or partial eclipse

Message 57 of 66
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Not sure if we will be able to see it in RI as a full or partial eclipse

@emerald40. If you were in the path of totality, you'd know by now due to all the crazy preparation shenanigans.  On the east coast, the full eclipse doesn't reach north of North Carolina.

Message 59 of 66
latest reply

Im so relieved I dont live in the path. We just had 600k motorcycles here last week, I dont think I could take anotherm 600k people crowding in to my tiny neck of the woods lol
Message 60 of 66
latest reply