cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non Payment on TIme Sensitive Eclipse Glasses

I have sole NASA approved eclipse glasses this week and have 2 buyers who have not paid.  The sale ended on Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017.  I have tried to contact both sellers several times.  I have sent each 3 invoices and 2 or 3 messages with no response from either one.  I have local people begging me so the glasses I have left .  Unless the unpaid buyers are willing to pay for priority shipping, they will probably not get the items in time even if I mailed them today.  How do I handle this?  I am holding off my local buyers until tomorrow.  Ebay has not been notified yet.  Should I notify eBay or just take my chances and sell what I have left to locals?  The ebay fees for the two together are $12.41.  Help

Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Re: Non Payment on TIme Sensitive Eclipse Glasses

@jtzvwbug wrote:

@thatsallfolks

About 3 hours (200 miles or so). I thought about it, but I decided to hang out here with a bunch of friends. 

I'm driving almost 500, to be dead center, and hoping for clear skies. We'll get over two and a half minutes of totality. It's a "bucket list" thing for me, so I can't pass up the opportunity.

Message 31 of 66
latest reply

We get it.. you can get them for free lots of places. Some people are selling them, too.

I don't think OP is seeking guidance on whether or not to sell them in general.. It looks like it's gone quite well thus far if there's only a couple left.

Also.. these things make very apt souvenirs of the experience. And compact and easy to store too. They won't be completely valueless after this weekend. There's not any reason to get on someone for taking advantage of eclipse fever.

There'll be plenty of partial and annular eclipses in the future too.

Message 32 of 66
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@jtzvwbug wrote:

@thatsallfolks

About 3 hours (200 miles or so). I thought about it, but I decided to hang out here with a bunch of friends. 

I'm driving almost 500, to be dead center, and hoping for clear skies. We'll get over two and a half minutes of totality. It's a "bucket list" thing for me, so I can't pass up the opportunity.

@thatsallfolks

Yeah. You have to go. Here's hoping it will be a gorgeous clear day. Have fun!

jtzvwbug
Volunteer Responder | USA Community

Message 33 of 66
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@jtzvwbug wrote:

The Moon is supposed to obsure 93.6% of the Sun in my City.

How far would you have to drive to be in the totality zone?

Where I am at, Baker City, Oregon; we will have totality.  We are located in Eastern Oregon, just a hoot and a holler south of the 45th Parallel.

We are expecting the county's population to like double or triple this weekend, and the City Police just received a grant that will cover the overtime the cops will be pulling.

The smart ones around here are getting their grocery and other day to day shopping done well before the weekend.

I think the ones who are going to make out like bandits here for this event, moreso than the ones who got permits to rent property space, will be the dispensaries about 30 miles south in Sumpter and 30 or so east in Huntington; as well as the ones who do their own growing and have no qualms about selling under the table to the out of staters who have been itching to legally indulge.  🙂

I myself have been thinking about the probability that many are coming as a spiritual experience; and taking a few hours tomorrow to go to the hills and gather obsidian, then market chunks of it as gaiaglass or something just as barftastic.  😄

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 34 of 66
latest reply

@jtzvwbug wrote:

"I've heard" that flowers will close, birds will fly to their roosts, and bugs will come out during totality. I've also been told to be sure to look at the sunlight on the ground after it's passed through a shade tree. The shape(s?) are supposed to be cool to see. I hope I remember to do that. LOL.

Here's more info about the shapes that I've been told to look for:

"During the partial eclipse, create and look for bizarre shadow effects. If you ever noticed sunlight filtering through the trees, a pinhole, or other small spaces, you may have created bits of light that look like tiny circles. These are actually filtered images of the Sun itself! During a partial eclipse, these will appear as small crescents instead, showing you the part of the Sun that's peeking out from behind the Moon only."

Examples:

IMG_4204.PNG

IMG_4203.PNG

jtzvwbug
Volunteer Responder | USA Community

Message 35 of 66
latest reply

I see a lot of INADs coming your way next week
Message 36 of 66
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@sockmonkeydave wrote:

@alyaptiva

@alyaptiva wrote:

I have sole NASA approved eclipse glasses this week and have 2 buyers who have not paid.  The sale ended on Tuesday, Aug 15, 2017.  I have tried to contact both sellers several times.  I have sent each 3 invoices and 2 or 3 messages with no response from either one.  I have local people begging me so the glasses I have left .  Unless the unpaid buyers are willing to pay for priority shipping, they will probably not get the items in time even if I mailed them today.  How do I handle this?  I am holding off my local buyers until tomorrow.  Ebay has not been notified yet.  Should I notify eBay or just take my chances and sell what I have left to locals?  The ebay fees for the two together are $12.41.  Help

These items are free for the taking, in Southern Illinois, I got a hand full for the family.

Exactly.  They donated over 2,000,000 of them.

Sort of like those free for the taking Priority Mail boxes that my PO never seems to have on hand anymore.Smiley Very Happy.

Message 37 of 66
latest reply

Http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-sci-solar-eclipse-2017-map/

This is a cool map of the eclipse. It does take a second to load.

They didn’t say it was your fault. They said they blame you.
Message 38 of 66
latest reply

@skatefool wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@sockmonkeydave wrote:

@alyaptiva

@alyaptiva wrote:

These items are free for the taking, in Southern Illinois, I got a hand full for the family.

Sort of like those free for the taking Priority Mail boxes that my PO never seems to have on hand anymore.Smiley Very Happy.

Not even close unless you are reselling those priority boxes.

Message 39 of 66
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@missjen316 wrote:

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Maybe there will be no SNAD's because no one can see their conputer ...

I'd laugh, but I have a terrible feeling that thousands of people will suffer permanent vision loss on Monday.

Is it really that bad? I honestly haven't paid any attention to this eclipse stuff....don't know when it is but I'm assuming its this weekend based on this post? Don't know if we'll be able to see it in this part of California either and wasn't planning to watch but I guess we should stay inside when it happens???

It's happening Monday; the moon probably starts to cover the sun where you are around 7am PDT. You'll see a partial eclipse in CA; the farther north you are, the greater the % of the sun that will be covered. 

There's no need to stay inside; just don't stare at the sun, even if it appears much dimmer than normal. My concern is people who have counterfeit glasses, with no way to test them.

I haven't done much research but I am also concerned about the people who will not listen to the warnings.  That and the animals who may/might look up into the sun.  😞

Message 40 of 66
latest reply

@nowthatsjustducky wrote:

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@jtzvwbug wrote:

How far would you have to drive to be in the totality zone?

Where I am at, Baker City, Oregon; we will have totality.  We are located in Eastern Oregon, just a hoot and a holler south of the 45th Parallel.

We are expecting the county's population to like double or triple this weekend, and the City Police just received a grant that will cover the overtime the cops will be pulling.

The smart ones around here are getting their grocery and other day to day shopping done well before the weekend.

I think the ones who are going to make out like bandits here for this event, moreso than the ones who got permits to rent property space, will be the dispensaries about 30 miles south in Sumpter and 30 or so east in Huntington; as well as the ones who do their own growing and have no qualms about selling under the table to the out of staters who have been itching to legally indulge.  🙂

I myself have been thinking about the probability that many are coming as a spiritual experience; and taking a few hours tomorrow to go to the hills and gather obsidian, then market chunks of it as gaiaglass or something just as barftastic.  😄

I think here in Duck Town we get about 95%, good enough for me.  Wife wants to go a bit north for full totallity but she hates crowds and really hates being in car in heavy traffic, so what's she thinking???

Daughter's boyfriend is a PO in the capital, right in the path of totallity.  He's in for a really long weekend and start of the week.  Extended shifts and extra days....

Hmmm weather report was just updated to expect some possible AM clouds (oceanic onshore flow) so for the thousands that flocked to the coast and valley it could be a major disappointment....

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 41 of 66
latest reply

@rainbowcolorz wrote:

I haven't done much research but I am also concerned about the people who will not listen to the warnings.  That and the animals who may/might look up into the sun.  😞

Considering eclipses have happened since not long after Theia caused the moon to form (current most likely hypothesis at least), so they have been happening since life arose here, and still happening since people started recording history.  I would imagine that if that were a major happening, it would have been recorded after most eclipses during the past few thousand years.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 42 of 66
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@skatefool wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@sockmonkeydave wrote:

@alyaptiva

@alyaptiva wrote:

Not even close unless you are reselling those priority boxes.

Um - my point is availability - not saleability - if the free eclipse glasses are out-of-stock at your fire station,  it doesn't matter how many millions they gave away for free. Smiley Wink

Message 43 of 66
latest reply

On the news tonight, apparently someone on ebay has them listed for 100,000. I haven't looked yet.
Hey but ebay was in the news 😂

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 44 of 66
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:
On the news tonight, apparently someone on ebay has them listed for 100,000. I haven't looked yet.
Hey but ebay was in the news 😂

Well, it's for 4 pairs and it has "best offer" and free shipping. And a map.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-PAIR-SOLAR-ECLIPSE-GLASSES-WITH-AMERICAN-ECLIPSE-MAP-/253094419464?epid=21...

Message 45 of 66
latest reply