cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No timeline apparently for buyers to open a claim , more work for sellers. Feelings on this ?

I sold an item June 29th, it was delivered on July 3rd. I have the tracking. Buyer just opened item not received case yesterday, November 9th. That's close to 4 and 1/2 months later !!!! Wow... are you kidding me? Tracking in order details 90 days I think and then long gone. Anyways I guess I'm thinking now of taking and filing screenshots of tracking histories for my sales to protect myself 4, 5, and 6 months after the fact. I'm not real happy about that the last thing I need is more work. I can't speak for all, but I am hoping to be too busy packing orders and making the next sale to be spending hours of time covering my butt.  Why is this site so intent on making life so hard for it's sellers? Anyways I am just interested in some of your opinions. Happy Selling !

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: No timeline apparently for buyers to open a claim , more work for sellers. Feelings on this ?

The window with e-Bay to file a claim should have long passed. 

How did your buyer file?  A chargeback?  Filed thru Paypal?

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Re: No timeline apparently for buyers to open a claim , more work for sellers. Feelings on this ?

Through Ebay

I got it in my Ebay Messages as an Ebay case. Not through Chargeback. 

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

That really makes zero sense. 

Reach out to e-Bay on social media.  The claim window should have closed some time ago.

https://m.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

Message them (message button upper right) with a private message.  Transaction number, all the tracking info and dates and detail the long window e-Bay has allowed. 

Include your Seller ID and your email/phone number to contact you.

Good luck!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Thank you, I thought they had 45 days or so maximum but I guess not anymore. 

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

I would hope that someone at ebay accepted the claim by mistake. 

I think that as soon as they "investigate" and see the dates, they will close the case in your favor. 

Good luck. 

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

A buyer has 30 days to open a case with eBay.

Paypal, if that's how they paid, gives 180 days (6 months).

Credit cards have varying lengths of time to do a charge back, but I think the most common one is 180 days.

Yes, you need to contact eBay because this shouldn't have happened.  

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Here's the kicker, they didn't ask for a refund they asked for the item. Buyer would like the item, that I believe is an option only through Ebay. I need to contact them yes, I have no idea how the buyer paid for the item.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

There should be avail to ebay the tracking showing the item was received. Unless they still have to have the tracking showing on the postal website. In that case everyone would have to do a research case with USPS if the tracking info is no longer available on their website. Just crazy.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Yep. They can always do a chargeback even if they received it to try to steal. However, the tracking showing delivered usually stops that nonsense.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@dsad1971 wrote:

Thank you, I thought they had 45 days or so maximum but I guess not anymore. 

They only have 30 days past the estimated delivery date to get Ebay involved.

Anything after 30 days, they can still file a claim, but they leave the decision up to you, Ebay doesn't get involved.

If it was Pay Pal, they have 180 days to file a claim.

Have a great day
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I don't think you have much to worry about, although it's been some time and eaby has this habit of pulling scares out of the blue just to see if we know our stuff so I don't recall for sure the outcome, but it is my belief you can just let this case time out... And if the buyer escalates eaby won't issue the refund either way because it's past the timeline, and this last bit might be difficult to do but we have to at this point have faith that the programming of the software that controls these things is on point (yes, I realize if the software was 100% on point then the case wouldn't have even been allowed to begin with but we also have to remember that this is eaby).

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

I just checked a purchase I made in June, and there is no option to report an item not received to ebay...in fact, it says the return window has closed in non clickable text.....so, does that mean this customer of yours had to contact ebay to report the not received item...because it couldn't be done through the regular customer interface i don't think.....all I can do is save seller....contact seller....buy again...view sellers other items----there is no way to report to ebay....so is the request from the buyer?

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

It bothers me that with a sale that old, eBay doesn't show the tracking and delivery anymore. Can we go on the USPS website and see it there? 

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

i_luv_kittycats
Trailblazer

I've been talking about this with other sellers since the new bank account payments were rolled out. I'm now facing misery on those due to wrongful and lengthy hold times on my money because I have an an inactive seller.

Some say the reason for the hold times and so on, is that the old days of chargebacks and long return windows are now gone on ebay. they say that once payment is "cleared" into your bank account, it's difficult to impossible for ebay (or paypal) to just freeze or snatch it out. Is this really true I wonder?

Message 15 of 19
latest reply