cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No protection for the seller - Ebay forced me to accept return

I recently started selling some of my stuff on ebay because I'm moving overseas for a while and I want to be as light as possible and because I cannot accept returns and resell, I describe my products %100 accurate.

I sold about 10 to 12 items and got %100 feedback and very very nice comments because I was %100 accurate and put so much effort to my packing to make sure nothing happens to the electronics I sold. All of my listings were very very clean, almost looked like a non used product.

The last item I was selling was a very very nice and super clean Zeiss camera lens for Sony E-mount. The lens was taking photos just as normal, the only problem it had that the focus ring was stuck and I described it very accurately in the description and even shot a video to demonstrate the problem so I know the person who buys the item knows exactly what the sitation is, because I didn't want any problems due to moving overseas.

I put the item's price half of what the relative listings were and immediately there were 5 people interested in it and 1 of the potential buyers sent me a message to hold it for them before someone else buys it. Just as I replied to them, they said "I couldn't wait and was afraid someone would buy it so I bought it already". I was happy my lens was sold and that was the last thing I needed to sell before I go.

After a week the person filed out a return request and said that item had a defect. I said that it was in the description. They said they didn't see it because it wasn't clear(it was very clear in the description, even with a supporting video link) and tried to exploit me for a 150 pounds discount (half of what the listing was). They said "I'd keep it but I'd need 150 pounds". I said this is unacceptable because you didn't read the description properly and rushed into buying it and actually prevented me to sell to one of the other 5 possible buyers who can read the description better than you.

I contacted ebay, told about everything, long story short even though they admit that I was right, they forced me to accept the return. They said they cannot compensate me, they cannot do anything about it because the buyer has the right to return in any case in 30 days.

You take commission from the seller, you clearly be on the buyer's side even though it was a %100 huge buyer mistake. Then why do you have "no returns accepted" selection in the listing and why should I be on your platform to sell things?

I had a good impression so far on ebay because of how easy everything was but this occassion completely killed their image in my eye and once this issue is resolved, I will never ever sell/buy anything here, also tell everyone around me not to use it.

Now I'm about to move to another country, the item will be returned to a friend, I won't be able to receive it and resell it and receive its money. The buyer denied me from selling it to another potential buyer because they rushed it and bought it without reading it. And because of this mistake, ebay is punishing me, telling me that I'm right but at the same time forcing me to accept the return, and in the end the item is going to be sitting in its box in a friend's house for at least another year and maybe devalue even more.

I will never ever use this platform again. This is exploitation, nothing else.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: No protection for the seller - Ebay forced me to accept return

The return policy is horrible for the seller and everyone just bends over and takes it. The money back guarantee supports shady people. Unfortunately its part of the process of being on ebay. I don't understand how anyone can defend it the way it is right now. No returns should mean no returns, and if buyers dont want to take the risk then the item doesn't sell.  Easy.

If you can't relist it and have your friend ship it out for you, then you probably should have just negotiated the partial refund with the buyer. One thing I know is the people that message you before a sale usually turn out to have issues. 

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

If Ebay wants to accept credit cards, they have to offer returns.

Have a great day
Message 17 of 31
latest reply

Possibly. My local restaurants and gas stations accept credit cards but don't believe they offer returns. 

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

I have no doubt that you described your item accurately. But I recognize that there is no feasible way for any marketplace to spend the time required to inspect your item and determine that is the case. Nor is it likely that Ebay or any other marketplace could hire competent people to do they job,.

The final sale sale is no more. It is economically unfeasible and likely to be unfeasible from a government consumer protection point of view as well.

Although this is a big concern for individual sellers especially those with special circumstances, the returns problem has been elevated in importance by large retailers as well.

The result is going to be higher prices, but personal income sluggishness and inflation are delaying the fix.

This problem is not specific to Ebay.

On Amazon, where FBA returns are inspected, many defective items are returned to stock and reshipped to other customers, the intelligent manpower to make the decision is not there. Deciding when an admittedly defective product is not as described is even harder.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

Possibly. My local restaurants and gas stations accept credit cards but don't believe they offer returns. 

Three completely different types of businesses.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 20 of 31
latest reply

@get_it_sell_it wrote:

The return policy is horrible for the seller and everyone just bends over and takes it. The money back guarantee supports shady people. Unfortunately its part of the process of being on ebay. I don't understand how anyone can defend it the way it is right now. No returns should mean no returns, and if buyers dont want to take the risk then the item doesn't sell.  Easy.

If you can't relist it and have your friend ship it out for you, then you probably should have just negotiated the partial refund with the buyer. One thing I know is the people that message you before a sale usually turn out to have issues. 

I wouldn't quite describe it that way.  It is a cost of doing business here or anywhere.  The MBG supports good honest buyers and unfortunately there is always those that will find a way to take advantage of most any system.

Stating how a process / policy works on Ebay is not "defending" anything.  It is simply explaining the subject at hand.  But some do read more into it than just explaining why something happened.  

Ebay is not the only site with policies that could be better written to protect sellers.  It is worse on Amazon BTW.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 21 of 31
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

I realize that and should have expanded a bit. There are two elements that come into play the first is the businesses returns policy which they do not have to have in order to accept credit cards. However, most but not all cc's have some form of return protection that protects the buyers in some but not all situations. 

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

Not sure how it is in a B&M location.

Have a great day
Message 23 of 31
latest reply

I recently started selling some of my stuff on ebay because I'm moving overseas for a while and I want to be as light as possible and because I cannot accept returns and resell, I describe my products %100 accurate.

First, all sellers should list with 100$ accuracy, regardless of their situation or reason for selling.

Second, the fact that you do not want to take returns is not really enforceable, because eBay offers a money-back guarantee and allows any buyer to file a dispute for Not As Described and almost always win it.

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:
@dbfolks166mt wrote:

I realize that and should have expanded a bit. There are two elements that come into play the first is the businesses returns policy which they do not have to have in order to accept credit cards. However, most but not all cc's have some form of return protection that protects the buyers in some but not all situations. 

To accept them on line, you have to accept returns and it's in the contract you sign with the credit card company.

At least that's the way is was when I signed up to accept credit cards on my site.

Have a great day
Message 25 of 31
latest reply

Ebay takes credit cards.    Banks and CC companies all require that companies that take CC must use their terms,  which includes taking returns.

These policies have nothing to do with Ebay,

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

“Card not present” transactions are handled differently than in person transactions. 

But even in the case of in person transactions, chargebacks are possible, in case of stolen cards for example.

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Which it is YOUR responsibility to know the limitations to the No Return Policy you had on the listing.  I realize you are mad at Ebay because you did not understand or know the limitation.

He could have known all about the MBG and would still have gotten taken advantage of.

There is almsot nothing you can do to avoid bad buyers.

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

Pretty sure there are a lot of shady buyers who know how returns work and take advantage of it to get partial refunds. I find that the ones who make statements like "I can still use it but need a partial refund" on unsubstantiated NAD excuses, especially on items priced lower than average, almost always result in the item not being returned. Its just someone phishing for a better deal. Then there are the real pains who dont do the return but then move onto clever feedback extortion that skirts any rule breaking. 

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

“Card not present” transactions are handled differently than in person transactions. 

But even in the case of in person transactions, chargebacks are possible, in case of stolen cards for example.

Quite understand that but there is nothing simple about the use of CC's, their policies and the current laws. Master Card's rules/policy is just over 440 pages. 

https://www.mastercard.us/content/dam/public/mastercardcom/na/global-site/documents/mastercard-rules... 

Their chargeback guide, merchant edition is 730 pages. 

https://www.mastercard.us/content/dam/public/mastercardcom/na/global-site/documents/chargeback-guide... 

There are also a multitude of laws that cannot be over ridden by either the CC policy or the merchants. A lot of these relate to the return of counterfeit items. 

Message 30 of 31
latest reply