cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Seller Needing Advice

I've been selling for a little over a year and will soon acquire my TRS Plus so I switched all of my listings to offer "free shipping" to get the 10% discount on the entire amount rather than just the item price and shipping being separate. However now I can't seem to offer combined shipping discounts for customers who want to purchase multiples of anything as the buyer can no longer request an invoice and eBay doesn't give seller's any means to generate an invoice to send to buyers. And some buyers don't want to pay the full price and then receive a refund back. The only method I know to be able to send an invoice is Paypal but doesn't that violate eBay policy by taking the transaction off eBay? I did have an eBay rep actually tell me to send the invoice via Paypal however. I understand I can just switch the listings all back to include a shipping charge, but I am not a large seller and I could really use the 10% discount on the total rather than just my item price. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Just keep the money and be happy
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@plantaddict wrote:
 ... I switched all of my listings to offer "free shipping" ...  now I can't seem to offer combined shipping discounts ...

It's not possible to offer combined-shipping discounts if you have free shipping. It's also not possible to send an invoice that gives  a discount off the total item cost.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Sorry but this is puzzling.  If you changed all your listing to free shipping, then no combined shipping discount would be available nor would it apply.

Free shipping=no shipping to combine.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I thought the discount was 10% of the FVF only, which would equal an overall discount of just 1% of the total price?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@plantaddict wrote:

I've been selling for a little over a year and will soon acquire my TRS Plus so I switched all of my listings to offer "free shipping" to get the 10% discount

Are you doing free returns also to get the TRS+ status?

Have a great day
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@plantaddict wrote:

I've been selling for a little over a year and will soon acquire my TRS Plus so I switched all of my listings to offer "free shipping" to get the 10% discount on the entire amount rather than just the item price and shipping being separate. 

Just to be clear, a seller does not acquire TRS Plus. A seller acquires Top Rated Status, and once he acquires Top Rated Status then his individual items become eligible for TRS Plus on a case-by-case basis. 

Moving your shipping costs into your item price and then offering free shipping keeps the total cost the same - and will indeed boost your discount because it makes the total amount eligible for the discount. But as you have found, there is a trade-off because giving buyers a break for multiple purchases is not straightforward. 

If that trade-off is not worth saving 1% of your shipping costs (i.e. 7 cents on a $7 shipping charge) it might be easier to go back to charging for shipping and just increasing your item price by a dime. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Free Shipping just means you put your cost for shipping into the asking price for the item.

Which is cheaper a $10 with $5 shipping?

Or a $15 with Free Shipping?

You can reduce your asking prices if you usually get multiple sales, massaging the numbers so that at the end of the month, all your shipping costs have been covered. That's the Big Picture approach.

For example, that $15 with Free Shipping becomes $14 with Free Shipping.

Or you could send each customer who buys multiple products a refund based on your adjusted cost of shipping.

For example, you use PP refund or PP Send Money to send each multiple purchaser $1.00 off his $30 ( two $15 items with Free Shipping). 

Numbers pulled out of thin air.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

What I did when I went to all free shipping is set up a promotion that runs all the time offering 20% off orders of 2 or more items. it's not exact science but after looking at my average shipping charge the percent off discount was similar to what I would have given the old way. It's also easier as it is automatic for the buyer and requires no action from the seller.

You can play with the discount amount up or down,include all your items or just some if you want.

there are other promotion options too like a $ amount off multiple items. 

You can check them out in promotions in the drop down menu under Marketing in the seller hub

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

I thought the discount was 10% of the FVF only, which would equal an overall discount of just 1% of the total price?

Correct. The discount is 10% of the FVF not including shipping. The TRS discount on a $10 with free shipping sale would be a dime.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I've been selling for a little over a year and will soon acquire my TRS Plus so I switched all of my listings to offer "free shipping" to get the 10% discount on the entire amount rather than just the item price and shipping being separate.

Free shipping is not a requirement for TRS or TRS+.

However now I can't seem to offer combined shipping discounts for customers who want to purchase multiples of anything as the buyer can no longer request an invoice and eBay doesn't give seller's any means to generate an invoice to send to buyers.

Why would you do that if you are offering free shipping?  If you aren't stating shipping separately, there is no way to offer a discount on the shipping.

And some buyers don't want to pay the full price and then receive a refund back.

Very few buyers will ask for a discount or refund on the shipment of multiple items when you offer free shipping.  So it is most likely nothing you really need to concern yourself with.

The only method I know to be able to send an invoice is Paypal but doesn't that violate eBay policy by taking the transaction off eBay?

Sending an invoice through PP is NOT the same thing as taking a transaction off Ebay unless you are sending the invoice for something other than an Ebay purchase to an Ebay buyer.  There are times when sending a PP invoice can be very handy on an Ebay purchase.  But for what you are looking for, I think you are worrying about nothing.  I've had free shipping on the vast majority of my listings for years.  And I don't even get a request for discount for shipping once a year.  It almost never happens.

I did have an eBay rep actually tell me to send the invoice via Paypal however. I understand I can just switch the listings all back to include a shipping charge, but I am not a large seller and I could really use the 10% discount on the total rather than just my item price.   Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

A better grasp of the rules would help you a great deal.  You are trying to make your listings conform to something you don't need to conform to in order to get the TRS+ benefit.

Obviously you need to have a selling status of TRS first.  That is the first thing you need to accomplish.  Once you have that, then every listing you have that offers 0-1 day handling time and Free Returns will qualify for TRS+.  All your listings don't have to qualify, you can have 1 qualify or all qualify, or any number in between.  TRS+ is by listing.

With that said, if you are going to be so heavily dependent on the TRS discount, you have some bigger concerns you should look at.  The discount is just not that big of a deal anymore.  For every $100 worth of DOMESTIC sales, you will save you about $1.  That isn't a bunch of money and NO SELLER should be dependent upon the TRS discount to be a profitable business.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 11 of 11
latest reply