cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Mistake: Allowed PayPal for Local Pickup -- What should I do?

I should have selected cash only, I realize that now, rookie mistake on my part.  Item sold for $255.  It's a large heavy item.

Buyer has been uncommunicative which makes it feel scammy, but he has +470 feedback, so maybe he is legit?

He has a business website and physical address listed in his e-mail signature and a phone number with area code that matches that address.  Google maps shows it to be a warehouse.

He said his driver is going to come pick up the item today, gave a phone number for the driver, same area code.

Do I refund paypal and tell them to bring cash?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Newbie Mistake: Allowed PayPal for Local Pickup -- What should I do?

You'll probably be OK, especially if the listing only offered local pickup. One of the exclusions in the buyer protection policy is "Local pickup items that were not collected by, or on behalf of, the buyer", which would seem to protect you against "Item not received" claims.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

If your funds are being held, mark the item as shipped.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/pending-payments?id=415...

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Even with local pick-up where you prefer cash, ebay doesn't enable you to set up the listing to prevent an online payment.   If you'd tried to remove your Paypal email when you set up the listing, you wouldn't have been able to launch it.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I wouldn't be concerned.   Local pick-ups are less of a scam risk than sales through the mail.

(As long as you use basic common sense, the risk of scams is more likely about what you sell rather than how you sell it).

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

You can't require cash payment. You have to offer an electronic payment and accept it if a buyer selects it.
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

This just happened to me, too, but on a less expensive item.  Just to cover myself, and try to prove pick-up, have the driver e-mail you when he leaves/gets there.  Have an invoice ready for him to sign, saying he picked it up.  

As others have mentioned, you can't require cash.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@tamaralea wrote: ....  Have an invoice ready for him to sign, saying he picked it up.  

You could also take pictures of the pickup guy with the item, and his vehicle, including license plate.  None of that will matter if he files an "Item not received" claim, but it might make you feel better and it might make the buyer hesitate about filing.

You do have to offer an online payment method when you set up the listing, but the listing can mention that you prefer cash upon pickup and would give a slight discount for it (since you're saving that 2.9% PayPal fee).

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Since PayPal will allow the buyer to dispute the transaction and I am NOT protected according to PayPal, does this in effect mean I can't list this item for sale on ebay? It seems like such an obvious loophole.

Anyway, I called him and asked him if he wanted me to refund him on PayPal and have him bring cash, he did not want to do that, so I ended up refunding him and cancelling the order.

Lesson learned: Do not list local pickup only items on ebay because the seller is at risk of losing the item AND the money.
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@natalyaaf wrote:
Since PayPal will allow the buyer to dispute the transaction and I am NOT protected according to PayPal, does this in effect mean I can't list this item for sale on ebay? It seems like such an obvious loophole.

Anyway, I called him and asked him if he wanted me to refund him on PayPal and have him bring cash, he did not want to do that, so I ended up refunding him and cancelling the order.

Lesson learned: Do not list local pickup only items on ebay because the seller is at risk of losing the item AND the money.

Hi @natalyaaf! I need to clarify that PayPal does not offer protection for local pickup items. This means that neither the buyer or seller are eligible for PayPal protection claims, so the buyer will not be able to open a dispute through PayPal. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

yup that started about a year ago, my last 3 local pick-up sales were all paid with PAY-PAL. all 3 customers told me they were unable to make the purchase without using pay-pal. it never was like that before.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

If it makes you feel any better, you are required to have an online method of payment listed.
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

You do have to offer an online payment method when you set up the listing, but the listing can mention that you prefer cash upon pickup and would give a slight discount for it (since you're saving that 2.9% PayPal fee).

That's a great idea, @nobody*s_perfect , I have never, ever seen that suggested before!

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Well, well.....well!!!

I had a situation where buyer wanted to meet, except he was 450 miles away. Smiley Very Happy

So, I called Ebay CS and they gave me a galore of things I could do. From meeting face to face and get paid......cash. Smiley LOL

Allow me to say then that I am as lost as the dead body of a big foot. Smiley Tongue

latest reply

I need to clarify that PayPal does not offer protection for local pickup items. This means that neither the buyer or seller are eligible for PayPal protection claims, so the buyer will not be able to open a dispute through PayPal. 

They can simply go directly to their credit card provider instead. 

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Dang it, I wish everyone would quit making 'local pickup only' so much harder than it needs to be. Hundreds upon hundreds of LPO sales go through without a hitch ~ if LPO claims were being filed and LOST through a buyers credit card provider, the boards would be filled with the hairy details...and I just can't imagine that an 'intentional' scammer would pick a LPO listing where he/she knows that they have to show up personally and be seen by the seller.  Could it happen?  Sure, but actually with less of a chance than an ordinary sale.

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 15 of 16
latest reply