cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New sellers are subject to way too harsh scrutiny

I don't really understand it completely.  I know eBay is protecting themselves.  But why entice and discourage new sellers?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

@slati_2013 wrote:

New sellers who show up selling very expensive items are indeed subject to harsh scrutiny by eBay to protect their buyers. It really is not a good idea for a new seller to sell very expensive items. It makes you the seller a target for scammers, and it makes eBay determined to make sure its buyers are protected from scams.

New sellers should start slowly, sell low price items, establish themselves and then move onto more expensive stuff. Smash-and-grab robberies also has eBay on edge trying to prevent these items from being sold on eBay.

That's what they SHOULD be doing, but I see some new sellers on here saying they have a limit of 10.00 or 200.00, etc., and then I see others with brand new accounts listing 5k worth of items. 

I have no idea how ebay comes up with their limits ..

Then again, they send emails for new sellers to sell their tech, sell their 2k+ watches ...........

@d-k_treasures I have been confused as well. I see people with 0 feedback with items for $3K + for sale. Why aren't they restricted???

I started long before restrictions and the high degree of internet fraud. I think eBay was designed to naturally weed out bad sellers via feedback. I believe back then if you couldn't maintain a 98% positive feedback rating over time you were kicked off. Buyers too.

eBay does need to protect against becoming a fencing site. However, why not instead of restricting new sellers based on dollar values, implement more restrictive practices like requiring new seller who sell an item over say $200 must offer 30-day free returns. Or maybe make it category based. Restrict new sellers in categories prone to fraud. Or allow more expensive items in categories that use authentication. 

I think many honest, well-intentioned people come to eBay because they have things of value they want to sell--maybe inherited or downsizing--they see eBay as way to make that happen.  eBay should be welcoming.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

I've been on eBay since 1999, mostly buying, but have sold quite a bit.  There are fraudulent sellers (and buyers) on eBay, and keeping them in check is a godsend when the items are not right.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

All Sellers were new at some point in time. 

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

This is a very old thread and will be closed by the mods soon. I don't disagree with you, but not worth commenting on this thread to say it.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply