cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New seller needs advice

I am new to selling on eBay. I have been trying to de-clutter in preparation for the new school year. I have sold a number of items in the past month, including a bunch of makeup that I had on hand and didn't plan to use. I carefully inspected everything to make sure I l listed the condition appropriately. All of the makeup was deeply discounted. Two individuals have contacted me to indicate that I sold them defective or used makeup, which was not the case at all. I had just purchased three of the eye shadows in June. Another buyer indicated that I did not ship all of the items. One threatened me with an implied negative review. Of course I apologized and refunded all of them because I felt obligated to do so (and they kept the product), but how do I keep this from happening again and again? It seems like it would be very easy to make these kinds of allegations. Selling on eBay isn't inexpensive. Thanks for your advice!

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: New seller needs advice

Thanks so very much! I am very careful to ship nicely. This was very high-end makeup purchased by the buyers at very deep discounts, so I made sure it was treated with care. 

Great advice! Thanks again! 

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Blocked Buyer List.  Changing your settings to block anyone with strikes/unpaid items/etc.  Shocking how well it can work, when it works.  Once in a while I go into my settings to check it out, and there you go, the evidence is right there.  I.D.'s and how many times they've tried to get through.  Kind of like anti-virus protection for your computer.

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

So very true! I am going to request a return if this happens again. Appreciate the words of wisdom!

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Thanks so very much! Great advice!

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

Thanks so very much. I can understand that! I am going to move my palettes to Facebook!

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

You have lovely items, and your pricing is excellent btw.  After I was scammed, I randomly ran into a long-time eBayer at my local post office who listened to my rant, then told me something I will always remember:  "You're selling in a very competitive area, sometimes your competition can create these problems to try to shut you down.  Think like your competition."  I totally got what he was saying.  So just imagine what they're thinking when they see your stuff, and how your good prices might **bleep** them off.  eBay is not the friendly place it used to be back in the day.  Now it's cutthroat.  And yes, sometimes the scammers are other Sellers.  I will never ever sink to that level, but I have a better understanding of it.

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

@delta_doll_1963 wrote:

Thank you so much. I automatically went into Southern girl "fix it" mode. I'm going to have to get tough or I will be taken advantage of for sure!

Hang in there, Doll! Us Southern Girls are gonna be a force to be reckoned with once these scammers learn we may appear sweet and docile, but are actually Steel Magnoliias! You're so right in implying that we are trained from an early age to go straight into fix it mode. Why? Because it's just not gracious or proper to allow anyone to be upset or inconvenienced in any way! Well, it's a new world, Honey. Unfortunately, it's not always a kinder, gentler one. But, you are strong, and you can prevail, and everyone here is with and pulling for you! Best wishes for a ton of successful sales with no returns! (Hey, a girl can dream right?! 😄)

Belle
Message 22 of 26
latest reply

Never did understand why anyone would buy used hygiene items ...

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

Definitely not used. LOL

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

Thank you so much! You understand completely!

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

Also delta,, set your listings to auto-block buyers with 4 or more policy violations. Scammers can easily get four violations, but the have to be reported by sellers!
Message 26 of 26
latest reply