cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New scam method: buyer wanted to send a personal check

EBay should allow sellers a way to report potential buyers who make fraudulent offers. A potential buyer made a reasonable offer for a  high value item that is in demand. She seemed legitimate(Had 326 x 100% satisfaction stars, was a 19+ years member) so I spent a fair amount of research time to find answers to her questions. She was satisfied with the answers and was ready to buy. To finalize the transaction I made a counteroffer. She said "let's meet half way and I will send you a personal check via priority mail. This will save you 3% PayPal fees. When the check is clear you can ship me the item". I replied: "eBay doesn't use Paypal anymore to pay buyers and eBay doesn't allow personal information, address or phone numbers shared on messages. How are you going to get my address to send the check?". Silence! Not a word after this from this chatty lady.... My husband thinks she was trying to get my address and send a robber to our home. I couldn't find a way to report her and ask eBay to check if she is a legitimate member. What does the community think? Was this an attempt to scam me? Does  anybody pay with check on eBay? Thank you for your responses.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: New scam method: buyer wanted to send a personal check

I'd report the buyer..  It has been MANY years since personal checks or money orders have been an acceptable form of payment within eBay policy/guidelines.. and it's NOT allowed anymore.

Since it was the buyer making the offer and mentioning fee avoidance, it's not you who would get in trouble.  

If your messages are in your eBay messages inbox, you have your proof right there.

Stinks of some kind of weird scam to me.

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

If that's what they wanted, they could have purchased a $29 necklace.

VintageCarMagazines

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

Once upon a time, way back in the 90s, buyers paid with Money Orders, Checks and Cash.  Seller's and buyer's names weren't hidden and you could get an addy for anybody.  Then, some would say, that ebay decided to increase their profits by having every penny accounted for so that they got their 'fair share'.  Even to the point of charging FVF on shipping.  I bought a lot from Japan, paying by USPS Int'l M.O., paid UK sellers with pound notes that I had gotten from sales to those in the UK who paid 'cash'. Once, yes, once, I had a check bounce and the buyer was so embarrassed he paid for the bank charges, too.

Ah, but for the good ole days.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 4 of 34
latest reply

"Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often."

I saw that quote on a meme 🙂

eBay started charging FVF on shipping costs long ago because people tried to circumvent FVF's by charging like $5 for an item, and charging $50 for shipping to avoid the FVF, instead of charging $50 for the item and $5 for shipping... eBay always has their own pocket as their first priority, caught on, and from then on the rest of us honest sellers have to now pay the extra cost.

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

And instead of going after the 1% that were doing this they went after the other 99%....sound familiar?

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

This is the kind of worry that all the talk of scammers that is making ebayers jittery. I don't think there is anything unusual about a 19 year vet in here, meaning they are probably an older generation, wanting to pay by check.

ebay goes back and forth about accepting a check, or not. So, maybe you couldn't. But that doesn't mean you're being scammed.

People. Relax. Breath.

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

My listings allow me to accept Personal Checks...? They did remove that for a time but it is back as an option now and has been for a while.

pcobra93_0-1617416702030.png

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

Yes, I think I first saw the quote as a caption on a Morgan Freeman photo.

As far as the FVF fee on the shipping charge, there were other ways around it other than charging everybody.  I remember the comments on the board when they did it, and you think that now they aren't happy about the changes on the seller page .......

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 9 of 34
latest reply

@yeldus2010 

There are a few sellers that'll let buyers pay with checks and money orders, especially some of the older buyers that was around when it was ok.

Maybe, they are one of them and used to some sellers letting them pay that way?

Have a great day.
Message 10 of 34
latest reply

A P.O. Box address doesn't let them know where you live. But nowadays almost everyone's address and phone can be found if they know your name.

Just typing in my first and last name or even my maiden name and nothing else will show you my age, my physical address, my POBox, phone number, voter info, a property record, and more. And this is in the brief information you see  in the results page without having to click on any of the sites for more details. BTW, one well known site has my age off by a year and two other sites have outright wrong information about me. I've asked them to correct it and they won't.   ANYWAY, if you accept a check mske sure it is fully cleared with no chance of it being on a stolen check.  Insure and register valuable items.

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

Thank you for your reply. I hope that is the case. But how would they pay the tax and how can I send my address? EBay wouldn't like it if I send my address to the potential buyer.

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

@pcobra93 You are right. Certain categories allow checks as payment, mainly in Business & Industrial, Motors, and Coins & Paper Money. There is a complete list of allowable categories at the link below which is the Payment Methods policy.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/payment-policies/payment-methods-policy?id=4269

"Listings in one of our approved categories may offer the following additional payment options:

• Bank-to-bank transfers (also known as bank wire transfers and bank cash transfers)
  • Checks
  • Money orders..."
Message 13 of 34
latest reply

"

This is the kind of worry that all the talk of scammers that is making ebayers jittery. I don't think there is anything unusual about a 19 year vet in here, meaning they are probably an older generation, wanting to pay by check.

"

Yep, that lady was in front of me in line at the grocery store at 5:05 p.m. right after I left work.  And out comes the checkbook, hands shaken, she drops the pen on the floor and just can't bend over far enough to pick the pen up in less than three minutes.  OMG,  by 5:10 p.m. the line is seven carts deep and out comes the coupons from an organizer with a label on the outside that reads, S.G.B.Y. Club.  "Seniors Getting Back at Youth".  Whhaaat?

What is this?  A gray panther revenge type club?  People over 75 shouldn't be allowed in stores after four in the afternoon.  They have all day long to shop for food but noooooooooooo, they want to jam it up for the working folks right after they leave work.

lol  ... Then the pen runs out of ink at 5:20.  

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

Was there a plastic squirrel lawn ornament on her belt?  If yes, I was right behind you in line.  Waiting on the price check for the 80+ lovely gal who was buying the fugly plastic squirrel lawn ornament, while my ice cream was melting.  She too, was paying by check.  Or Lillypuddins....something that was taking forever!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 15 of 34
latest reply