cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New eBay Explore AI Powered Recommendation Feed

Heads up - eBay's got a new AI tool in the wild and this one could have some interesting impacts on sellers!

I first saw it when browsing the UK site (which is why these screenshots are for UK), but even though there is not a yet a link in the navigation on the .com home page, I was able to extrapolate the link structure and find it is live on the US site as well and it works pretty much the same way there as in UK.

https://www.ebay.com/explore

First, you choose an interest to personalize your feed - for now only clothing categories are available, but eBay says new interests across Home Decor, Collectibles and more are coming soon.

2024-04-26_14-54-52.jpg

Once you've selected an interest, eBay populates a page with items discovered using AI.

ukexplore4.jpg

Notice there are no titles or seller details shown, only a price and in some cases a brand name. 👀

It's not entirely clear what would cause the brand name to appear for some items and not others, as all the examples I looked at had the brand name item specific filled in on the listing page.

None of the results shown during this testing were labeled as "sponsored" so it would seem eBay is not yet including Promoted Listings ads in the feature, or if they are, they are not properly designated as such as legally required.

If you click on an item, it does not take you to the item page - it displays a quick view pop up window instead. (Side note - also interesting to note that in the UK, the quick view pop up only has a view details button and does not allow the buyer to go directly to checkout without looking at the listing, unlike the US...maybe a regulatory requirement difference?)

ukexplore5.jpg

usexplore1.jpg

All of the thumbnails displayed in eBay Explore also have the "search visually similar" icon in the lower left corner, and clicking that icon will display more results that also do not show any titles or seller details.

ukexplore6.jpg

So what do y'all think about the lack of title and seller info and the Quick View pop up?

I can see how this might potentially be useful for buyers to browse and discover items but I have to admit I personally don't really like that it pretty much strips sellers of the benefits of brand recognition for their stores or the ability to stand out with good titles or feedback rating showing in results. 😒

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Very wary of anything like this generally, but if it ends up driving sales to us as a seller I won't be mad.  I guess there's likely going to be no way to know if it hurts or helps, though.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

You lost me at, "eBay's got a new AI tool."

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

@brightlightbookseller wrote:

Very wary of anything like this generally, but if it ends up driving sales to us as a seller I won't be mad.  I guess there's likely going to be no way to know if it hurts or helps, though.

@brightlightbookseller yeah it will be difficult to tell and I definitely don't think eBay will miss out on the opportunity to monetize it with Promoted Listings for very long, which could muddy those waters even more.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

@hartungcards wrote:

You lost me at, "eBay's got a new AI tool."

@hartungcards believe me, I totally get it....but at the same time, eBay is going to plow ahead with this stuff regardless of what we think so I figure even if it makes you roll your eyes, it's good to know what is happening on the site so you can be aware of the impact it may possibly have on your business.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Is this similar to "shop the look" ? 

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

@valueaddedresource 

I tested it out using your link. I choose Casual to start. The first thing I noticed is many of the items shown were fall and winter. Lots of puffer jackets and heavy sweaters. I did see one dress that caught my eye and when I clicked on it found it to be out of stock 😒

Then I clicked Update Interests and switched to Classic. That was it end of exploring. I saw this and refreshing the page did nothing.

Screenshot 2024-04-26 125008.jpg

I understand this feature may not be ready for "prime time", so not surprised by the error.  

I think it could be useful for buyers. Especially, for those like me who love to window shop. There was a nice selection of clothing, handbags, and shoes in the little bit that I saw, even if many were out of season. I think I would have bought the dress I clicked on if it were in stock.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

@b86fiero wrote:

@b86fiero it is similar, but slightly different functionality.

Shop The Look is initially only available in the app experience and it theoretically works by showing you pictures of a "look" (full outfit on a person) with hot spots on the images that allow you to tap the hat the person is wearing, or the purse they are carrying, or the shirt etc. to shop similar items.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Introducing-Shop-the-look-eBay-curating-personalized-out... 

Explore starts with an "interest" rather than a look, then recommends a wide variety of things it thinks fit that interest with no obvious way that I saw to narrow it down to hats, purses, shirts etc. and than once you see something in the initial feed you like, you can see more items like that with the visually similar search function.

I'm assuming that there may be machine learning built in as well so that over time if you use it it learns what kinds of things you like and automatically personalizes the feed more - it appears you do have to be logged in to access that page so clearly it's dependant on being able to access your account data and history.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@valueaddedresource 

I tested it out using your link. I choose Casual to start. The first thing I noticed is many of the items shown were fall and winter. Lots of puffer jackets and heavy sweaters. I did see one dress that caught my eye and when I clicked on it found it to be out of stock 😒

Then I clicked Update Interests and switched to Classic. That was it end of exploring. I saw this and refreshing the page did nothing.

Screenshot 2024-04-26 125008.jpg

I understand this feature may not be ready for "prime time", so not surprised by the error.  

I think it could be useful for buyers. Especially, for those like me who love to window shop. There was a nice selection of clothing, handbags, and shoes in the little bit that I saw, even if many were out of season. I think I would have bought the dress I clicked on if it were in stock.

@mcdougle4248 yep, I got that oops message a couple times too but refreshing did fix it for me...and I'll admit it did make me wonder if some of the other "oops" we've been seeing around here the last week or so could be related to eBay trying to add this functionality into the mix with unintended technical consequences.

Great observation about the seasonality and yikes on the out of stock! That would definitely be something the AI should be able to catch and know not to display since that's not likely to be a positive buyer experience.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

@b86fiero wrote:

I wondered that, too, looking at the original cluttered flat-lays, but I think it's individual items trying to match a specified interest as @valueaddedresource  says.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

even if many were out of season

@mcdougle4248 

Just to add a bit of levity, can you expand on "out of season".  Do you mean fashion from three years ago?  OR

not suited to the weather?  LOL....where I live there is basically one climate...hot or hotter.  Though we had more than the usual reprieve from the normal "hotter" of late, it is likely attributed to climate change (previously known as global warming, except for the fact we could turn off the Air Conditioners in February for a few days) .   

I am moving soon to an area that actually has REAL seasons with leaves that fall off trees, and snow. I have no idea what the "fashion" is going to be, and wondering if I should buy those plastic red lobster flip flops on AZ before they cut out the presentation of "non-seasonal" items....LOL.   The photo below is not accurate.  From actual observations of vehicles that have traveled here from across the state, it is likely Lovebug Season.   

Carry on.  

seasons.jpg

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

That's a great point too @ittybitnot - I also got a lot of heavy sweaters and puffer jackets when I tried the US one and didn't think about it at the time but being logged in with a Florida zip code....yeah the bot should have been smart enough to figure that one out regardless of season. 

Also 1000% on love bug season. 😂

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Depending on what a browsing buyer is shown, they could walk away if it took too long before they saw something they wanted.

Might be ideal for those who enjoy surfing the inventory.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

even if many were out of season

@mcdougle4248 

Just to add a bit of levity, can you expand on "out of season".  Do you mean fashion from three years ago?  OR

not suited to the weather?  LOL....where I live there is basically one climate...hot or hotter.  Though we had more than the usual reprieve from the normal "hotter" of late, it is likely attributed to climate change (previously known as global warming, except for the fact we could turn off the Air Conditioners in February for a few days) .   

I am moving soon to an area that actually has REAL seasons with leaves that fall off trees, and snow. I have no idea what the "fashion" is going to be, and wondering if I should buy those plastic red lobster flip flops on AZ before they cut out the presentation of "non-seasonal" items....LOL.   The photo below is not accurate.  From actual observations of vehicles that have traveled here from across the state, it is likely Lovebug Season.   

Carry on.  

seasons.jpg

😂

We have two seasons: Rainy and Construction.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

@ittybitnot 

I mean not being suited to the weather.

I live in SE Arizona, near the Mexican border. With an elevation of 4,600 ft above sea level, none of the seasons bring extreme weather. Today it is 73°.  Earlier in the week it was in the 80°s. I have been running around in shorts and short sleeves all week.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply