cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Seller w/ PayPal & Shipping Questions

New Seller w/ PayPal & Shipping Questions

Hello eBay Community,

I am fairly new to eBay and am trying out some new selling options.  I have questions ...

1)  I usually include shipping in the sale price and then offer "Free Shipping" to the buyer.  For this listing, however, I sold the book at $5 and had the buyer pay shipping (media mail) fees.  When the item sold, $5 was placed in my PayPal account but the shipping label screen asked/required me to pay the fees.  The packing slip shows evidence of shipping being calculated for the seller, but I don't know where these funds were placed (see pictures below).  My PayPal account only shows $5 - It's actually less, now that I've paid for shipping.  Please help me to understand.

2017-07-26 09.36.29.jpg

2)  In a different listing, I have each book priced at $8.24 w/ shipping included.  A customer has contacted me and asked that I lower the price as she wishes to purchase all the books in the listing.  1st, is this allowed (I'm sure it is, just checking)?   2nd, If I choose to say yes, how do I do this correctly through eBay? 

3)  Strictly a Pay Pal question:  I recently sold two items at $5.  For the first, funds were deposited immediately.  For the 2nd PayPal says the funds are pending and will not be released till 08/09.  Thoughts?Simple question:  For USPS purposes, is Puerto Rico is considered "shipping to US"?  Is there anything special I need to do for this sale? 

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: New Seller w/ PayPal & Shipping Questions

I revised the listing - lowered the price to $5.24 and adjusted shipping to "buyer will pay."
I'm assuming/hoping that eBay will calculate shipping correctly if a customer purchases all the items ... ???

No, you have simply lowered the price of one.

You need to either bundle them together,  or create a free shipping discount on the higher priced listing.

You can also charge shipping, but offer free shipping on 2nd and subsequent ones, which might work out for you here.

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Thank you, I went back in and removed the free shipping. 🙂
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

Thank you, I went back in and removed the free shipping. Smiley Happy

Cool. It now offers a $14.99 discount for buying all 8.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

I'm assuming/hoping that eBay will calculate shipping correctly if a customer purchases all the items ... ???

Assuming you entered the weight for each book in as 1 pound, in this case the eBay calculator will not get it too terribly wrong. It will simply add up all 8 and charge for an 8 pound package - the actual weight will be a pound or 2 less because that 8 pounds includes the weight of a box for all 8 books instead of 1 larger box. Itoosed all 8 in my cart and it was so.

In general it gets much more complicated than that - especially when shipping say 10 oz items FCP. When 2 are bought, the calculator charges shipping for 2 10 oz FCP packages (2 x $3.46 = $6.92), but the limit for online FCP is 16oz. You either ship seperately, or ship Priority Mail at 2 pounds ($6.52-$10.28), and eat the difference or make a few dollars depending on destination. You need to set up specific combined shipping rules to cover these situations and apply them on a per listing basis.

Going to point out a few things and let the others here field the issues:

We talked about using FedEx in the other long thread a while ago, but FedEx for a $5.00 book is not really an appropriate use. You should be offering Priority Mail (PM) and especially thinking about using PM Padded Flat Rate Envelopes ($6.50) if you can ship the item safely in one. PM would get to here on the West coast almost as fast as the $32 FedEx 2 day, and way faster than Smartpost (8days) or Ground (5days) for only 25¢ to 75¢ more, and you get free boxes or envelopes with PM. For destinations closer to you Priority Mail is way cheaper than either any of the FedEx options. FedEx shipping is for heavier items (10+ pounds) or items that incur large dimensional weight hits (big and light).

The Collapsible Shopping bag:  FedEx Ground and Express aren't really appropriate there either (nobody is going to pay $47.48 to ship a plastic shopping bag) From your item description it looks like it folds to 11 x 14 x 1 so would easily ship Priority Mail with no dim wt issues, and Priority Mail is a good fast choice here. Parcel Select isn't any cheaper than PM depending on what you are doing with passing discounts on to buyers so could go either way in terms of on bothering to offer it.

The Glucerna Shakes:  Had a heck of a time figuring out if that price was for 1 shake or more. The only place the qty is found is in your payment instructions at the bottom of the shipping and payments tab. Many buyers will just pass on it, and it's a way to set yourself up for a SNAD problem.

You need to put that in the title, in the Item Specifics (IS), and in the body to make it obvious. Use all 80 characters of the title to get as much info across in the search results.

Having said that, your price looks to be high (about double market rate?) And you have it as 10 oz bottles not 8 oz (photo and appears 8oz is the only size sold).

You have both Parcel Select and Retail Ground on there - they are the same service just different pricing. Pick one or the other.

Second category. I don't do it and can't comment on cost effectiveness, but can say I almost never look for anything on ebay by category unless I'm browsing something specific like tennis racquets ending soonest just to poke around. If I were looking for glucerna I'd search it out and category would be irrelevant since there should be few enough returned results that wouldn't need to filter by category.

Try to make Priority Mail work more - especially for the items you have up now. Buyers like it, it's less hassle for you (dump it in a blue box instead of going to FedEx, free boxes, etc), and it beats out FedEx often except for big and/or heavy.

Good luck.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

@belladova wrote:

Thank you for your insight,

Actually the image that I've uploaded regarding the book shows that the buyer was charged shipping - bottom right $2.63.  My question/concern is that when I went to print the shipping label (image above) Paypal charged me for the shipping fees.  😞

Nope, you were charged $2.63. The seller always is the one who pays for the actual postage. If you only got $5.00 in your PayPal account, then you sold the book for $5.00 with free shipping. That $2.63 is taken out of the $5.00. If you had sold it with shipping, you would have received $7.63 to PayPal and then YOU still would have paid $2.63, but the total that the buyer paid would compensate for that. 

The buyer never actually pays for shipping. They pay you, you pay the postal service/PayPal.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

@belladova wrote:
Thank you for your insight
I revised the listing - lowered the price to $5.24 and adjusted shipping to "buyer will pay."
I'm assuming/hoping that eBay will calculate shipping correctly if a customer purchases all the items ... ??

Don't do that.  YOU use the shipping calculator if you want to charge calculated shipping, which is based on dimension and weight. Otherwise, you can choose flat rate. eBay doesn't do any of your work. <<<that's just the facts.

Those are just some of the things you will need to learn about, preferably before you sell an item for $5 without considering 13% for fees, plus the cost of the label, and your acquisition and packaging expenses will all come out of that $5.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Not sure why you need that many shipping options. Here is all 8 shipped to me in Portland:

shop.jpg

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

Not sure why you need that many shipping options. Here is all 8 shipped to me in Portland:

May be partly my fault (even tough I never make mistakes). We covered that in OP's previous thread and I nudgedish toward offering choices. Choice number and type however need to be matched to item type, value, demographic, weight, size, and "gotta have it right nowww-ness").

Guess we didn't find the middle ground on that issue 🙂

Message 23 of 23
latest reply