cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neutral Feedback

"I have no idea how to rate this item, because I have not used it yet. But since I keep getting emails from eBay requesting that I rate it, I figured maybe if I did I would stop getting emails about it."

I sold an item to a buyer months ago. Apparently eBay has been sending the buyer countless emails asking the buyer to rate the item. In anger I am guessing, the buyer left the feedback above. A neutral feedback.

How do I go about this? If anyone is to blame, it is eBay. I don't know how requesting a feedback revision even helps since the buyer is already upset at the countless emails eBay is sending. Me sending another email is just going to anger the buyer even more. Can I get eBay to remove it?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Neutral Feedback

eBay should remove it, since it's not about the transaction between you and the buyer. It surely doesn't hurt to ask.  

And even if you're stuck with the neutral, it's not so bad; anybody who reads it will see that it reflects more on the buyer than on you.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I think I would contact the buyer and explain that you had nothing to do with that feedback request. Ask about a feedback revision, and I bet they would remove it.  I never ask for feedback, and those auto message would be very annoying. 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Yes, that is my plan, to call eBay and request it be removed. If they refuse, I plan not to respond to it. Or should I? I think others can see the feedback has nothing to do with my service or products. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@myfrugalboutique wrote:

I think I would contact the buyer and explain that you had nothing to do with that feedback request. Ask about a feedback revision, and I bet they would remove it. ... 

I'd be afraid that this particularly irrational  buyer would change the neutral to a neg, or at least revise the text to add a complaint about the seller.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@slati_2013 wrote: ... If they refuse, I plan not to respond to it. Or should I? I think others can see the feedback has nothing to do with my service or products. 

IMHO you should not reply to the neutral feedback. It stands on its own irrational basis.  And adding a response would only draw attention to it on your feedback page.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Neutrals don't count against your selling account. Most buyers don't look at feedback anymore but those that do look at negatives. Anyone that did look at this comment would simply laugh and feel badly for you. If anything, this may help you out in that regard. Try not to concentrate on this and please do not respond to it either. You will only draw attention to it. Best of luck to you....

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@slati_2013 wrote:

Yes, that is my plan, to call eBay and request it be removed. If they refuse, I plan not to respond to it. Or should I? I think others can see the feedback has nothing to do with my service or products. 

Don't reply to it (just yet)

Don't contact the Buyer

Do contact eBay, it should be an easy removal.

Keep your story simple (3 bullet points), the feedback itself provides all the detail a csr would need but they sometimes need to be pointed in the right direction. "buyer gave a neutral specifically because of too many reminders by eBay to leave feedback".

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I would contact eBay but I wouldn't contact the buyer. Clearly this buyer doesn't want to be contacted about feedback. For what it's worth, the neutral won't hurt your 100% feedback rating.  I do read neutral and negative feedback when I shop but there is no rational person on Earth who would think less of you because of this neutral feedback. If there is an irrational shopper who would avoid you because of this neutral feebdack, they would probably be more trouble than they are worth.

I wouldn't sweat this feedback at all.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Update: I called eBay today and the feedback was removed. Took less than three minutes. I did not say anything other than explain what had happened. After two minutes on hold as he reviewed the issue, the CS guy told me to give it 24 hours and it will be gone. Thank you eBay. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I'm glad the FB was removed for you.  That is how it should be.

"I sold an item to a buyer months ago."  Buyers or sellers are only allowed to leave FB for up to 60 days from the transaction.

As to those pesky reminder emails they send out.  I don't like them either.  So I'm certainly with you on that.  Once years ago I got a negative FB from it.  But your buyer really did over react.  Ebay only sends one or two reminders.  It isn't like they spam a buyer until they give in.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@myfrugalboutique wrote:

I think I would contact the buyer and explain that you had nothing to do with that feedback request. Ask about a feedback revision, and I bet they would remove it. ... 

I'd be afraid that this particularly irrational  buyer would change the neutral to a neg, or at least revise the text to add a complaint about the seller.

I'm not sure that is allowed.  I could be wrong, but I don't think the revision process allows a buyer to do that.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

You got ebay on the phone?

Are you royalty?  

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@clown_car_driver wrote:

You got ebay on the phone?

Are you royalty?  

It is not hard to get Ebay on the phone.  Especially when they offer the Call Back option.  Are you having trouble getting in touch with Ebay?

Message 14 of 14
latest reply