cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Net Profit? what net profit?

Ebay sellers would benefit greatly if they itemized every cost associated with their sales. I just did it right down to the last penny and was sickened by what ebay is charging sellers per sale. With taxes, insertion fees, seller fees, and shipping, profit margins on ebay are nearly worse than just giving the item away. I honestly don't know how some people sell items for under 20.00 unless they're getting them for free. My seller fees with shipping on just one of my items is substantially more than the build cost of the item. My choice is to raise my price and sell nothing. Am I missing some ebay selling secret here?

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

@tdebuys wrote:

Yep but not many people know where or how to buy an item that only costs $2 that the public will pay $18 to buy.  900% mark-ups are not very common on items that will sell in a volume.

Correct.

And not many people know how to use $2 worth of groceries to make a meal that the public will pay $25 to buy. That is what separates a successful restaurant from the dozens and dozens of failed ones. 

If it was easy to make money on eBay by simply buying an item wholesale and marking up, then everyone would be selling here and everyone would be rich. 

The barrier to entry on eBay is incredibly low - all it takes is a computer, a checking account and a pulse. And with millions and millions and millions of sellers competing to find sources of inventory, it takes a special knack to continually find sources of inventory that the others have missed. 

IMHO 95% of the work on eBay is sourcing inventory. All the rest of it - photographing, listings, packing shipping - does not really require much skill. 

Message 31 of 69
latest reply

@jeeplvr2000 wrote:

My items cost more than that to make. Ebay is getting rich off seller fees and I am barely making a profit because of those fees. 

I disagree.

You and you alone decide what items to sell here, and you have the ability to determine whether the items you choose are profitable or not. 

If you are choosing items that are not profitable, your problem is not eBay - your problem is math. 

Message 32 of 69
latest reply

" I think the ongoing increase in shipping costs has done more damage to Selling than the eBay fees, those are just percentages used to calculate profit margins"

Agreed.

What I am seeing in a great deal of post is the users did not even know ebay has been charging a fee for such;

Of course if they did not know that they would not have even realized the cost increase over all to their profit of shipping cost increase....

MP has done a bit of good in that folks are now realizing some of the cost that they did not know...

Message 33 of 69
latest reply

Exactly. I see this ALL the time. Resellers at auctions paying way more than they should to make any kind of profit. They usually only last a couple years and disappear but there is always someone else to take their place. They don't have the knowledge to know who they are bidding against.

They get caught up in bidding wars at live auctions. Either to amateur bidders trying to assert themselves, an amateur getting run up by an experienced reseller, or someone (and I see experienced resellers do this too) bidding against an end user.

I see used stuff sell all the time at live auctions that you could buy brand new, direct from manufacturer, with warranty for same price or less.

Message 34 of 69
latest reply

@oldcoin007 wrote:

Hi - I buy something, hold on to it for a while, then sell it for a loss on ebay. You have to consider selling on ebay as a recreational thing & not as a profit thing. 

OK it does take all kinds:

and folks can do what they want...

No very practical from my viewpoint.... But if you get you kicks or need a tax loss.....

Message 35 of 69
latest reply

Good points.  I think that speaks to those who have complained about the "big" increase in fees but not realizing that for the very first time in their Selling history the value of the PayPal fees were suddenly showing up in the MP fee structure total instead of being blind to them (so to speak) on the PayPal site.

The bottom line on fees is that they are relatively the same with MP compared to the eBay-PayPal model, some higher and some lower depending on category, shipping costs, sales tax fees, etc.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 36 of 69
latest reply

@jeeplvr2000 wrote:

My items cost more than that to make. Ebay is getting rich off seller fees and I am barely making a profit because of those fees. 

Not to be snarky, but it's possible selling on eBay isn't for you. Online marketplace fees are normally in the 10% - 20% range. Some might be lower or higher. But that's where the more popular ones are at currently.

Nobody likes paying fees, but realize you are putting your item on a virtual store shelf that is open 24 hours with a massive worldwide customer base. They also may advertise or recommend your product a little. Not to mention some customer service (whether or not it is good is a different topic). And possibly other things I'm forgetting or leaving out.

The alternative is building your own website. Nothing wrong with doing it. But potentially a lot of work. Might even be worth doing while also selling here or elsewhere. But that has it's own fees and costs. Not to mention whatever costs you may incur just to drive traffic to it. Even then, depending on your processor. CC fees could range between 2.5-6% plus maybe a monthly fee.

Message 37 of 69
latest reply

@jeeplvr2000 wrote:

Then you raise your price until you do make a profit.

If your bug zappers then don't sell because they are higher priced than factory made ones from a low income country, you might want to do some "branding" to make it more interesting.

• Push the Made in the USA point. Flags. Picture of the shop.
  • This is just part of a bug zapper. Is it for repair of one that broke? Say so. 
  • Can you sell the rest of the zapper?

Apparently your product is aimed at the DIYer. Is there a market for the "Buy it and use it" product? Can you supply that market?

Can you show the zapper in action?

Why is it better than buying one at WallyMart?

At least one poster here is selling for the satisfaction not for the money. Are you sure you are not that guy?

Message 38 of 69
latest reply

I Know This Is Not Helpful, But OUCH!!

Message 39 of 69
latest reply

Yes, the ability to determine, in advance, if an item can be sold for a profit. I'm assuming you make those boards, are you able to compete with companies that make hundreds, thousands, or more of them? 

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 40 of 69
latest reply

There was a saying started in the Building an eBay Business board some time ago (board has been merged into this one):

You make your profits when you buy, you collect them when you sell.

Know your numbers.  Only you know what it will cost you in shipping costs, shipping supply costs, overhead, fees, acquisition costs..... and only you can say what is an acceptable profit margin for your time/effort.  So do the math -- if you know you can sell that widget for $25 on eBay, but you also know it's going to cost you $23 to acquire, list, pack, sell, and finally ship.... maybe it's not such a good deal after all.  $2 doesn't sound like a very good margin... unless you have a relatively unlimited supply and can streamline some of the handling/processing to lower those costs while still achieving a proper delivery.

When I decided to start liquidating my elongates, I put together a spreadsheet that took every, and I do mean every, cost into consideration.  Detailed down to the level of the cost of the envelope for mailing, the sheet of paper for the packslip, the clear desk tape to hold the pouched elongate to the packslip.... very detailed, very easy to update (I could put in the cost of a box of 100 envelopes, indicate the qty was 100 units, and the spreadsheet determined cost per envelope, etc).  Then I put in the cost of rolling my own pennies (The Memphis Zoo is a favorite of mine) and in another copy of the same spreadsheet I would use the cost per unit of the bulk lots (1000-5000 elongates each) I was buying.

I did all this a) because I'm a computer nerd, and b) so there would be no surprises in my bank balance each month.  If an auction sold for more than starting bid, then I knew I had a coin of interest.  Most sold for starting bid and I was perfectly fine, and profitable, with that.  Supplies and new bulk lots were always funded from the proceeds of previous sales -- that was the deal I had made with my wife way back when I was still buying/selling via BBS message boards.  I could buy anything I wanted online... I just couldn't use any of the family money (our W2 incomes) to do so.  I'd have to sell enough to buy what I wanted.  Which only slowed me down a bit... then I started selling on consignment and eventually full-time/self-employed.

What once was a restriction became a motivational point - and lead to my second career.  🙂

It's no big secret -- you just have to know the numbers and do the math.  It will only slow you down at first - with time, you'll get better.  And faster.  And more profitable.  Or you'll retire from online selling.

"Don't buy what you wouldn't want to live with - because you might have to."

"Never bet the rent - not every listing sells, or sells for as much as you needed it to."

What are other sellers, who are selling the same thing(s) you are trying to sell, doing to make their listings more popular, their products more desirable?  Title keywords?  Pictures?  Description?  Find out by checking the Solds and see if you can find out what the best sellers have in common... and can you do the same with your listings and products.

It's a process, not a secret.  Learn to use it to your advantage and your perspective will change.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 41 of 69
latest reply

(Reply in "luckythewinner" style.)     😉

Ebay sellers would benefit greatly if they itemized every cost associated with their sales.

Most of us already do (the smarts ones).

I just did it right down to the last penny and was sickened by what ebay is charging sellers per sale.

You were sickened that you mis-priced your items?

With taxes, insertion fees, seller fees, and shipping, profit margins on ebay are nearly worse than just giving the item away. I honestly don't know how some people sell items for under 20.00 unless they're getting them for free. My seller fees with shipping on just one of my items is substantially more than the build cost of the item. 

I sell a item for $10 + $4 shipping. The item cost me 99 cents. After shipping, taxes, fess, supplies and every other expense you can possibly imagine, i make a $7.  Of that a measly $6 is profit.   That's a measly 500% profit.  I sold 1 as i was typing this.  

My choice is to raise my price and sell nothing. Am I missing some ebay selling secret here?

Find better, more profitable things to sell. It's not easy. It takes time and effort. I wont sell anything unless after all expenses i can at  least double my money.  Good luck!

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 42 of 69
latest reply

blah blah blah (not you @inhawaii - i just hit reply cause your was last post)...

see posts like this (from OP) all the time and frankly I laugh usually. I can't for the life of me understand why people come here to sell then complain about not making money. ALL this stuff should have been figured out prior to someone deciding to sell and try and make a business for themselves. Yes, there are a lot of thing you can swing by on, learn along the way and grow into later, but the basics HAVE to be understood, planned out, and considered. Profit is the biggest of things. 

Often, i also see a lot of post, usually from newbies, about topics like "what to sell on ebay?" / "how to make money on ebay?" / "how to price on ebay?" / "where to source items from for selling on ebay?" / "have you seen the fees! OMG, I lost ALL profit!" ... if you need to come to board and ask questions like this then IMO shouldn't be selling. 

Sellers who have been here and made a business for themselves have all this understood and have a good plan already laid out. When you look at each individual seller and look at the things they sell one needs to understand that majority of them are selling the items they are selling because they have experience in those type of item, extensive knowledge, years in the industry, know where, how and when to get stock and how to make PROFIT from it, even after all the fees, taxes, taxes they have to pay, shipping, all expenses etc... And I have always said on these boards when people ask... SELL WHAT YOU ARE KNOWLEDGED ABOUT - as example, don't go trying to sell football cards for 1K if you know nothing about trading cards just because that happens to be trending at the moment (and heading for a huge crash... again btw) or because terapeak shows huge profits happening at the time. You'll get burnt, maybe not right away, but it will happen! 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 43 of 69
latest reply

The buyer is paying, and eBay is collecting, the sales tax but it is not coming out of your gross sale price. EBay is adding it to the what they are collecting from the buyer. True you pay the eBay fee on both the sales tax and the shipping but you should factor that into your pricing or handling charges. 

Message 44 of 69
latest reply

...on side note... looked at OP's profile, usually i don't, been here since 2000. has good feedback. sure he knows how to sell and how to source. My post is a in general thought, not specifically aimed at OP, but do see a lot of threads from users asking the things I mentioned, and I still say don't sell if you don't know. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 45 of 69
latest reply