cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NPB and second chance offers

Help Please....

My Sis-in-law sold a very expensive Barbie on a auction.  Buyer would not pay, and so it was offered to second highest bidder, and they purchased and paid.

HERE'S THE QUESTION: Does she have to file a NPB to get back her eBay fees from the highest bidder of the auction that wouldn't pay??

I have been selling on here almost 25 years and could not answer that question for her as Ive never done a Second chance offer myself.

Thank you for anyone that can help answer this question!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@argyleavenueantiques wrote: ...  Does she have to file a NPB to get back her eBay fees from the highest bidder of the auction that wouldn't pay??...

Listing fees (subtitle, reserve, etc.) are not refundable, and final value fees are charged when the buyer pays.  So there are no fees that would be refunded if she cancels the transaction based on nonpayment.

She should have canceled the original transaction before sending the SCO, to eliminate the risk of having two paying buyers for one item. So she should do it ASAP.  This will also give the nonpaying buyer a strike on their account; if they get two strikes in 12 months, they'll be automatically blocked by most sellers. 

Here is the Help page about what to do if a buyer doesn't pay:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items-buyers?id=4137 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I'd file a NPB regardless of if the refund of the FVF fee is automatic. It only takes a minute and helps other sellers. I only did one second chance offer back in 2021 and IIRC, I had to do something to indicate the first buyer had not gone through with the transaction anyway to get that option. but I may be wrong. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

She needs to file the cancellation as a non paying buyer. Otherwise I believe the transaction will remain open with the possibility they could still pay. No fees are charged unless they pay, other than maybe reserve fees if used and those aren’t refundable regardless.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@argyleavenueantiques wrote: ...  Does she have to file a NPB to get back her eBay fees from the highest bidder of the auction that wouldn't pay??...

Listing fees (subtitle, reserve, etc.) are not refundable, and final value fees are charged when the buyer pays.  So there are no fees that would be refunded if she cancels the transaction based on nonpayment.

She should have canceled the original transaction before sending the SCO, to eliminate the risk of having two paying buyers for one item. So she should do it ASAP.  This will also give the nonpaying buyer a strike on their account; if they get two strikes in 12 months, they'll be automatically blocked by most sellers. 

Here is the Help page about what to do if a buyer doesn't pay:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items-buyers?id=4137 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@frankenhobbit wrote: .... I only did one second chance offer back in 2021 and IIRC, I had to do something to indicate the first buyer had not gone through with the transaction anyway to get that option..... 

SCOs are also used when the seller has a duplicate item, so there is no requirement to close out the original transaction before sending the SCO.  IIRC, sellers are advised to close it out first if they have only one item.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply