cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOT Another Slow Sales Thread

Anybody else here tired of reading about slow sales? Since we can't control eBay's systems or their search engine, let's post about what we CAN do as sellers to have a better and more profitable sales experience. Even if they are things we all know about and incorporate into our regular business model, a little reminder never hurt anyone. Maybe in the process some of us can pick up new tips.

- Do regular research on your category(ies) to see if there are any new trends in price, shipping or demand.

- Do regular research on competitive pricing based on item condition and availability. Look at solds, not just actives, and do research across the 'net, not solely on eBay.

- If you are stuck with your category then add some variety to your inventory. You may even discover a new category you love & do well with in the process!

- If you have old, stale inventory that's just not moving experiment with different listing types (auction vs BIN), utilize markdown and promotional tools if you have a store subscription, and bundle things into lots. If you have to, sell at a break-even price just to move old items and use the funds towards fresh inventory (that you have hopefully researched before acquiring).

- Do a refresh of your listings from photos to description to keywords in your title.

Your turn! Share a tip if you've got one and let's encourage and motivate each other. What can I say? I'm having a Polyanna moment.
Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: NOT Another Slow Sales Thread

Hello everyone,

This thread is getting a bit heated.  Please remember that it’s fine to disagree with others, but

discussion should always remain courteous and respectful.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 16 of 52
latest reply

@timemachine777 wrote:

We've done that. The board archives are littered with them. The reason your sick of seeing slow sales threads are because they tend to get posted a lot by sellers that don't hang out on the boards. So you end up seeing daily clusters of them. I see sellers that are doing 100 sales a week post slow sale threads. That's just the way it is.

I was stunned to get 10 sales in five days from June28th - July 4th. Holy smokes. It's been almost like the old days, but I can't tell you what I've done differently except to add a few auctions and change a few prices. 

Message 17 of 52
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

Start with a single category of items you have for sale and edit each listing individually and double check the item specifics.  eBay is always adding and changing sub cats for item specifics.  This happens because the buyers actions change all the time so eBay works hard to direct buyers/ and sellers to the correct categories for search terms.

eBay will now give you suggestions to new or changes to the item specifics for your item and you can either accept the suggestions or not.

If there is one thing that is going to be very important come this fall and into the holiday selling season it is being shown in the correct categories that buyers will buy your items from.

This is the best suggestion I could give all sellers across the board.

Good Luck Selling!

ebay is so far behind the times when it comes to real life instead of trending data of the hour, they are just now realizing that Beanie Babies are no longer hot sellers.

I would think someone with your brilliance would have at least looked up the details before posting something that appears to be untrue?.  Click the link below to see the documented truth about beanie baby sales on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=beanie+baby%27s&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_t...

Message 18 of 52
latest reply

I remember about 10 - 15 years ago when there were well over a million beanies listed on ebay - not 110,000.  And considering that ONLY 26,000 of them sold, I'd hardly say they were hot sellers.

(*Bleep*)
Message 19 of 52
latest reply

Message 20 of 52
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

I remember about 10 - 15 years ago when there were well over a million beanies listed on ebay - not 110,000.  And considering that ONLY 26,000 of them sold, I'd hardly say they were hot sellers.

Yes I knew you would comeback with this exact same exception to the facts.  No facts but still making statements you can not support.

I showed actual true data.  Where is your data to support your claim?  You can pull up old data.  A smart person like yourself should be able to supply this data.

The fact is that this item must be a very good seller because if you search Beanie Baby you get the new cataloged view that all of eBay is going to in the near future. 

Good Luck!

Message 21 of 52
latest reply

@odditiesandantiquities1 wrote:

@timemachine777 wrote:

We've done that. The board archives are littered with them. The reason your sick of seeing slow sales threads are because they tend to get posted a lot by sellers that don't hang out on the boards. So you end up seeing daily clusters of them. I see sellers that are doing 100 sales a week post slow sale threads. That's just the way it is.

I was stunned to get 10 sales in five days from June28th - July 4th. Holy smokes. It's been almost like the old days, but I can't tell you what I've done differently except to add a few auctions and change a few prices. 

Sometimes you don't have to do anything at all, and selling resumes. I once ran a test on one of my test accounts, and I posted about 400 listings. They struggled for the first 3 to 4 months with only a few sales a month. I never added new inventory, nor made any changes. I just kept doing the relists...250 BIN and the rest in auction format. 

I think it was the 5th and 6th month that sales suddenly out of no where shot up, and I was doing about 25 sales a month and then it gradually declined again. I think it was about a year before I made any changes, and that didn't produce a pop, nor did adding new listings. Eventually it got back up to about 25 sales a month on its own.

Here's a good one...Last year, at this time I shut down my store on another account that I had 400 listings on. 3 months in a row I did 3 sales. Just enough to pay my store fees each month. The sales were always clustered right before my Paypal account was debited for fees. So I just let the listings end each day an didn't relist them.

eBay actually calls me after the account is inactive for a week. They are offering me a store promo, if I start selling again. I turn the guy down, and told him that I was only selling enough too make my store fees over the past 3 months. He guaranteed me that if I did the promo, that I would get more sales.

I was game. I could afford the store fees normally, even if I got zero sales. So why not do the promo just to see how that same inventory was suddenly going to start selling, just by simply relisting it.

I start relisting everything about 10 listings a day. My views gradually increase like normal as I add more and more relists everyday. I'm not doing anything different than before. I start getting sales, and for the next 2 months they ramp up, and once the store promo ended, the sales dropped again. I ended up keeping the store closed this time. I did get my sales like he promised though.

Here's the charts for that activity.

9 sales9 sales31 sales31 sales

Message 22 of 52
latest reply

I would think someone with your brilliance ...

The mod said we had to be courteous and respectful.  I'm going to tell on you unless you give me your lunch money.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 23 of 52
latest reply

@timemachine777

With all the problems you have on Ebay I was wondering if they still have the seller assistant program. I believe it was other sellers who would help those in need. I can possibly help you get your sell-through rate up and get those charts you keep posting month after month up higher in the count view. I would need to charge a small commission fee to do it though.

Message 24 of 52
latest reply

I don't have stats on sales - but can tell you I was one of the ones caught in the Beanie Baby craze as a collector and tho there were a lot listed - many more sold than has been reported. In fact many of us branched off and started to collect the Ty Attic Treasures as we couldn't afford the prices the Beanie Babies were going for on Ebay.

Message 25 of 52
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

I would think someone with your brilliance ...

The mod said we had to be courteous and respectful.  I'm going to tell on you unless you give me your lunch money.

I have to confess, although I do not agree with much retrose says, I do think she is brilliant in the way she handles some issues that she speaks about.  I would never go down the paths I am speaking about, but her solutions to the issues are brilliant like a single handed holder of six beers!

Good Luck Selling!

Message 26 of 52
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

I don't have stats on sales - but can tell you I was one of the ones caught in the Beanie Baby craze as a collector and tho there were a lot listed - many more sold than has been reported. In fact many of us branched off and started to collect the Ty Attic Treasures as we couldn't afford the prices the Beanie Babies were going for on Ebay.

Just curious.  What was the average price a buyer had to pay for an average beanie baby when they first hit the market?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 27 of 52
latest reply

@chichille77

@chichille77 wrote:

Hello everyone,

This thread is getting a bit heated.  Please remember that it’s fine to disagree with others, but

discussion should always remain courteous and respectful.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Thank you for that reminder.

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 28 of 52
latest reply

@siayan

@siayan wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

-Cast Iron pots - skillets

-Vintage model kits planes and cars

-Silverplate flatware - Sterling if you can get it cheap OR, like I've found a few times, several pieces of Sterling mixed in with Silvperlate once they get cleaned up is a real bonus

-Cereal premiums (toys)

-Vintage games if complete (these are pay the light bill type sales but move consistently over time)

Good ones. Cast Iron has gone crazy the last few months. I did well with models I purchased, esp. the high end ones. The idea is to know different things so there is more of a chance of  not having competition when buying. I usually do well at auctions but the last Estate sales did me right. If they have all good stuff the 50% day is best for me. This is a change from the past where I only went to estate sales to waste time. 

Screenshot (749).pngThen you will get a kick out of this one ... I am watching a local online estate Auction and they have some Sterling Silver lots ... so yours truly was hoping to maybe "scoop" some deals and resell for some nice profit ... errrnt ...  I put up some bids (the Max bid column) ... needless to say, some serious Buyers are competing ... and actually, right now it is the same bidder winning all three Sterling lots!!!!

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 29 of 52
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@tunicaslot wrote:

Just curious.  What was the average price a buyer had to pay for an average beanie baby when they first hit the market?

Good Luck Selling!

As one of those nuts who to please their children would sit outside a store waiting for them to open because they were getting in a new shipment of beanie babies, I can tell you that they would sell for $5.95 each.  I remember that day because they got in the Princess Diana and Erin beanie babies.

Message 30 of 52
latest reply