cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO RECOURSE FOR BAD BUYERS WHO RETURN ITEMS DAMAGED?

I am just flabbergasted,   I just found out the only way I can issue a partial refund for an item returned damaged is if I’m a top seller (which I not - only selling my elderly mother’s Barbie collection) or if I offer free returns which means I have to pay for the return postage for buyers returning an item for any reason.  I can’t afford that — pay buyer’s return postage — I’m  selling things for my Mom so she has help with living expenses.  How is this fair at all? So I basically have no way to protect myself against dishonest buyers who return damaged merchandise?   And I gather it makes no difference if I don’t allow returns or if I allow returns because if I have a no return policy, the money back guarantee  means that they get to get it anyway and if I have a return policy and they return a send back an item they damaged, I can’t issue a partial refund. returned it doesn’t protect me if they send something back they damaged, because I still can’t give them a reduced refund and if I don’t let them return it, Ebay will refund them anyway plus any postage.  How is this fair at all? So I basically have no way to protect myself against dishonest buyers? There’s also no incentive to allow returns, because they can still send back damaged items and I’m on the hook. And I’ve been told if I have no returns allowed then buyers just use the money back guarantee and I end up having to refund the money and pay for the shipping anyway.  I just don’t understand how this you’re supposed to be sustainable for a small seller. 

slbrarevintage4u 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Yep. The question to ask is whether the costs outweigh the benefits.

With the type of item you're selling it seems online shipped sales would be better than local pickup because of the broader customer base, but if you're not comfortable with the risk associated with selling here ... well that's something you'll have to decide.

With the exception of one transaction it looks like you're doing pretty well.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Sorry this happened to you. 
Even if the buyer returns a rock you have to refund 100%.

All you can do is report the buyer for misuse of MBG and refund.

That’s the policy here and fair or not, like many things in life, it won’t change.

Best to build in to your cost extra to cover when this happens. Not fair for other buyers to pay extra because of scammers. But it’s what we all do when we go to the store, pay extra because of theft… 

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@slbrarevintage4u wrote:

So I basically have no way to protect myself against dishonest buyers?

Nope.

They can file an INAD and ship back an empty box and you would still have to refund.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I have been selling on here for over 16 years. I can safely say that I have had only 1, yes 1, buyer send me back a switched out item. This with approx 1 million in sales on here. I have learned to trust that most people are honest and will send the item back properly. Not that this is quarenteed but for the most part. No problems with returns and we have free return and we accept returns for any reason. It’s best to not give buyers a hard time with this. If you really run into a bad buyer you do the best you can to get that case looked at by ebay and they do help, when they can.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

No there is no seller protection. Seller protection is a scam. You can be top rated and offer free returns to get privileges of partial refund and after that 99.99% of buyers go for Money Back. In that case Ebay keeps the fees. Seller Protection is a scam and doesn’t make sense. People lie because they are broke, because they need parts to fix their own items, to test their own items . Ebay is not going to get any hit.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

It does seem unfair, but it's the rules. I keep my TRS for just such an occasion, but have only used the benefit once.

I think your sales look pretty good, too, and don't know why you can't shoot for TRS. I can't imagine that most of your sales don't go off without a hitch, actually.

If TRS isn't attainable, then Free Returns is an option... at least you have two means. Now, which is most appealing?

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I had lots of buyers doing swaps, destroying my merchandise because they were attempting to fix their own, they bought my item to test their car (item returned was scratched up and looking like garbage). I guess it depends on what you sell. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@partfinds wrote:

I had lots of buyers doing swaps, destroying my merchandise because they were attempting to fix their own, they bought my item to test their car (item returned was scratched up and looking like garbage). I guess it depends on what you sell. 

Yes - I think some markets are more prone to abuse than others, unfortunately.  But I agree with @vintagecraze50  that despite the risks, overall the positive far outweighs the negative.  Having said that, I don't care much for the so-called 'seller protections', either. There is supposedly some action to try to address that and the charge-back issue.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I had a guy claim my working item didn't work, then he admitted he'd taken it apart and switched things around to try to make it fit his car. 

I just told him while I couldn't stop his return because of eBay rules, I would report him for mail fraud and theft to the appropriate authorities.  He didn't return the part. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply