cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW FEES ON TAXES

Is it legal for eBay to charge fees on taxes?  Also, how are sellers able to predict their revenues on sales when eBay charges a fee (that is hidden) on sales tax since sellers can't predict who from which state will be purchasing their item? Maybe the answer is to automatically charge a handling charge to cover this. Any business attorneys want to jump in on this strange/smokey policy? 

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

NEW FEES ON TAXES

eBay offers sellers a platform on which to sell their items, eBay sets out fees for their services>the rest is up to the seller. If you think the fees on eBay are too much to bear maybe you'd like Amazon better!

...and I may not like the fees on eBay but it still gives me some profit ...and better than waiting for a sale on other sites that have so little traffic...

anyway u gotta do what u gotta do so bye bye and best of luck to you elsewhere.

Message 61 of 67
latest reply

NEW FEES ON TAXES

and??? If you can't handle 15-16% then no, eBay is not for you.

Message 62 of 67
latest reply

NEW FEES ON TAXES

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes this is accurate.. Beyond all the fluff and hype.. Ebay needs to just come out and say

"WE WILL CHARGE YOUR BUYER TAXES AND YOU WILL BE CHARGED A  FEE FOR THOSE TAXES not your buyer AND WE WILL CHARGE YOU A FEE FOR SHIPPING COSTS. WE WILL ALSO CHARGE YOU A FLAT RATE 30 or 40 cents WHEN THE ITEM IS SOLD."

But you cant find that unless you read for a few hours and learn some legalese.

Or you can find out by listing an item, waiting to sell it and then realizing they just pulled a fast eddie on you..

I know you won't like this, but it IS a seller's responsibility to KNOW the rules of the site.  And Ebay has been VERY straight forward with buyers and sellers that they are required BY LAW to collect and remit sales tax.

FYI this stuff is not in the Legal notes as you suggest above, it is in the Policies for the site.

You may not be able to find them, but that doesn't mean they are hard to find as many others have.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 63 of 67
latest reply

NEW FEES ON TAXES

@Anonymous 

The fees in MP have NOT increased overall fees. The following numbers represent those that do not have a store and the fee rate for most common categories [not all].

Fees BEFORE going into MP
10.20% FVF + 2.9% PP fees = 13.10% plus 30 cent per transaction fee.

In MP the fees are:
10.20% FVF + 2.35% money processing fee paid to MP = 12.55% plus a 30 cent per transaction fee.

Starting August 2nd, PayPal is raising their fees, so they will be as follows:
10.20 Ebay FVF + 3.49 PP Fee = 13.69% plus .49 cent Per Transaction fee

PP is apparently offering different fees to different sellers, likely depending on size. From what I've seen it is between 2.59% and 3.49%.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822#section8

Message 64 of 67
latest reply

NEW FEES ON TAXES

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you a paid troll?

I did the math .

I know what it cost me to sell on here now that I sold two items and I can promise you it's way to high. 

Add to that I have NO clue how to actually get my money .

PayPal would have this big button that said something like

" transfer money" and then I'd beable to either request a check or transfer my money to a bank account 

With this eBay thing. There is no button to press. I have no idea how to get the money other than to just wait when eBay decides to send it to the bank account I gave them . This whole thing is really very uncomfortable.

Aside from the fact that you seem to be pandering and trolling, this whole experience is rather un settling. 

Again, I can add and do all sort of math. I don't need you appeasing me on behalf of eBay , trying to fluff the facts. 

If you want to pay high fees and taxes and more fees and charges.  Great. That's you.  Don't send me links and tell me things that would picture me as some sort of idiot by using words that suggest I don't like to read. Etc etc. 

Here's the truth.  eBay should provide all this info you posted right up front and very clear .  The very fact that they don't, people like me have to come here and have you or others post links says that eBay is hiding important information.  Sure it's there, somewhere! Just now sure where the info is.  Kinda like a Indiana Jones movie where he goes looking for some artifact deep Ina cave. He knows it's somewhere but not sure where and noone seems to be able to tell him where. And really I'm not Indiana Jones and I don't feel like going ona hunt for information that should be on a very easy to find page. 

This whole website is setup to make it purposely difficult to do the find things like talk to a real person. Can't be done unless you type the word AGENT in the little chat box . If people dont know this they will never get to speak to a real person and the only way I found out was by pure luck from some website somewhere on some weird site about the weird policies and procedures that other people seem to have experienced.

Bye

Message 65 of 67
latest reply

NEW FEES ON TAXES

@Anonymous 

LOL

Why is that?  Because I was able to answer your concerns?  If you didn't want to get answers, why did you come here?  Or did you just want to vent and no one was suppose to inform you on how and where to find the information you wanted.

So because I could give you the information and then some, I'm a "paid troll"?  🤔

Look I tried to help you, it is up to you if you want to learn.  It doesn't matter one way or the other to me.  You can learn to be a successful seller or you can ignore learning the rules because you don't want to and eventually you will cause yourself some unnecessary account issues.

"I know what it cost me to sell on here now that I sold two items and I can promise you it's way to high."  OK congratulations and welcome to Ebay.  What other sites have you sold on?

"Add to that I have NO clue how to actually get my money ."  I gave you information on that, but it will require you to read it.  Your choice.

You have NO ability to request a Check from MP.

"With this eBay thing. There is no button to press."  Again I provided you the links so you can learn how MP works and what you need to do.  Your choice to read it or not.

"Aside from the fact that you seem to be pandering and trolling, this whole experience is rather in settling [unsettling]. "  I don't know why, you asked questions, I answered, now because I answered you want to call me names.  This is a community forum with community rules.

"If you want to pay high fees and taxes and more fees and charges.  Great. That's you."  I never said one little peep about this in any of my posts to you on any thread.  

"Don't send me links and tell me things that would picture me as some sort of idiot by using words that suggest I don't like to read. Etc etc. "  I don't call people names that isn't anything I've ever done in any post I have ever made, that appears to be something you are comfortable with, but I never said that.

The reason I said you seen to not want to read anything is because that is what things appear to be.  You keep saying Ebay is hiding stuff from you and they are not.  You simply don't put in much of an effort to find it, which is clear by some of the things you've said.  No one can help you with that but you.  If you would stop and read, digest and learn each link I sent you.  Almost every single question you have asked on the multple threads you have been on would be answered and you'd have the back up to look back on when or if needed.  But again you are making assumptions about those links which clearly shows you have not read them.

"eBay should provide all this info you post right up front and very clear ."  OK, so did you take the New Seller Tutorial?  Either way, you now have lots of info to learn from if you choose.  There is more to learn, but learning the basics is very important for you longevity here.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/get-started/selling-basics.html

I personally don't like the search in the Policy screens here on Ebay.  I find that searching in Google is much faster and easier.

Message 66 of 67
latest reply

NEW FEES ON TAXES

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 67 of 67
latest reply