cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My listing is requiring MPN, but there's no place to put it, no box for it

I was making a listing and when I tried to "List Item" at the end, little red warning thing popped up saying the item specific MPN is missing. BUT THERE WAS NO BOX FOR MPN like I've seen before. There was a place to put UPC, which I had. I looked over it 20 times and thought maybe I was going nuts, but there was no place to put MPN. They weren't asking for it anywhere, just warning me there wasn't one when I tried to list. It wouldn't let me list the item, just popped up the little red warning. 

SO... After the coffee kicked in, I went in and added "MPN" in the area where you can "Add your own item specific". Put "MPN" in the top box and just made up a number for the second box. Bada bing, bada boom--that worked, got item listed. So, happy ending?

I started by creating a new listing, it wasn't a relist or a revise or anything. That just seems ridiculous to require an MPN but then have no place for one. I wasted a good 15 minutes pressing random buttons on my computer like a monkey trying to figure out what was going on. 

Anyone else had this problem? 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Glad you found a temporary solution.  What happened is that the specific category you choose to list in apparently requires that attribute and that is why it directed you to supply the needed info.  Because you did not have that option and had to create it manually tells me your item might be the only one listed since the requirement for that category.  I am not certain about that but it does make some sense.

The problem is that now you have recorded wrong info for the MPN and any other listing that use the sell similar feature will also have the wrong info input into there new listing unless they are clever enough to change it.

Now what will happen is when an external search engine crawls your listing with bad attributes it will get truncated from the search engine results because it does not match what they have for this item so it will seem as if it is not the same item as they want to show the user.

Also when another item with the same attributes gets listed with the correct info your listing on the eBay search engine will also get indicated because it has wrong info that the eBay search engine is now identifying as wrong.

If you have the UPC number you should probably be able to get the MPN easier yet, especially if the condition is new, which is the only reason the eBay listing made you supply the MPN in the first place.  Used items do not need the attributes but they will help in search if you supply them.

Try to supply the correct info to avoid lots of issues that pile up based on how the entire system works.  Keep in mind most of this is related to listing items as new condition which these attributes are required in many categories and eventually probably all categories.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

Glad you found a temporary solution.  What happened is that the specific category you choose to list in apparently requires that attribute and that is why it directed you to supply the needed info.  Because you did not have that option and had to create it manually tells me your item might be the only one listed since the requirement for that category.  I am not certain about that but it does make some sense.

The problem is that now you have recorded wrong info for the MPN and any other listing that use the sell similar feature will also have the wrong info input into there new listing unless they are clever enough to change it.

Now what will happen is when an external search engine crawls your listing with bad attributes it will get truncated from the search engine results because it does not match what they have for this item so it will seem as if it is not the same item as they want to show the user.

Also when another item with the same attributes gets listed with the correct info your listing on the eBay search engine will also get indicated because it has wrong info that the eBay search engine is now identifying as wrong.

If you have the UPC number you should probably be able to get the MPN easier yet, especially if the condition is new, which is the only reason the eBay listing made you supply the MPN in the first place.  Used items do not need the attributes but they will help in search if you supply them.

Try to supply the correct info to avoid lots of issues that pile up based on how the entire system works.  Keep in mind most of this is related to listing items as new condition which these attributes are required in many categories and eventually probably all categories.

Good Luck Selling!

Actually, I have the same problem with Wonderlister. Everything fails until I add an IS of MPN, and enter Does Not Apply. 

I never list anything that is new - well, I guess things MAY have been new in the 1920's or earlier ..... 

Ebay just can never seem to get it right. And they are too cheap to buy their own catalog. The route they are going will not end up well.

@goodluckselling wrote:

Good Luck Selling!

It looks like you missed the whole point of the OP, which was that the listing tool ASKED for an MPN which the OP HAS, but the tool provided no box to input it.

Not sure where all the guff about "incorrect MPN" came from in your post.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

The OP said she made up a MPN, but it does not surprise me that you would not know.

Gopod Luck Selling!

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Wow, okay I made a mistake and the OP said they made up a number, but that really does NOT excuse your response.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

In regards to goodluckselling, my item isn't (by far) the only one listed, so I don't know what's going on. But I see it as more of an EP, not an MP. (An Ebay problem, not a my problem Smiley Tongue )

I hated to just put jibberish, but I need to get items listed. Just now I went in and instead of a self-created number, I put "Does Not Apply". (Thanks to d-k_treasures for that idea.)

Now, maybe that's still jibberish, since I had to self-create the required MPN field in the first place--not sure, but it got the job done. They got their UPC, and isn't a UPC more than enough jibberish? stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I recently tried listing something and HAD the UPC and entered it.  ebay said it was wrong and asked for something called value - wouldn't list it. 

I wasted half an hour of my life trying to get the thing listed and realized that since it was only going to be worth about 5 bucks, it wasn't worth it. 

And now that the item specifics are constantly changing the past couple of days, I am very sure that it is only going to get worse.

(*Bleep*)
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

OP, fwiw - sometimes in my experience when an attribute that should be shown on the listing form is missing (or not functioning), just save the listing as a draft and allow some time to pass, then reopen the draft to complete. I've found the once missing attribute is almost always there in working order ready for you to input the information. 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

"d-k_treasures wrote:

Actually, I have the same problem with Wonderlister. Everything fails until I add an IS of MPN, and enter Does Not Apply. 

I never list anything that is new - well, I guess things MAY have been new in the 1920's or earlier ..... 

Ebay just can never seem to get it right. And they are too cheap to buy their own catalog. The route they are going will not end up well."

Frankly, I think ebay wants to have THE 'go-to' catalogue.  It sort of precludes buying one, if they want to become the 'source'.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Don't just make up a number unless you are selling OOAK items that pre-date UPC's and are never likely to show up in eBay's catalog. Since you possess the item and know the UPC, find the MPN on the product's packaging. In some cases, it may be referred to as a "style" or "type" or "model." If you don't have the original display box or card, google the brand name, UPC and generic product name. You'll probably find the manufacturer's website or a distributor or retail store that sells the product. Most will show the display packaging and/or some identifier that serves as an MPN. If there really is none, then Does Not Apply is correct. Personally, I rarely sell anything made after about 1965 so I may use my inventory number as an MPN. Nobody else uses that code, and there's no UPC to match -- hence no conflict with eBay's catalog. ~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

After the coffee kicked in, I went in and added "MPN" in the area where you can "Add your own item specific". Put "MPN" in the top box and just made up a number for the second box. Bada bing, bada boom--that worked, got item listed. So, happy ending?

Are you also able to add Not Applicable to that choose your own MPN box?

How silly.

Is there a similar category that does not require MPNs?

I notice that sewing patterns 1930--> Now does want one, but will accept Not Applicable, while sewing patterns-->vintage doesn't (since they weren't available before around 1980).

and HAD the UPC and entered it.  ebay said it was wrong

I've seen that with non-US ISBNs on books.

The eBay catalog doesn't believe other countries also print books and have International Specific Book Numbers.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

@"d-k_treasures wrote:

Ebay just can never seem to get it right. And they are too cheap to buy their own catalog. The route they are going will not end up well."

Frankly, I think ebay wants to have THE 'go-to' catalogue.  It sort of precludes buying one, if they want to become the 'source'.

The only 'go-to' catalog that they will end up with is one to not go to.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yesssssssssss
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

We had the same problem when we tried listing using our iPhone, however when we used our iPad the mpn box was available. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply