cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My exclusive branded item showing up as a Sponsored Listing?

Can someone please explain what a Sponsored Listing is? My exclusive branded item is showing up in search by a seller who has no stock of my item or any relationship with me. It is priced higher than my own listing. Why would a seller do this? 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

They may be planning to use you to fulfill their order.  They sell it, then buy from you and ask you to send it to a third party address ...  their buyer's.

I personally consider it highly unethical.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

To make a profit. When someone purchases from the other seller the other seller will turn around purchase your item using their buyer's shipping address.

Sponsored Listing means the seller will pay eBay an additional commission when they make a sale for the extra promotion in search. Search for "promoted listings" to learn more.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@scstool wrote:

Can someone please explain what a Sponsored Listing is? My exclusive branded item is showing up in search by a seller who has no stock of my item or any relationship with me. It is priced higher than my own listing. Why would a seller do this? 

Is this something that you exclusively created?

If so become a vero member?  Then you can ask ebay to shut him down.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

It is a product I bought in very large quantities, repackage and relabel with my SCS-Tool brand. Original manufacturer no longer in business.

I have used VERO before, but they have a large backlog and it is a slow process. The listings were taken down and then they just pop up again.

Maybe the "unauthorized" seller is doing me a favor by giving me exposure and buyers will end up buying my listing for less money. But these sellers tend to have bad feedback and can "dilute" the value of a brand with slow shipping.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Or it could be someone who purchased from someone else who bought from you and is exercising their right to resell the item.  And if that is the case, then they are not an unauthorized seller after all.  You have no idea how they may have acquired it.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 6 of 6
latest reply