cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Vision for Ebay Heaven for small Vintage /Antique and even small entrepreneurial sellers

Image you hit the home page of Ebay and its working, you see this inviting door that offers you the Ebay Original or Classic experience. You click on it and low and behold opens this new world unseen by many of todays buyers, but a fond memory for some that are still here. Many would like to share this experience, but's not here anymore. ;(

There's a search box at the top. You enter you search term a like old pottery mixing bowl and there they are 800 of them, so we add blue and narrow it down. No bike, clothes, dolls, cd came up, so it went pretty fast finding our mixing bowl. 😉 You message the seller and they assure you they can have to you at your location in a week to 10 days, properly packed. You let them know you are looking for the pitcher too. They add it to their list for you and will let you know if they come across one or they see one on here through another seller. I know this seller will work with me if there is something wrong with my bowl when it arrives because we have a relationship and they are my go to for items I want to find and I trust them. I recommend my friends because my experiences have been good. 

That was easy. Now lets pop over to discussions where collectors are comparing collections and discussing whats up for auction. Sellers are discussing finds and not technical glitches , fraud and false INAD returns. 

Somewhere someone starts a conversation of whats the rarest varation of glaze on a particular pottery. A place to educate others about history, what a great home with a community feel. A new buyer just popped in, they are welcomed. A new seller lists and they have mistakenly placed a reproduction up as new , so we educate and encourage research before posting. 

Time to order those couple of items I need for the house that I know a small seller I have dealt with before offers from her home. I know its a little more, butI like knowing she is going to put a little note in thanking me for my business and wishing me well for the holidays. I like to help her in her business too. She refers her friends to our site when they are trying to locate something. 

There is a market for virtually anything, if the person in need can find it. Used to be Ebay was the one place you could count on. 

Dam, I don't mind those fees now, Well maybe the ones for shipping,,,, really hate the FVF shipping fees.

Ok, I know. I just woke up 😞  

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

My Vision for Ebay Heaven for small Vintage /Antique and even small entrepreneurial sellers

A new seller lists and they have mistakenly placed a reproduction up as OLD , so we educate and encourage research before posting. 

Message 2 of 49
latest reply

In other words...you want the ability to find what YOU want, not what ebay wants you to want.
I can dig it...
Message 3 of 49
latest reply

@tomuchstuff5 wrote:

A new seller lists and they have mistakenly placed a reproduction up as OLD , so we educate and encourage research before posting. 

And no 'Antique style' listings allowed.

@nawlinsron2 wrote:
In other words...you want the ability to find what YOU want, not what ebay wants you to want.
I can dig it...

I want buyers of my type items to find what they want in an easier manor. I want to sell to people I have at least a messaging relationship with so i am not afraid to list a higher dollar item and they are afraid to buy one. 

I don't want an item to come as NONE just because the buyer didn't find it because it is not listed with free shipping , free returns and GD. It doesn't even default to show its available (outside of their filter like it used to for international). , just not with free shipping or without GD or w/o Free returns if they are using the filters. It just looks like there is NONE. 

A Norman Rockwell moment for me. Sorry, boredom since I cannot list.

Message 5 of 49
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@tomuchstuff5 wrote:

And no 'Antique style' listings allowed.

YEAH 🙂 Sterling charm.......that will give your eyes a couple of hours.

Message 6 of 49
latest reply

@nawlinsron2 wrote:
I can dig it...

In reality, I want everyone to find what they are looking for. I want them to find it with some ease, have it be at a reasonable price and receive it safely. No matter what it is. I don't want anyone, buyer or seller to find themselves on the phone with CS for hours trying to get there purchase or sale straightened out. 

I don't want Ebay to have a bad name with buyers or sellers cause it affects all of our businesses.

Another NR moment 🙂

Message 7 of 49
latest reply

Yes, then you woke up only to find out the nightmare, unfortunately, is real.  😉

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 8 of 49
latest reply

@llllady wrote:

Yes, then you woke up only to find out the nightmare, unfortunately, is real.  😉

I do not see or hear anything but you must shove the square peg into the round hole at ypur expense. So what if it loses it's original purpose 😞

Not out of their pockets do the lack of sales come.

Plan B

Message 9 of 49
latest reply

I have been advocating a seperate ebay for vintage/antiques/used/ooak for years now.

I would like to see a ebay for new items where only factory new items are available there, and they are the only items that have to use catalog.  That would take care of the Chinese, pretty much since they know that their main selling point besides cheap is new.  They can say vintage look all they want, t will still be on the ebay new side.

(*Bleep*)
Message 10 of 49
latest reply

@llllady wrote:

Feel like a sinkhole opened up under my feet. Wish I had not bothered to struggle thru the summer. Not feeling any love at all from Ebay for small sellers, hurricanes or anything else. All I hear is pay the fees. No sales for a 3rd day.

Message 11 of 49
latest reply

What kills me is buyers buy it from overseas (  why, why, why do they do this to themselves), they can ship it here for next to nothing and when it turns out to be INAD  it costs more to return it than the refund. Buyers do not understand if IT doesn't go well, returns policies make them pay shipping. Don't think they read that part. Most don't understand it is going to cost that much to return if deal goes bad because it's did not cost that much to get it here.  All they see if MBG . It will run Ebay into the ground,,,,,,,,so sad. Truly gives all sellers a bad name here. Just saw another one that got ripped on the return board. When you have that many hassles with a purchase,,,,,,,I wouldn't come back. All I hear from people in my town is they got ripped either selling or buying. Can't convince anyone to shop here. After the other day I don't want to even bring it up in conversation. 

Am I misunderstanding something about how all this works?  Seems wrong to me. 

Message 12 of 49
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

I have been advocating a seperate ebay for vintage/antiques/used/ooak for years now.

I would like to see a ebay for new items where only factory new items are available there, and they are the only items that have to use catalog.  That would take care of the Chinese, pretty much since they know that their main selling point besides cheap is new.  They can say vintage look all they want, t will still be on the ebay new side.

They already did this... eBay Express. Unfortunately, they did it exactly backwards of how they should have and took the exact wrong lesson away from it.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 13 of 49
latest reply

Although this is a beautiful thought, somehow the vision reminds me of that last scene in Titanic where Rose joins the rest of the passengers and crew on the Titanic, all of them young and happy and looking great again.....but, you know, the Titanic was still at the bottom of the ocean and everyone was still kinda sorta dead.  When something sinks, it's hard to bring it back to the surface.

Message 14 of 49
latest reply

@tomuchstuff5 wrote:

There's a search box at the top. You enter you search term a like old pottery mixing bowl and there they are 800 of them, so we add blue and narrow it down. No bike, clothes, dolls, cd came up, so it went pretty fast finding our mixing bowl. 

I just did a search for pottery mixing bowl under Best Match.

I checked the first 400 listings and they were all pottery mixing bowls. 

There were no bikes, no clothes, and no CDs. 

Message 15 of 49
latest reply