cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My First Local Pick Up Insisted on Paying with PayPal Ahead of Time

I suggested cash at pick up, but she just paid in advance.  Is PayPal going to trust me when I tell them it was a customer pick up?  Any advice other than to meet in a public place?  Thankfully it is a low dollar item.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE: I wanted to update everyone that some of the information posted in this thread has changed since my original response. Please review our Knowledge Base article and the associated resources for up to date info related to Local Pickup: 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Commonly-Asked-Questions/Buying-amp-Selling-with-Local-Pickup/ta-p/301...

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/local-pickup

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/shipping-delivery/changing-delivery-address-method/local-pickup

View Best Answer in original post

Message 22 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

I read somewhere that you're supposed to ask the buyer to send an eBay message confirming they picked it up.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

This post will be helpful for the eBay side of things. It doesn't address PayPal or CCs though.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Selling/How-to-prove-buyer-received-item-via-local-pickup/td-p...

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/local-pickup?id=4181&st=3&...

In your payment options, select Pay on pickup and any other payment methods you'd like to accept. You'll need to offer buyers at least one of the approved electronic payment methods, such as PayPal, and you cannot discourage buyers from using any payment method you specified in the listing. For local pickup items, we don't recommend accepting payment methods that take time to clear, such as checks.

Tip
Getting proof of collection like a signed receipt/invoice or an eBay message from the buyer can protect you against item not received cases

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

You don't need to do anything other than mark the item as shipped after it's been picked up.

If the buyer was paying cash at pick-up you would need to mark it as paid and then as shipped.

You don't need to prove anything to anyone!

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

I wouldn't worry about it particularly on a cheap item. The buyer probably just feels paypal is convienient. I've had people use paypal on local pickup and it went fine.

I would not go out of my way to meet at a public place. The buyer has your contact info and knows where you live. If they were so inclined they could burgle your house while you are waiting around at the public place.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Her last feedback message from a seller was, "I'm glad everything went as planned."  What kind of seller leaves that feedback?  Now I'm getting even more nervous.  I have contacted that that seller to ask about the transaction.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

@tamaralea wrote:

Her last feedback message from a seller was, "I'm glad everything went as planned."  What kind of seller leaves that feedback?  Now I'm getting even more nervous.  I have contacted that that seller to ask about the transaction.

Let sleeping dogs lie.

The buyer is not protected on a PICK UP item - the point of pick-up is that buyers can examine and test the item before paying and taking it away.

You are not at risk.

Be cool - you're fine.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 8 of 24
latest reply

I believe it was Trinton that informed us that buyers still have buyer protection abd can claim snad on pickup only items. @Anonymous
tyler@ebay
Can you clarify please?
Can a buyer file snad on a pickup only item?
Can a buyer claim INR on a pickup item?
Can sellers require cash?
I know the answers but others do not. Thank you!

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 9 of 24
latest reply

@mg152  @softersilk  No need to ask Trinton to explain again...if the OP reads the link provided by bigger.fish.to.fry, they and softersilk will know everything they need to know about local pickup only listings and sales.  

Thousands of local pickup listings are completed without problems on eBay all the time...if that weren't the case the boards would be filled with unhappy buyers/sellers that are using the local pickup only option.  Why would a "scammer" want to actually show their face and car/license plate to a potential victim and why oh why would a scammer go to the trouble to scam someone out of a $6.99 widget.

For the benefit of those that prefer not to click on links:  Local Pickup Only 101

@jrbyron4580 wrote:

I did a meetup today with a buyer and realized that he could just say he never received the item and get his money back from paypal. However I did have him sign a receipt from eBay, but nevertheless how would I prove that we actually met and I gave him the item. Also even if he never claims he never received the item, how can I get access to the funds in my PayPal account? 

Hey everyone, I can see this topic has raised some confusion and I'm happy to clarify any points needed. I generally try to keep my answers concise as longer responses are a) difficult to follow after a certain length and b) can create a series of hypothetical questions that do not apply to the general Community. However, I want to be as transparent and details as possible on this so these are the questions I have seen on this board with accompanying answers:

1. What payment methods are available for local pickup?
While payment upon pickup is an option (cash), an electronic method must also be available to the buyer and this is a perfectly acceptable option for them.

Context for the above answer: Payment through eBay checkout with an eligible method of payment (such as PayPal or a merchant credit card) is required for eBay Money Back Guarantee coverage. While cases for local pickup transactions are rare, it is a best practice for a buyer to pay through eBay checkout so they are eligible should they need to pursue a claim.

2. Is a buyer covered through an item not received claim related to a local pickup transaction?
Yes, in situations where it is clear the seller did not allow the buyer to retrieve the item. These would be based on a clear statement in eBay messages indicating the seller was at fault for this item not being retrieved. Some examples would be messages repeatedly asking to reschedule pickup, messages indicating the seller did not meet the buyer at the agreed upon time and location or messages indicating the seller has no intentions of being available to pickup.

The buyer would not be covered in an item not received case if there was not an indication of seller fault related to the item not received case. While a seller is protected if an item is not retrieved due to buyer fault, if your buyer made a mistake in purchasing a local pickup item or is otherwise unable to retrieve the item from you, a refund would be the right thing to do. I've never seen a situation where a seller was unwilling to take care of their customer when a mistake was made, but I include this statement for the sake of thoroughness.

3. Is a buyer covered through a Return Request or item not as described claim related to a local pickup transaction?

Yes. The coverage is more limited, but is available in certain situations. Examples of covered scenarios include:

• The item cannot be tested upon pickup and instead has to be tested at the buyer's location. A refrigeration unit would be a common example.
  • The seller has a return policy and the buyer would like to return the item. For returns related to remorse, the buyer would need to arrange the return themselves.
  • The buyer arrives to inspect the item, but it does not match the listing description the seller provided. This may also receive coverage under an item not received case - either would be applicable.
  • The seller otherwise invites the return

Examples of situations not covered within a return or not as described claim related to a local pickup transaction:

• Loss or damage in transit - the buyer is liable for what happens to the item in transit in a local pickup transaction unless the seller agreed to ship the item to them. If the seller ships the item to the buyer, the transaction would no longer be considered "local pickup".
  • An item found to be defective that could have been tested upon pickup. A lamp would be a common example.

4. If the listing does not list local pickup as an option, but the buyer and seller arrange for local pickup, would the transaction be treated as local pickup.

Yes, as long as this arrangement is made clear in the messages within the eBay system. Note: arranging for local pickup when the listing did not include this option for the buyer can negatively impact your tracking uploaded on time metric, so it may be a best practice to cancel and relist with local pickup presented as an option. We can, however, review any specific transactions where a seller makes accommodations for a buyer if this creates a negative impact on their account and ensure they do not loose Top Rated Status - cancelling for resale would just be an option.

5. Is tracking required for protection in an item not received claim related to local pickup?

No, tracking would not be needed. If the listing has local pickup as a "shipping method" and the buyer selects this, there would be no tracking expected. Likewise, if it is clear in the messages that the buyer and seller arrange local pickup, no tracking would be needed for an item not received case.

6. How does eBay determine if an item was defective before being picked up or if it was made defective while in transit (ie. a bump in the road causes something to become loose, impairing function)?

If an item could be tested before being taken by the buyer, then the buyer would be responsible. If the item could not be tested before being taken by the buyer, then the seller would be responsible. 

Note on this answer: If your item is untestable at your location but also so fragile that it may easily become damaged in transit, it would not be recommended for local pickup. The vast majority of items that cannot be tested at a seller's location would not be this fragile.

7. How does customer service know how to handle local pickup situations? Additionally, and unrelated to local pickup, how does customer service know to handle an item shipped to an address provided via eBay messages?

We have internal references that outline guidelines for case decisions. While not every specific situation will be outlined for public review as this minimizes any abuse of our protection program, there are guidelines in place for employees to review and make a decision. While there are unique situations that do not fall neatly under one policy or another, we have a large amount of experience to draw from when it comes to determining the right decision in a case. If you feel a claim was decided incorrectly, we are here to look over it again and ensure the right decision is made.

8. Is the risk to a seller higher in local pickup transactions vs. standard transactions that involve a shipping method?

No, and in most cases the seller experiences a higher level of protection for local pickup as the buyer has the opportunity to inspect the item before taking it home. Exceptions would include the examples provided in this post.

If any members response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and one member's response resolved your question, please click 'Accept as Solution.' More on Accepted Solutions.

...and one more from Trinton regarding the acceptance of PayPal and/or cash:

@lovtaco0 wrote:

trinton@ebayIs it acceptable to put best offer on a local pickup listing and state in the listing that you are more amenable to offers if cash payment is used? That's not discouraging electronic payment, but it is offering savings to the buyer if they are comfortable with cash payment.

Hi @lovtaco0, it is acceptable to indicate your preference for cash payment, you just aren't allowed to discourage electronic payments. Comments such as, "I will cancel a PayPal payment for local pickup," is not acceptable, but "Cash is preferred for local pickup and may factor into my consideration of a Best Offer" would be fine, as it is along the same lines as "I offer combined shipments and Best Offers for multiple items are encouraged" slight smile

Class dismissed! Smiley Happy
How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 10 of 24
latest reply

I prefer that local pick ups use paypal - it leaves a paper trail.   I usually have them sign and date a pick up slip. 

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

"I usually have them sign and date a pick up slip. "

Why?

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Sign and date because then there is a record of the pick up.  I will do this.  Thanks, everyone.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

I'm an old retired accountant who likes paper trails.   Then I go home and leave them feedback noting the successful pickup. 

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

@uncseniorsportsfan wrote:

I prefer that local pick ups use paypal - it leaves a paper trail.   I usually have them sign and date a pick up slip. 

I just sold two local pick up items over the weekend . They both paid by Pay Pal and one buyer has already picked up his purchase .  When the next buyer arrives I'll have them sign a pick up  verification , its a good idea . Thanks  -Tulips 

Message 15 of 24
latest reply