cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Optimized Descriptions

A lot of people still have questions on this topic (http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/sprupd16/view-item.html) and a handful of you asked me to create a dedicated thread, so here goes...

For a while now eBay has been optimizing item descriptions for small mobile screens by showing small portions of the full descriptions based on keywords - the full description is still viewable but the link can be hard to find.

With the new changes (which I think are good) eBay is giving options for sellers to optimize their own descriptions for mobile listings and they are also making the link to view full description much more prominent.

Here's how it works:

eBay, based on keywords, will automatically select a limit of 250 characters (not words) from your description to show on mobile view. This is something they have been doing for a while now. In the example they provided via the Seller Update, that description was just 139 characters. They could have included the second sentence in the provided example and still only hit 230 characters, but the bots only picked up keywords in the first sentence so only 139 characters were displayed. So again, they will show UP TO 250 characters.

Mobile view is also being enhanced by including a prominent "Read more" link at the bottom so buyers can easily click through to view the full description. here is a screenshot as provided by an eBay Blue:

original.jpeg

If your full item description is less than 800 characters (I am reading that as 799 or less) and uses HTML, CSS, or text-only then eBay will, by default, show the entire description of up to 799 characters instead of pulling out text to fit within the 250 limit.

Some people have asked if eBay can pull 800 characters for mobile why are they defaulting to a limit of 250 if your description is more than 800? Faster load time would be my guess.

You don't need to do anything and eBay will optimize your descriptions as noted above by default. Again, for a while now eBay has already been pulling summaries of up to 250 for mobile, but now the link to view full description is going to be more clear and if your description is less than 800 characters they will show the full description by default. More info about how to optimize your listings without customizing text here: http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/sprupd16/view-item.html#tab=what-you-need-to-do

eBay is adding the option for you to choose your own text for optimized mobile views. If you DO want to customize then keep reading.

If your listing is 800 or more characters you have the option of using html tagging to choose which part of the description is optimized for mobile but the text needs to be consecutive - like you can't choose a sentence from the top of the description and another from the bottom. If you choose to do this, the html that can be used is shown on the FAQ page. http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/sprupd16/view-item.html#tab=faqs&faq=faq-vi-q09

General html tags (like tagging for a bold font) do not apply towards the character count. HTML tags that use up space (like a space between characters or a line break) do count in the 800 character count. A line break counts as 50 characters since that's about how many characters will display across a line on the mobile view. If you are using something like a Word document to count characters for you (no word yet on whether eBay will provide a character counter), please keep in mind how many characters a line break takes up.

If you tag more than 800 characters, eBay "will truncate the selection to below 800 characters. We will remove whole words to get below 800 characters, not partial words."

The official roll-out is this summer (I believe May 1st), but if you start html tagging now there will be "no visible impact on your listings". So if you want to start tagging now you can, it just won't go into effect yet. Do keep in mind that eBay has said they are going to provide some tools to help with this. They have not said what those tools will be yet. I made a suggestion that eBay implement these types of tools (and I hope they will take it under consideration): http://community.ebay.com/t5/2016-Spring-Seller-Update/Suggestion-for-Mobile-Optimized-Descriptions/...

I honestly do think this is a good change. It's enhancing the way mobile is currently handled and it's also giving sellers the option of customization if they so choose. Now, if only they would fix that "free shipping" glitch... 🙂

Message 1 of 126
latest reply
125 REPLIES 125

Re: Mobile Optimized Descriptions

It's not using the mobile customization code. I just looked to see where the bot was starting to extract text, and inserted a span there. A span tag is for adding text with attributes that would be different from the surrounding text...in this case that is style="display:none". That keeps the inserted text from being shown on the desktop, but the bot is still extracting starting at that point in the listing that I tried it on.

I have noticed that when the bot extracts from lists, it tends to jump around between list items, but with straight text in a span, it tends to pick up just the text, up to about 190 chars.
Message 91 of 126
latest reply

I'm familiar with html coding (used to build websites back in the day), but I just couldn't view the listings you created to see what you're referencing since I don't have a mobile devide on which to check them out. I trust that the code you're using is working on your test. It could be an option for those who don't want to wait for eBay's customized coding to become active.

Message 92 of 126
latest reply

I only got a mobile phone recently. My daughter gave me a hand me down Samsung. You don't need a service contract to use a mobile device online for free if you have wifi. So I just log into my wifi and go to ebay.com to check the listings. It's also helpful to know how the full listing looks on a mobile phone. (The mobile Item Description has a right arrow that takes you to the full listing.) Having the phone helped in making the full listings more mobile friendly.

Message 93 of 126
latest reply

To see the actual listing where I applied the technique (see step by step msg above) search for: nikon 28 2.8 e -- then look for the photo with the orange yellow background that is listed for $911. -- (There may be a near identical listing at the regular price, and I have not yet applied the change to that listing as of today.)  

On the $911 listing, you can check the mobile Item Description, then check the full description. The wording of the mobile Item description is not found in the full description, at least not as of today (7/16/16). I'll leave it up for a while in case anybody wants to see it.

I will be working on revising existing listings and applying it to new listings soon.

btw I noticed that the mobile listing does not have a "See other items" link. Or if it does I just don't see it.

Message 94 of 126
latest reply

Question for @blackbird*singing...

About a month ago, you posted in another thread:

"The new mobile view has been implemented, but the mobile customized descriptions have not yet rolled out. The vague timeframe we have is sometime "this summer".

To your knowledge, is that still true?

Looking at this eBay communication from Spring 2016 Seller Update, it sounded like they already rolled out that feature: http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/news/sprupd16/view-item.html#tab=faqs&faq=faq-vi-q09

BUT, I've been breaking my brain the last 2 days trying to get eBay to recognize my custom mobile description (in HTML), and it simply won't!  So, is it truly not yet rolled out?

Example:  I go into HTML view (and yes, I'm quite familiar with HTML) in the editor, and put this block in.  Whether I put it at the top or bottom of my HTML, it makes no difference.  eBay always ignores it.  The mobile phone still displays their lobotomized version of my full description!   Here's the HTML I'm putting in:

<div vocab="http://schema.org/" typeof="Product" style="display:none"><span property="description"> MOBILE USERS: YOU MUST CLICK ON "READ MORE" (below) in order to view the FULL description and CONDITION DETAILS, which will help you with your purchase decision. Thank you.</span></div>

Message 95 of 126
latest reply

@saddlemountain

- As of the Spring Seller Update announcement, eBay had already implemented (a few months prior, I believe) the 250 char limit mobile view. These are the 250 characters as determined by eBay.

- As of a short time ago (not long before that post of mine you quoted), eBay implemented additional changes to the mobile view such as the "read more" link instead of the obscure arrow. In other words they implemented more changes to the mobile view that were announced in the Spring Update, but did not implement mobile customization

- As of today, the ability for sellers to customize their mobile view is still not yet live. You can add in the code, but it won't have any effect on your listings just yet. It was supposed to go live sometime "this summer", however that has been pushed out and we do not have a new date for it yet. If you scroll up just a few posts to what ShipScript and I were discussing that may explain things a bit more.

I hope this helps to answer your questions and if you have any further comments please feel free to post!

Message 96 of 126
latest reply

OK, got it!  Thank you for your reply.

I shall keep gritting my teeth and enduring the SNADs from mobile users for now!  :O)

Message 97 of 126
latest reply

No problem, Saddle. You can bookmark this thread and check back periodically as it will surely be updated once there is more news on this feature.

Sorry about the SNADs. 😞

If you ever have difficulty with a sale do feel free to post on this forum with questions as the posters here have pretty much seen it all and can give some great advice. Welcome to the boards!

Message 98 of 126
latest reply

@usmc*usnmom posted recently ( http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Don-t-have-a-mobile-device-Want-to-see-what-your-listing-looks/... ) about a program called Blisk.

Blisk is typically used by web developers, but it is one way those without mobile would be able to preview how their listings would look on various mobile devices. Compatible with Windows and Mac (and they say Linux will be added soon).

I have not tried it out yet, just passing on the info for anyone interested.

@shipscript

Message 99 of 126
latest reply

Hello, I would like to know if it's ok to add css to these new tags.  For example,  can I take this tag...

<span property="description">

and add an ID or Class to it, or inline css, like this...

<span property="description" id=desc>

or...

<span property="description" style="color:red">

I realize the styles probably won't change for mobile viewers, right?  But they would for regular computer users.  Is there any problem with altering these tags like this.

Thank you

Lou

Message 100 of 126
latest reply

Hi @loulousmith1947 - apologies for the lack of response, but I have been under the weather and not up to posting. I am adding @shipscript to help advise regarding your above post.

Message 101 of 126
latest reply

@blackbird*singing hi pre!!! Was starting to get worried about you!!!!

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 102 of 126
latest reply

@loulousmith1947

I put that request to eBay a couple of months ago, along with several examples of modifications, with no response.  My assumption, like yours, is that css within the tag should not be a problem and that only the "property" is picked up.

However, it really depends on what method eBay uses to find those tags. If they are looking for a specific string, then we can't modify their string. If they are, instead, using some sort of HTML parser, then the style should be fine.

It's not a good answer, so I plan to test variations when eBay's feature goes live.

As for what the visitor sees, the red you have marked would show red on both the desktop description and on the mobile description, but would have no effect on the mobile "summary".

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 103 of 126
latest reply

@shipscript Brian (eBay Blue) said that the mobile optimization feature has gone live. I don't have a mobile device to test - can you (or someone else reading this) see if your custom description is now appearing in mobile? Thanks!

He also said they will not be providing any tools to assist sellers with tagging custom text for mobile descriptions, FYI.

Message 104 of 126
latest reply

@blackbird*singing

I just posted a new listing and checked on my iPad and the new summary text appeared as it should.  So I would agree it has gone live. Now we just need to test the limitations.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 105 of 126
latest reply