cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Men's Shirt Styles: Button-UP vs Button-FRONT?

The screen shot below is from the recently-revised category:

Clothing, Shoes & Accessories > Men's Clothing > Shirts > Casual Button-Down Shirts

The screen shot shows some of the default options in the Style drop-down box.

What is the difference between Button-Front and Button-Up?  (I know that a Button-Down is a shirt that has a button-down collar.)  Aren't Button-Front and Button-Up the same?  What is the difference between each of those style shirts?

And we now have both Golf/Polo and Polo, Rugby as separate style options in that same drop-down box, too.

How I wish options were mutually exclusive. Can't a shirt be a collared, button-front, Hawaiian, camp shirt?  Why do I have to choose only one of those four?  Ugh.

Thanks in advance for the help/thoughts/advice!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@mangorunner 

Morning...I feel your pain here. The clothing Item Specifics, whether for Men or Women, has been screwed up since they last did a revise late last year. And, yes, button down relates to a button down collar. They still don't have it right with this new update.

Only way you can describe your item more accurately is to also add your own custom Item Specifics. This is where I break out whether it is Hawaiian, etc. I add in Style 2 (Hawaiian), Style 3 (Camp Shirt), etc. You are allowed up to at least 20 Item Specifics which includes what eBay suggests. I have my own listing program, not using ebay tools, and it stops me when I go over 20. I may do overkill? But now ebay is promoting using as many Item Specifics as possible if you are not using their catalogue. Also claiming outside engines pick them up. I sell pre-owned and would never use the catalogue. Good Luck.

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@abfabvintage wrote:

@mangorunner 

Morning...I feel your pain here. The clothing Item Specifics, whether for Men or Women, has been screwed up since they last did a revise late last year. And, yes, button down relates to a button down collar. They still don't have it right with this new update.

Yes, but what is the difference (supposed to be) between button-front and button-up?

@abfabvintage wrote:

Only way you can describe your item more accurately is to also add your own custom Item Specifics. This is where I break out whether it is Hawaiian, etc. I add in Style 2 (Hawaiian), Style 3 (Camp Shirt), etc. You are allowed up to at least 20 Item Specifics which includes what eBay suggests. I have my own listing program, not using ebay tools, and it stops me when I go over 20. I may do overkill? But now ebay is promoting using as many Item Specifics as possible if you are not using their catalogue. Also claiming outside engines pick them up. I sell pre-owned and would never use the catalogue. Good Luck.

I have used custom specifics, but not to add additional Styles.  That is a great idea!  Thank you!  But have you checked/tested to see if your listing is included in the search results from a search with a checkmark in the Hawaiian Style box when you have "Hawaiian" listed as Style 2?   I may have to do that.  Easy enough to pull up one of my current listings, edit it to add a Custom Style 2 and then do a search.  Thanks for the tip!

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Perhaps it is 'button  front' = buttons front and center, entire bottom to neck.  And, 'button up' = buttons front, side or wherever, entire bottom to neck?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@mangorunner 

Glad I could be somewhat helpful. And yes, to me? Button up or button front would be the same. I would pick button front. But have no clue. Take a look at one of my listings...also, if they have an "accessories" option, I also do Accessories 1, 2, 3. And really, in this day and age here, I have no clue what would come up in search since right now to me search is dysfunctional. Therefore I put everything I can in IS except my first born lolol to hopefully get someone to view and buy.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@mangorunner 

And to me, clothing is clothing and all clothing should have the same specifics. Take a look at the Vintage clothing for Men or Women specifics. It is all over the place last time I looked. All clothing should have the standard specifics. Then maybe some specifics related only to vintage. If you get what I mean.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Vintage should be a Item Specifics checkbox INSIDE of Men's Clothing (or Women's), not a mutually exclusive category. (For those who don't know, you choose EITHER Vintage OR Men's Clothing; something can't be in both categories unless you are willing to pay for listing in extra categories. Same with Uniforms/Work Clothes and Wedding/Formal Occasions - neither of those should not be separate/outside of Men's/Women's Clothing. But they are. So dumb and so frustrating.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Hi, @mangorunner Button Up and Button Down are not the same thing. button-up shirt refers to any shirt that buttons up the front. A button-down shirt refers to the collar of a button-up shirt. If the collar can be fastened to the shirt via buttons, then it's a button-down shirt.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@mangorunner wrote:

have you checked/tested to see if your listing is included in the search results from a search with a checkmark in the Hawaiian Style box when you have "Hawaiian" listed as Style 2?   I may have to do that.  Easy enough to pull up one of my current listings, edit it to add a Custom Style 2 and then do a search. 

I tested it.   I took one of my current listings in Men's Casual Shirts that has "Button-Front" as the Style selection.  I added "Camp Shirt", "Collared" and "Hawaiian" as Custom Item Specifics under the labels Style 2, 3 and 4.  I let it mellow awhile to make sure the edits were updated in the eBay system before testing.  Then I ran a three separate eBay searches, each time checking off one of those styles in the default Style box (screenshot, below).  My listing did not appear in the results for any of those three searches.   It appears that the words/terms put in Custom Item Specifics boxes do not bleed over as matches for search terms in the default boxes.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Maybe button up doesn't allow you to button in the opposite direction like button front does. Like zip-up doesn't allow for zip-down 😶

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

LOL
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I actually thought the OP was you because of the avatar.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply