cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Me too, I have also been robbed by eBay's customer support ...

Yes it happened to me also. I've read about it from others, and could not think it even possible that eBay would rob me too.

But they did.

- One of the buyers filed a complaint about the products he received from me saying they were not as described.

- The SNAD was partly described as not being made by the manufacturer as described in the object.

- He did not file any specifics about where and why the shipped goods to him differed from the description.

- I was confident that eBay's CS would detect this false claim, and reject it because there was no evidence.

- Surprise, Surprise. eBay's CS did not even look at the arguments supplied, and directly advised the buyer to return the goods to me.

- I did not give permission for a return, and repeated this disallowance verbatim the object listing.

- eBay refunded the payment after the buyer provided the return shipping tracking code.

I  objected several times. eBay never looked to the arguments before or after. They refered to the appliable buyer protection policy and Paypal regulation to which I agreed.  But this case makes clear that eBay themselves violate those buyer protection regulations, and did not check or evaluate the validity of the buyer's claim. eBay is obliged to do so, and perform a validity check. They failed to do so.

So I have been robbed by eBay's customer support for $400.

Who is going to rectify them ? I tried with Paypal and they don't care either.

Message 1 of 72
latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

I've read about it from others, and could not think it even possible that eBay would rob me too.

Considering that stories like yours are posted here multiple times every single day, and have been for years, what in the world led you to believe it would not be possible the same could happen to you? 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 61 of 72
latest reply

A complaint only is not sufficient. ************************************************************************************************************** And yet, it was. Imagine that.
Message 62 of 72
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

Hi @marjen7102I'm happy to clarify! If a returned package is refused and we are asked to make a decision, we will close the case in the buyers favor. This means the seller will be out the item and the funds. It's definitely best for sellers to accept a returned package for this reason.

Effectively this means that eBay ignores the condition mentioned in the listing.

A condition "the seller does accept returns" is totally irrelevant to eBay's CS.
Accepting a return is interpreted or translated by eBay as a dissolution of the buyer's purchase.

Message 63 of 72
latest reply

@evrieze wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

Hi @marjen7102I'm happy to clarify! If a returned package is refused and we are asked to make a decision, we will close the case in the buyers favor. This means the seller will be out the item and the funds. It's definitely best for sellers to accept a returned package for this reason.

Effectively this means that eBay ignores the condition mentioned in the listing.

A condition "the seller does accept returns" is totally irrelevant to eBay's CS.
Accepting a return is interpreted or translated by eBay as a dissolution of the buyer's purchase.

Actually its that the seller's option to  not accept returns, does not supercede ebay buyer protection policies. Had the buyer simply changed his mind etc then your no returns option is observed. When the buyer claimed a SNAD issue, the buyer protection  policy took priority and you were supposed to accept the return. You keep going back to "I don't accept returns" but that is not the rule with highest priority.

Message 64 of 72
latest reply

@evrieze wrote:

@lunalapin1912 wrote:

@evrieze wrote:
The listing clearly stated that the seller did NOT allow returns.
So unless there is a valid reason to reverse the transaction, the buyer is NOT allowed to return.

There was a valid reason, the item was not as described.   

Do you read ? "The products supplied were as described. There was no difference with the listing"

Obviously the buyer didn't agree, and the buyer is the one who makes that decision.  You need to stop taking it personally and work on improving your listings.  

Message 65 of 72
latest reply

To play devils advocate for the OP whom I wouldn't side with both for attitude nor policy, I nevertheless take exception to what one poster claimed as both parties being "made whole"? How is this happening if the item was genuine, the buyer lied or was mistaken, or wanted to wear an item of clothing to an event for in effect a free rental, (happens a lot in dept stores) and the seller was required tp foot the bill for shipping each way? *************************************************************************************************************** I see your point, however, the concept of both parties being made whole is that Ebay tries to undo the transaction~seller gets his item back, the buyer received a refund. Generally, that should work, but Ebay doesn't know what the seller or the buyer sent, and it could be that a seller who is adamant that he didn't get his item back, really DID get his item back~or the buyer could have sent something else back. The OP insisted on rejecting the return, even to the point of refusing delivery, which resulted in the buyer getting his money back and the item. The buyer did his part and sent it back, sellers cannot avoid a return by refusing delivery, and if they do, it only hurts them, as it did here.
Message 66 of 72
latest reply

Ebay should at least require the buyer to furnish a short description citing reasonable suspicions why they thought ir was not authentic or they might as well just allow changed my mind returns or advertise rental clothing for special events. 

While Ebay doesn't require this, the OP stated that the buyer said there was a strange imprint on the part that led him to believe the part was counterfeit.

Message 67 of 72
latest reply

@batvette wrote:

Actually its that the seller's option to  not accept returns, does not supercede ebay buyer protection policies. Had the buyer simply changed his mind etc then your no returns option is observed. When the buyer claimed a SNAD issue, the buyer protection  policy took priority and you were supposed to accept the return. You keep going back to "I don't accept returns" but that is not the rule with highest priority.

I don't have a problem with the buyer protection. I have agreed to it. And if the buyer has filed a complaint and claim that does apply to the buyer protection definition, that that is fine with me.
The point is, the buyer protection regulation contains conditions which must be met before a claim can result in a refund. If the requirements are not fulfilled, or if the claim is such that the SNAD claim is found invalid. then the claim must be rejected.  So eBay needs to check and verify which they failed to perform. I have explained and

demonstrated that the buyer did not show any explanation of any propertiy of the delivered goods that differed with the object description. The posted SNAD claim was fictitious and did not meet the requirements for a refund.

The proper sequence (according to the defined buyer protection policy) should be  :

1) Verify whether claim is valid and none of the exceptions applies.
2) IF both requirements are met THEN

{

ask the buyer to return the shipped goods

after the goods are returned refund payment to buyer;

}
ELSE

{

reject the claim and close the case without further actions

}

Message 68 of 72
latest reply

Four pages~it still doesn't change the way it really does work, sorry.

Perhaps re-read this thread with an open mind.

Message 69 of 72
latest reply

I have read, and reread, and thought after reading this thread, and reread the english and the german and the dutch versions of the eBay buyer protection policy, and that from Paypal in three languages, and the conclusion is still the same.
eBay is has promised to check and verify disputes in accordance with those rules, and they failed to. They ignored and violated the buyer protection policies, the seller's return conditions, and refunded the buyer without any explanation or justification. I don't accept such misconduct.
Message 70 of 72
latest reply

Maybe re-read again because this was thoroughly explained, something is being missed.  They reviewed and rendered a decision, end of story.  I understand you don't LIKE the decision, but it is what it is, and arguing won't change it. 

Message 71 of 72
latest reply

I hesitate to bump this thread again, but I recently came across this post from an eBay employee which explains exactly how eBay interprets this situation now. eBay decides a Money Back Guarantee case based on the reason the buyer selected for the case, and nothing else.

@Anonymous wrote:
<snip>

Hello @ UserID, at this time eBay will only look to the reason selected by the buyer if we are asked to step in on a return. We found that attempting to determine if a return request was valid based on the member to member messages or other details most often led to an incorrect decision. In an effort to be as accurate as possible, only the return reason is looked to.

While I understand that the buyer's opening message to you has led you to believe that they are returning this item for remorse or that they misread the listing, they are the only party that is able to say what their reason is for returning the item. They have selected that their purchase did not match the listing description or photos and attempting to interpret their followup message does not assure us with certainty that their concern is remorse. 

I would encourage you to continue to work with your buyer and contact Customer Service once you have the item back if you have any additional questions.

You keep saying that eBay "promised" you that they would do this or that.  Your misunderstanding is believing that eBay promised the seller (you) anything. They don't promise anything to the seller in the eBay Money Back Guarantee policy.

The only promise in the eBay Money Back Guarantee is made to the buyer, not the seller. This is it:

eBay Money Back Guarantee
Get the item you ordered or get your money back. Learn more

That is the only promise that is made. Everything else in the policy is more explanation, but not a promise. eBay will enforce everything in the policy according to their own interpretation, but the only promise is what is shown in the quote above.

As I've said before, eBay doesn't debate their policies, and the only interpretation of eBay policy that matters is eBay's interpretation. That is very clearly explained in the quote from the eBay employee.
Message 72 of 72
latest reply