cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May 21st Disaster-Waiting-To-Happen

I've just been notified that on May 21st eBay will take total control of distributing payments to sellers. Unfortunately eBay will require bank account numbers in order to do this, so let me see now.  EBay already has been hacked and once it gets hacked again the hacker(s) will have my bank account number, as well as a treasure trove of other personal information.  Oh, but eBay is a "secure" website, right?  Just like it was a "secure" website before being hacked a few years ago.  Did anyone working for eBay ever think that eBay now will become a "holy grail" for hackers once this new "improvement" takes place?  Of course, when eBay does get hacked presumably eBay's response, if it chooses to tell anyone at all (remember Facebook), will be to advise that everyone change their bank account numbers.  Thanks eBay.  The past 20 years have been enjoyable.

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: May 21st Disaster-Waiting-To-Happen

Zero “DISASTERS” with MP for over 2 years. 

Message 31 of 39
latest reply

@mr.jcmint wrote:

.... so Why is eBay doing this - you cannot tell me it is better for the Seller since all of Sellers privileges have been slowly gleaned away for years ..so This Move Must benefit eBay & the Buyer in some fashion More than the Seller?!?

I think the reason should be obvious. 

Since eBay was forced to sell off PayPal in 2015, about $3 billion per year in payment processing fees has been bypassing eBay and going directly into PayPal's coffers. 

eBay wants to keep that $3 billion per year in payment processing fees for themselves. 

Message 32 of 39
latest reply

Change your passwords and user ID frequently as with ANY account online to insure that your accounts will not be hacked.

Message 33 of 39
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Change your passwords and user ID frequently as with ANY account online to insure that your accounts will not be hacked.

And for the love of god, pick a password that isn't:

Your child's name

Your pet's name

The city you live in

Your date of birth

A Disney Princess

"Password"

Message 34 of 39
latest reply

DO what is best for YOU!

Good luck !!!

Message 35 of 39
latest reply

Remember some years ago Ebay practically forced you to use PayPal ??

Now Ebay will not process your payments to PayPal...........only a bank account  !!

Every change Ebay makes is for Ebay not the sellers who made Ebay.

Close the account ??.........No, will keep open for buying.......can still use PayPal to pay (until Ebay stops that also and makes you pay with Ebay).

Speaking of buying..... hopefully more than 1 of every 3 things bought with be as described and not as received.

Thanks 4097x

Message 36 of 39
latest reply

@mr.jcmint wrote:

.... so Why is eBay doing this - you cannot tell me it is better for the Seller since all of Sellers privileges have been slowly gleaned away for years ..so This Move Must benefit eBay & the Buyer in some fashion More than the Seller?!?

My opinion it's a Bad idea - More hassle, More Steps (KISS) for Sellers with Banks & transferring Back into Paypal ...More Intrusive for eBay ...

Does this have to be a Brick & Mortar Bank, or are there Secure Online Banks that are Similar to Paypal in Nature?

Again - Just seems like More hassle for the Seller & More Control & Intrusion on your personal being ..

I think its a BAD Idea for sellers using Paypal for So long - I mean What Is The Reason? Why Not Paypal?

Just My opinion

????

The eBay - Paypal split happened in 2015 and made major news, and the managed payments rollout has been since 2018, and this been discussed ad nauseam.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 37 of 39
latest reply

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments-Resources/How-does-the-updated-eBay-payments-experience-work-...

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 38 of 39
latest reply

You are correct that all the advice you're getting is bull. Here's the straight scoop:

There is no more secure way to do marketplace business online than to use Paypal as a proxy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
But all the Paypal marketplace solutions suck at this time.

Patience is a virtue.

Message 39 of 39
latest reply