cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

March 2019 Policy Change -- Forced “Good Til Canceled”

eBay's new policy to force users to use "Good Til Canceled" is one of the worst decisions eBay has made in the last 10 or 15 years.  An EcommerceBytes survey conducted earlier this month states that 72% of those who responded think it is a BAD IDEA.  I guess we will find out if eBay cares what its customers think...  Hello Amazon?

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

Re: March 2019 Policy Change -- Forced “Good Til Canceled”

In the latest announcement, "Good ‘Til Cancelled Update from Harry Temkin, VP of Seller Experience", it is mentioned that this policy change will cause potential problems and confusion for the sellers.  Why wasn't this thought out more carefully before forcing it down our throats?  Nowhere does it mention how this change benefits the sellers in any way.  What a nightmare....

Message 16 of 67
latest reply

@justdecadent wrote:

I agree.  Although Good Til Canceled is useful for some items, we all know that no one buys anything in collectibles until the last day of the listing.  So if you list Good Til Cancelled, it may get in watch lists, but there won't be any transactions for at least 29 days.

The thing about collectibles is that they are items folks just want, not that they need, so when they find it, often they just buy it.  I see no relationship for my nearly 3000 GTC items between listing dates and sale dates.

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 17 of 67
latest reply

Well the new system is in place and I have not had one sale with the new format! It does not work! I am not at all happy and I have been selling on ebay since 1998! Almost one week with not one sale!!!!

Ebay is costing me money everyday with this ridiculous change.

Colleenscornerltd

Message 18 of 67
latest reply

A significant portion of their entire used market really doesn't benefit for this format. Again, I go back to the key times of an auction being newly listed and ending soonest. Without a doubt those are searches that many folks do a bulk of their searching with when it comes to used items. Outside of those time periods it is just wasted time.

many items I have sold over the years aren't items you " search for specifically " I guess you could call them more or less impulse buys. They caught your eye and you purchase them. I buy the same way. That is how I do most of my buying and most of my selling. That type of purchasing is part and parcel to the category I deal in.

It is like a garage sale. Most of the stuff you buy there is based on the fact it caught your eye and the price was right ect..So you bought it. My stuff I sell in large part is just not stuff you search for specifically. Not to mention stuff that is older may not even be on the radar of younger generations. Doesn't mean it can't get their interest if they run into it.

I have always found that the more often I can take advantage of the newly listed and ending soonest searches the better off I am. So again, from being able to take advantage of these 4 times in a month at a 7 day auction to 1 time.

Shoot, this auction time frame is so long you can have somebody who may have purchased one of my items in their youth, die from old age by the time the listing is close to ending. I mean cmon ebay what are you trying to do to us?

And the fees increase with the advantages for ME as a seller decreases. You should have been charging me more up til this point and now you should be paying me to sell with this malarkey format.
Message 19 of 67
latest reply

Well what a mess the new GTC is why have a store anymore. So i just sold a die - cast car with a limited edition number on the car,  if they relist it after 30 days & someone buys it,  it wont have the same number i am confused ???

This new GTC makes no sense at all I am a power seller but looks like i will be looking for other sites to list my items.

They say face book works good & no fees ebay you may be loosing us sellers if you keep making these stupid changes.

Message 20 of 67
latest reply

@div_style wrote:

@justdecadent wrote:

I agree.  Although Good Til Canceled is useful for some items, we all know that no one buys anything in collectibles until the last day of the listing.  So if you list Good Til Cancelled, it may get in watch lists, but there won't be any transactions for at least 29 days.

The thing about collectibles is that they are items folks just want, not that they need, so when they find it, often they just buy it.  I see no relationship for my nearly 3000 GTC items between listing dates and sale dates.

I sell a lot of collectibles and the vast majority of them sell in the middle of the listing duration rather than at the beginning or the end.  In fact, I get far more sales at the beginning of a listing (probably because people have saved searches for those items) than I do at the end.  I almost never sell anything on its last day.

Message 21 of 67
latest reply

Excuse me...it is NOT as simple as that.

If you do not keep track, you will be charged insertion fees. If you cancel your forced upon "good until canceled" listing, you are at risk of ebay seller defects for closing a listing early.

Ebay is a platform we sellers pay dearly to use. They do NOT provide my items, take my pictures. research and describe each listing and suffer the unfair practices that fault the seller if a buyer has buyers remorse or simply change their mind or lie about damage or any other nonsense. 

They want to cater to only big sellers. The small seller may have put ebay on the road to success but now we collectable and unique item sellers are simply a hindrance.

Message 22 of 67
latest reply

Unless you have the Out of Stock Option checked, any GTC with one item will end when sold and won't relist.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 23 of 67
latest reply

If you have a small(250 listings) store and that is all,gtc is right for you.If you have more and you have an "unsold file" with a list of listings that were not relisted,you have 90 days to relist them or Ebay will drop them.When my listing ended the listings would go to my"unsold"file.Now with gtc,you do not have the option to either relist or not.If the ended listings go over you store amount(250),then you will pay a fee for each listing after your store limit of 250.I go to my unsold file to relist.I like to rotate my listings every 2 months.With gtc ,I can not do this,so I end the listing before it ends and it goes to my unsold file.

Message 24 of 67
latest reply

I wish Amazon would have a division for vintage items.  Time to email Mr. bezos and see if he really wants to finish taking down ebay.

Message 25 of 67
latest reply

This is EXACTLY how I manage my listings -- GTC WILL NOT WORK FOR ME!

Thanks for your WONDERFUL improvements eBay!

Still not happy..........

Message 26 of 67
latest reply

I've been selling on Ebay since 1996. As a result of this policy change I will be retooling many of my listings and offerings for Etsy and more targeted selling markets instead of the world's largest garage sale. Any justification for this change is only due to their inability or unwillingness to change their algorithms to compensate. 

All I can say is BEWARE of those "free listings" emails from now on. 

Message 27 of 67
latest reply

I am not going to write anyone, or take a survey. I believe I am going to start working my way out of eBay. The auctions are dead. The fixed price are dead. Scared to death of every emails I get from a buyer. The GTC is horrible. The fees are terrible. There has to be someplace better.
Message 28 of 67
latest reply

Yep that pretty much sums up Ebay 2019. To be honest Ebay wasn't very darn good before the GTC change, or for that matter the last half decade. The only consistent part has been that they are wildly inconsistent. So much change, buyers and sellers jumping ship, dictating policies, etc.

You can't rely on Ebay. Its not a pleasurable experience. Its in constant flux. 

Sad its come to this but the sellers that built this place tried telling them over and over and they dismissed them as noise. It seems that noise has chipped away at this once bustling megastructures stranglehold and in the meantime helped build The River into a giant. This GTC change, and the sellers disapproval of it, in a vacuum, is a perfect example of how Ebay has ended up in the dire position its in today.

Message 29 of 67
latest reply

i'm going to check out amazon, i don't have 1000 items to list so why have an ebay store

Message 30 of 67
latest reply