cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for information

First, this post isn't about bashing eBay. I am posting this to gather information so I can make a decision on what to do about my eBay store. I have read that over the last few months other peoples sells has also declined. I was wondering if they ever picked up? I have never had a problem selling my night lights, but lately I am not getting any sells on eBay. It is not the economy, pictures, summer, or anything like that. I have other stores (not eBay) that is still doing very well. I assumed that eBay was just doing "changes" again and that things would pick back up when they were done....but they are just getting worse. I feel like I am just throwing money away by trying to sell my night lights here. So, my question is: Has sells picked up for you? I will keep my stuff on eBay if I feel like there is a chance of things getting better...but if not, I will move my stuff to my other stores. Thank you (in advance) for helping me make this decision.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Looking for information

When I search the words night light there are 140,000 results. 

When I search by Best Match, yours are not in the top 1,000.  

When I search by Lowest Price, yours are not in the top 10,000. 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Thank you. I know. I am getting very little views on eBay. It is frustrating.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@kknighto

This is just my opinion ...

Your gallery photos (1st pictures) are unappealing.

Use the unlighted pics as your 1st pic.

Make a cutout of plain white posterboard to go around that outlet for your photos ... The textured wall is making everything look warped and yellow.

Crop your pics so that at least 90% is the item ... some of your (very pretty) night lights are getting lost in the background.

If you are making these yourself, try and emphasise their uniqueness somehow ... "handmade" in the title.

As lucky said ... you are lost in the pack in a category dominated by cheap Chinese items...you need to stand out somehow ...

Good luck

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

OP, if you are selling anything that the Chinese can make and sell, ebay is showing the Chinese items first.  The new CEO has stated in many ways that China will be the salvation of ebay AND that ebay will send/sell information about the hottest sellers to China so they can produce the items and have them on the market within days to meet demand.

Guess where that leaves everyone that isn't Chinese?

(*Bleep*)
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

When did your sales drop? The last three months your sales look fairly consistent. What were they before?

I think your prices are fair, I have seen some nice similar themed mass produced night light covers, just the covers, selling for that much. 

When you have unique items that aren't cheap junk, visibility is VERY important. If your items are unique, with no competition, visibility is much more important then price (to an extent) there are people who do not want mass produced junk and value unique, but they have to see your nightlights before they will buy them. You can't sell them if no one sees them. For me markdown manager/sales do seem to help and I see you are using that. If you aren't in the top 1000 for best match WITH markdown manager - that hurts.

Your items may be good candidates for promoted listings - I know a lot of small sellers hate them. But IF you wish to stay viable with a store subscription it may be necessary.  Maybe consider raising your prices a little and use promoted listings (or not use markdown manager for anything you use promoted listing on) and keep using markdown manager on other listings.You sell the same kind of items, hopefully they will see the promoted item and then browse your store. I would start with a very low number, a couple at most, just to get something on the first page of search, and see if it makes any difference. I am still not sure about the whole promoted listing program (I don't know if I've had any direct success with it). For me, any item promoted and hasn't sold, sales have actually fallen for those items, even an item that was one of my best sellers before using promoted listings. But what is your choice? I would at least consider it before closing your store.

Can you make the covers interchangeable? you may sell multiple covers to repeat buyers if they can change them. If they are interchangeable and you sell the covers people will continue to return just to pruchase the interchaneable covers, and are more likely to purchase the first nightlight. If they are interchangeable, advertise that point.

Some people will say it is the time of year. But I never compare sales month to month... always same month previous years. If someone has been here 15 years, and this is the worst June sales ever, the weak sales can not be blamed on it being summer.

How often do you use markdown manager. I've been researching ways to improve my own sales and saw where eBay says there must be at least two days between putting an item on sale through mark down manager. I know in the past I have run back to back sales (that included same item/listing) and wonder how that affects visibility because sales do seem weaker then normal when I have done that.

Another option may be to close your store and use free listings until your historic good months. I would imagine sales would pick up in autumn. You said sales in other places were good, so maybe  putting time and effort in other areas would be more profitable. But IF you have the time, and it is profitable, why not keep an eBay presense.

Whether you keep your store, or not, is only a decision you can make. but there are questions to consider, are your sales supporting a store now? If they do, does the increase in sales from non-store to store pay for the store? IOW, having a store I sell 10 more items, profit from those items pays for store, then maybe keep the store.

eBay is its own economy, was even more so in the past. I loved one of your items, the hummingbird picture one.... my sales are currently weak so I will put off purchasing it, where in the past I wouldn't have thought twice about buying it. Maybe I can in the future if sales improve.... I don't spend because my sales are weak, so your sales drop, in response you don't buy something... another small seller sales drops, so he limits his purchases and the downward spiral of the eBay closed loop localized small seller/buyer economy continues. If you sell items not bought by users who are small sellers/buyers the impact will be much less noticeable.

There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy and a tragedy.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I had many of my items listed as "Good Until Cancelled" and my sales literally dropped down to nothing.  Then I discovered that GTC listings apparently drop off the search index after a certain amount of time (I think it might be 90 days).  As soon as I changed all my listings to 30 day duration, I started getting sales again.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@kknighto wrote:

First, this post isn't about bashing eBay. I am posting this to gather information so I can make a decision on what to do about my eBay store. I have read that over the last few months other peoples sells has also declined. I was wondering if they ever picked up? I have never had a problem selling my night lights, but lately I am not getting any sells on eBay. It is not the economy, pictures, summer, or anything like that. I have other stores (not eBay) that is still doing very well. I assumed that eBay was just doing "changes" again and that things would pick back up when they were done....but they are just getting worse. I feel like I am just throwing money away by trying to sell my night lights here. So, my question is: Has sells picked up for you? I will keep my stuff on eBay if I feel like there is a chance of things getting better...but if not, I will move my stuff to my other stores. Thank you (in advance) for helping me make this decision.

Well since you were having sales then suffered a drop, without any obvious cause, (which I might add many of us have experienced), I wish I had better information for you. My sales zoomed this weekend and now I have dropped back into obscurity. Something's afoot, but I'll be darned if I know what.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Your handmade night lights are very nice.  🙂

I will  be buying a few of them.

As I was going down your listings I was thinking, wow how cool would it be to have a 70's smiley face then there it was!

🙂

Tammy

New Hampshire

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

"Sell" is a verb.

The noun you are looking for is "sale".

I have two suggestions.

Add "Handmade in the USA" to your titles.

Increase your customer base by selling to Canada, Europe and Australia.

• Use USPS First Class International Package NOT Global Shipping Program for your inexpensive items.
  • Follow the Shape and Size icon for Calculated Shipping pricing:  https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440
  • FCIP is delivery confirmed.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

You've sold 3 since you posted this, and who knows how many more you will sell in the future. I'm still debating the Hummingbird ones. So the major problem isn't the pricing or images or whatever... the problem is the people who would purchase these aren't seeing them.  Of course so much goes into search placement every little bit helps (ie better images or sales) and  gives you higher visibility.

Now lets see how many new threads pop up with sellers trying to copy this success by getting people to look at their stuff in hopes someone will buy something.

There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy and a tragedy.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Your sales have dropped and will continue to drop, as eBay stopped including a "full description" with your item listing.  This started a few days ago.  Whether you see it or not, I DO NOT SEE IT, and neither do millions of potential buyers.  There is now a "button" to click "See full item description" and then a second screen opens up, which provides your full description.  Very anti-buyer friendly and extremely detrimental to all sellers.  Also, eBay is now placing advertisements within your listings.  Mine have ads for credit cards, oscar mayer weiners, patio furniture, etc.  Again, these ads are WITHIN the four corners of your listing - your full item description IS NOT.  Every seller is losing sales, as buyers no longer see the item description.  It's a mess and very deceptive and evil on eBay's part.  You MAY see your full item description, but I DO NOT!  It matters.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Lose the commas in the listing titles. Punctuation messes up search. Remember, the title is just a list of searchable keywords. Include size (height) as well as subject and color.

Write the title vertically, with the most important keywords at the top -- but try to keep the words in natural "speaking order." It's OK to emphasize a specific phrase by using ALL CAPS to catch the reader's eye as he/she skims search results.

Home Decor is a very broad and crowded category. Have you considered other categories related to the night light subject -- cat, dog, shell, etc. -- rather than the generic product? Is there a separate "lighting" category or subcategory? How about an "art" category?

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Your items are so awesome !  I agree with what others have already posted - change your titles.  Yes, I know you were making sales before with these titles but you have to try something.

Delete the room (kitchen, bedroom, etc) and definitely add artisan handmade usa (something like that).  Can you use "outlet" insteasd of wall plug in?  Just thinking of what will save letters that are better used for something more descriptive and searchable.  (Of course, for all I know wall plug in are the definitive words needed for night light searches.)

Every comma is a character - ditch those, too, as someone already said.

I don't remember - did the ghost night light say Halloween in the title?  That's a very good key word, for example.

Also not familiar with the categories but try to maybe find one that is less saturated.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 14 of 14
latest reply