cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late find on listing error

I have an auction ending in 6 hours and someone just pointed out an error. The picture has a coin that shouldn't be there. The others are all silver and how I thought a 1984 was a 1934 was reckless on my part. There are 2 bids on the auction so it won't allow me to end it. What should I do?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Late find on listing error

I would e-mail the bidders, if E-bay will let you, explain that one of the coins is a 1984 coin.

And that you would have no issue if they wanted to retract their bids and then you can start the auction over. 

If they have already noticed this and are not having an issue with it, then let the auction go on.

But you are, at the very least, giving them a choice to continue.

I know that you don't want to deceive them and when looking at your auction, I can see which one is the 1984.  Now that you have mentioned it.   Your pictures show this, but even when knowing this, I had to take an extra second to two to figure out which one was wrong, but your description doesn't.

I doubt that you were reckless.  These things happen sometimes.

COYOTES RULE!!!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I would e-mail the bidders, if E-bay will let you, explain that one of the coins is a 1984 coin.

And that you would have no issue if they wanted to retract their bids and then you can start the auction over. 

If they have already noticed this and are not having an issue with it, then let the auction go on.

But you are, at the very least, giving them a choice to continue.

I know that you don't want to deceive them and when looking at your auction, I can see which one is the 1984.  Now that you have mentioned it.   Your pictures show this, but even when knowing this, I had to take an extra second to two to figure out which one was wrong, but your description doesn't.

I doubt that you were reckless.  These things happen sometimes.

COYOTES RULE!!!

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

If the bids aren't retracted and someone new bids and wins last second I will hope for some understanding:)

I will throw in a different silver coin regardless. Thank you for your help!

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

End all bids and cancel the auction. Take the hit.

Do not plan on the winner being "understanding" or accepting of a substitute.

Radine

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@pargran3 wrote:

End all bids and cancel the auction....

That's not possible, because the auction has less than 12 hours left.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@creekcoyote wrote:

And that you would have no issue if they wanted to retract their bids and then you can start the auction over. ....

During the final 12 hours of an auction, it is not possible for a bidder to retract their bid, except within an hour after placing it.  Even if the bidders did retract, it's not possible for the seller to end the auction during the final 12 hours, except to sell to the current high bidder.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I would cancel the two bids, then go back to the auction when it has only a few minutes left, and prepare to try to cancel any bids that come in during the final minutes.  IMHO that's the best way to avoid haggling over a misrepresented listing with a disappointed winning bidder.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

It won't allow me to cancel the bids.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply