cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late Shipping Defects

Is anyone else being given "Late Shipment" defects because the USPS is being very slow? The first couple of times I appealed the defects and Ebay removed them. But now Ebay refuses to remove additional defects. They state...

"We cannot remove it in this instance, as it is an indicator of a less than positive buying experience. We understand you may feel that you did everything to take care of your buyer."

I've had 1-day handling time. I give all my packages to the post office the day after I make the sale. But then the USPS takes 2 weeks to deliver a package and Ebay gives me a defect and says I need to do better. I have zero control over the package once it's in the USPS' possession.

I just changed all my listings from 1-day to 3-days handling time to create some margin to hopefully stop the late shipping defects.

I've been an Ebay member since 1997 and have sold things on and off for 23 years. During the past year I've ramped up my selling and have sold close to 1000 items. But I've never received any "late shipping" defects until the past couple of weeks and I've been receiving many. I don't want to lose Top Seller status because Ebay blames me for the USPS.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Late Shipping Defects

The exact notation on my sellers page is "Tracking indicates late delivery." I'm getting a lot of these lately and they have nothing to do with my local post office and whether I put it in a bin or give it to a person.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Late shipping defects can be avoided by printing a scan form and having USPS scan it when you drop off your packages.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

It's very time consuming as there's usually a long line with only 1 or 2 clerks working the counter. Plus, it does nothing to avoid the package taking 2 weeks to be delivered and Ebay giving me the defect for the late delivery. That is the issue I'm having.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

USPS prioritizes drop offs, and they are required to scan forms when customers present them.

This means you should be able to walk up, leave your packages at an empty window, and get a scan. There should be no waiting in line for this.

Late delivery and late shipment are two different things. You said the defects were for late shipment.

Whatever the case, I recommend getting the scan at drop-off. It will protect you from late shipment defects when your packages don't get into the system right away and are delivered late. If a package is delivered late but you have an on-time acceptance scan, you will avoid a late shipping defect.

Posting ID
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

The exact notation on my sellers page is "Tracking indicates late delivery." I'm getting a lot of these lately and they have nothing to do with my local post office and whether I put it in a bin or give it to a person.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I just reposted to better describe the issue.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

You might try upping your handling to 5 business days.  Also opt out of Guaranteed Delivery.  It will hurt your sales to varying degree, but it will help avoid account defects IMO.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Apparently, "Guaranteed Delivery" is a newer program that they're slowly making available to sellers in increments. It's not yet available to me so I can't join or opt out. I got excited there for a moment.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@srduck wrote:

If you get a "defect" for "late delivery", it is because your package did not get an arrival scan within your handling time. If a package simply arrives "late" that you shipped on time (validated by an arrival scan within your handling time), you are protected from any "defect".

You can achieve this 100% by getting a scan when you drop off your package, which as I said before, USPS post office staff is obligated to do. No waiting. No lines. They must scan when you present a form at drop-off.

This solves the problem you articulated. You're welcome.

Posting ID
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I disagree with your comment: "If a package simply arrives "late" that you shipped on time (validated by an arrival scan within your handling time), you are protected from any "defect".

I have received more that 1 defect after shipping on time and getting a scan when dropping off at post office. When I check the tracking after getting the defect, it shows everything correct - but simply late and not delivered.

So how am I "protected from any "defect"??? 

I have called ebay and had it corrected before - but this time I think I will just wait and see if it goes away.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply