cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got a message from someone wanting buyer info on item sold a month ago

This is the first time I had this question asked by someone, He wants the buyer ID on an item I sold a month ago. I have no intention of giving out this information and have ignored the message. He wants to try and buy it from the new owner. Does ebay have any policy on such activity? I have to wonder where this buyer was when I was nearly giving it away a month ago.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

It would be a violation of eBay's Privacy Policy:

"You may use the personal information that you have access to only for eBay transaction-related purposes, or for other services offered through eBay (such as escrow, shipping, fraud complaints, and member-to-member communications), and for purposes expressly consented by the user to whom the information relates. Using personal information of other users that you have access to for any other purpose constitutes a violation of our User Agreement."

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I've been asked this before, I just say "I'm sorry, I can't reveal the information, it's against eBay policy." 

Some will suggest asking the buyer from a month ago if it's OK - I wouldn't even go there. The item is sold, you're not acting as its broker. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I've gotten this request and told them that while I won't give them the buyers info, I would pass along theirs to the buyer and that would be my only involvement.

However, that was years and years ago before eBay started cracking down on information sent through messages, so I wouldn't suggest doing it these days. Or eBay will probably think you're trying conduct an off eBay sale.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@murphy71605 wrote:

This is the first time I had this question asked by someone, He wants the buyer ID on an item I sold a month ago. I have no intention of giving out this information and have ignored the message. He wants to try and buy it from the new owner. Does ebay have any policy on such activity? I have to wonder where this buyer was when I was nearly giving it away a month ago.

I would just ignore the other person and report the message to ebay. What he is doing and trying to do is not allowed.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply