cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item was sent back. Buyer won't respond.

So a few weeks back, I sold a video game to a seller without any issue. Payment came fast and I shipped it same day. Yesterday, the item came back with a label saying the address was incorrect. I went through his profile and it was indeed the correct address or rather the one he put on his profile. I tried to look up the address manually to make sure it was okay and it turned out to be an empty apartment in Arizona. So it seems almost like someone trying to pull a scam, but why would they pay me? Has anyone had any issues like this? I've attempted to contact them with no response. Their profile is limited and it seems they just joined Ebay in January 2021. Is this some way they thought to get both the item and a refund possibly? If anyone has an idea, I'm all ears. Thank you.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Item was sent back. Buyer won't respond.

@risd-chri 

I would stop contacting them. When they want a resolution, they will contact you. 

When an item is returned to sender, the seller is not obligated to refund anything. What you could do though, since it’s not right to have the money and the item, give them a refund minus shipping and any fees you incurred from the transaction. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Even if it was an empty apartment it should still have been delivered?  I've had packages bounce because of incorrect addresses, every time it was the buyer's fault.  One time it was a house number that didn't exist on the street, one time a word was removed from the street name which made it a place that didn't exist, etc.

How long has it been since you tried to contact the buyer?

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Maybe he entered it incorrectly in his eBay account.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

It's been a few days since I sent out a message. I only have some suspicion due to this happening once before. I tried to sell a playstation 4 to someone who kept demanding money back claiming it wouldn't work but he wouldn't send it back nor would he contact me anymore. It's also a new account with only three comments so I just wanted to be cautious. What would be a good solution for this situation if he doesn't respond?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@risd-chri 

I would stop contacting them. When they want a resolution, they will contact you. 

When an item is returned to sender, the seller is not obligated to refund anything. What you could do though, since it’s not right to have the money and the item, give them a refund minus shipping and any fees you incurred from the transaction. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

What would be a good solution for this situation if he doesn't respond”.”

If they are a new member, or using a guest account, they may not know, or be able, to check their messages. When the item doesn't show up, they’ll get in touch. If they don’t reach out, then i would refund them, relist and move on.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

probably has the wrong mailing address on file with ebay. you will hear from him im sure . most people dont  leave money on the table. heck if you dont  buy yourself something with it

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Good afternoon. I had the same thing, a normal transaction without suspicion, but it came back, before returning I saw a problem with the address. I wrote to the buyer several times, but in response there was silence. Have you returned the money? This may be a scam because the refund will not be transferred to the same card used for payment, but rather through the scammer's PayPal. Now I'm just waiting for their response, but I can't believe it. The address is quite real; While searching, I see a real home.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

We've had this happen before, probably not a scam, just a technologically illiterate buyer who doesn't know you're messaging them.  I've always just refunded their purchase minus the shipping costs and relisted the item.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply