cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's September 2023 - Are you prepping for the Christmas rush? Plans for the next 4-6 weeks?

September, I'm told, is the start of Christmas Prep for sellers, and the start of Bargain Planning for buyers.  I've never really had Christmas gift type items - maybe a few a couple years back - but I still like to hear what plans others have to get ready to go, Go, GO!

My plans?  To not spend more than I have, to not overeat, to plan with the grands every chance I get, and to continue prepping for retirement in 2024 or 2025.  Oh, and to keep adding new inventory to replace the sold, and working to get to 750 units each in two of my accounts so I can rotate the stock monthly.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Re: It's September 2023 - Are you prepping for the Christmas rush? Plans for the next 4-6 weeks?

Actually I have been thinking that I need to get halloween stuff up.

Message 16 of 59
latest reply

Re: It's September 2023 - Are you prepping for the Christmas rush? Plans for the next 4-6 weeks?

@sumsum70 wrote:

By the time December 25th rolls around, eBay may look like this if they don't make things right:

error404.jpg

It's time for ebay's top management to  begin & earn their pay & bonus

Message 17 of 59
latest reply

Typically, we would be out buying up items for resale.

Not this year. Sales are iffy (and we're tired, lol). I expect holiday sales will be much better but instead of buying more, we'll work on getting up the hundreds of items we have hidden behind all the boxes in the garage. We'll also be reworking our prices and titles. And given all the increased costs to us (mailing, shipping supplies, ebay bribes) we'll probably be dropping most of our lower prices items. (our current cut off is about $15 so we might kick that up to $19 or so).

Next year should be much better after all the 1099s go out. Sellers will be dropping this place like rocks in a pond. 

Message 18 of 59
latest reply

I don't see why.

My grandpa used to say if you're not paying taxes it's because you're either not making any money or you're ploughing all your profits back into the business.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 19 of 59
latest reply

I sell (or at least try to sell) Christmas ornaments all year. My goal for this year was to have 1,500 ornaments listed by September 1 and I have exceeded that...So, I say bring on the holiday buyers 🎄 I am ready!

Message 20 of 59
latest reply

Your grandpa was wrong. The other reason is that these people should have been paying taxes but kept yearly sales under the old 1099 amount of $20,000. Now it's dropped to $600.

You must not have seen the hundreds of posts from furious sellers who left when the info first got out. Cash sales at hobby shows are way down because people don't want that 1099. Sellers on social network sites are privately offering really low prices if paying by cash or check.

Then consider that most sellers still don't know about the change in the 1099 rule. Those shocked sellers when they get that 1099 will flood these boards! We're looking more forward to this in 2024 than the election!

(and, btw, we've been getting 1099s for our on-line sales for over a dozen years so it's no surprise to us).

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

I don't see why.

My grandpa used to say if you're not paying taxes it's because you're either not making any money or you're ploughing all your profits back into the business.

Message 21 of 59
latest reply

Well, if that's the case, maybe people local to me will stop putting everything online (since every online platform is covered with the marketplace taxation rules) and yard sales will stop being full of junk. Right now it's useless going to any of them because people have been listing anything good online for decades (I live in the Silicon Swamp), so all that's left is children's toys, ratty clothing and tons and tons of knickknacks and bric-a-brac which no one wants.

ETA: Sometimes there are tools, though.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 22 of 59
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

It is not even labor day yet. I doubt there will be people scrambling Ebay to buy Christmas gifts. In fact I doubt many will not even shop for Christmas gifts on Ebay.  Christmas décor maybe. 

September is when people start planning - who all will they be buying gifts for, or how much cash to tuck in their card.  October is when the shopping starts - there's plenty of time so less stress.  November is when the stress creeps in... better hurry or the stores will empty and the online deliveries won't arrive in time.  December is for panic buying, or just deciding to send everyone cash and be done with it.

These are rather broad ranges, true, but it's easier to think/plan month-by-month rather than week by week.  At least it is for me,

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 23 of 59
latest reply

It's not close to Easter either, but that's what I've been selling lately.

Now THAT is planning ahead!

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 24 of 59
latest reply

@iart wrote:

Next year should be much better after all the 1099s go out. Sellers will be dropping this place like rocks in a pond. 

Unfortunately, I think you may be right.  A lot of folks have never had their own business (online or B&M) or even done retail more than the occasional garage sale.  They think they will have to pay taxes on every penny they make.   Or they come to discussion boards like this one wondering what they did wrong.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 25 of 59
latest reply

I don't think he was wrong. He was talking about folks actually running a business not evading taxes.

Of course he passed before the internet was a thing so he may have changed his views then.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 26 of 59
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Well, if that's the case, maybe people local to me will stop putting everything online (since every online platform is covered with the marketplace taxation rules) and yard sales will stop being full of junk. Right now it's useless going to any of them because people have been listing anything good online for decades (I live in the Silicon Swamp), so all that's left is children's toys, ratty clothing and tons and tons of knickknacks and bric-a-brac which no one wants.

When people stop selling online, they will drop more stuff off with Goodwill, who will then sell it online.  So instead of spreadding that money around, it will all begin to concentrate in those sellers big enough to know how to lower their taxes and keep their records.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 27 of 59
latest reply

I don't think he was wrong. He was talking about folks actually running a business not evading taxes.

Of course he passed before the internet was a thing so he may have changed his views then.

I was always curious about this question -- why do I have to report every penny I earn to the IRS.  So when I was audited for the 2005 tax year, the first year in a long time that I had been fully self-employed, I asked the auditor.

Reporting is required by law - that's something you need to talk to your congressperson about.  They write the laws, not the IRS.  And the reason you don't see the IRS busting down the doors of everyone who's ever had a yard sale is simple -- #1 they don't generally bust down your doors, and #2 the expense of tracking down and hauling in everyone who has a yard sale would cost many times more in salaries alone than the IRS would ever hope to glean from the sale proceeds.  So they prefer to go after the big cheats, where the odds are better they will find "oversights" and generate more taxes than costs.

I also asked why I was being audited - she said that while she didn't have any concrete information, nothing in my paperwork to indicate why, that it was likely because I was fully self employed and was making quite a nice gross income but a very small net.  They wanted to be sure my records were in order and I was reporting everything properly.  Out comes the receipt box and the spreadsheets that back up the number on my filing form.  I had missed a couple small receipts and ended up writing them a check to settle the bill.  My CPA paid for his services that day -- I'm not a good record-keeper, so his suggestions on how and his recommendations on why were of great value.

Do you know why the Feds decided to go after the venues instead of the individual sellers?  That same yard sale cost vs income ratio -- it's easier to work with one entity representing 3 million folks that to work with those 3 million folks directly.  Same for the States - they wanted their cut of the sales tax that should be collected from buyers and remitted by sellers.  Much easier to work with one than with the many.

So why did the Feds lower their limits from $20K AND 200 transactions to $600?  I think it was because the 20K/200 limit didn't net them as much as they thought -- a lot of sellers by that point were already reporting their income.  So they lowered their limit to match the most common figure used by the States.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 28 of 59
latest reply

@rosachs wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

When people stop selling online, they will drop more stuff off with Goodwill, who will then sell it online.  So instead of spreadding that money around, it will all begin to concentrate in those sellers big enough to know how to lower their taxes and keep their records.

-Bob.

I think they'll still add it to their yard sale - chances are it will net more selling it than any donation deductible, *if* they qualify for itemized deductible at all.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 29 of 59
latest reply

Happy Labor Day everyone!  My direction has changed.  Saving for a bus trip for next fall plus have plumbing issues that need to be fixed so trying to make some extra dollars.  I have purchased a few lots from an online auction venue.  For me it is easier than going to yard sales (I use a walker).  I also bought a set of dishes from a person on Marketplace a couple of weeks ago.  Already sold half of it.  Will make a good profit.  The theme is fall so that is what I am focusing on right now along with Christmas.  Starting to sell the fall items now.  Will stop buying until I get caught up on listing, (unless I see a bargain).  My other goal is to try and list higher priced items.

I have also started to send best offers at the end of the month.  Last month I ended the month up in sales doing that.  So will use it as a strategy to boost sales.  

I continue to look for items that are easy to pack and ship, but I still continue to sell dinnerware and glassware.  

Clay-glad to see you posting.  Hope you are doing well.  

Thanks for starting this thread Bob - always enjoy reading everyone's replies.

Message 30 of 59
latest reply