cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with sold item to Mexican buyer, wrong scans in delivery tracking, please help.

Hello friends.  I really need you help here.  Back in March, March 19 one of my items got sold to a buyer in Mexico.  It was relatively expensive item for me and really nice.  Honestly I wish I just kept it for myself.  From what I remember - something was not working for me that day with ebay international shipping, it literally would not let me to select it, so I had to use regular usps first class international shipping option.  

The buyer contacted me today saying she did not receive the item and that she is seeing really strange scans in tracking history.  This is the tracking number - UA935133758US.  If you look at the tracking history on usps site - you will see that the item was delivered to some point in US on February 10.  How can it possible be if the item was sold on March 19th??   That all makes no sense.

Looking at the very long tracking history of the package on Ebay - it starts properly with March 21 and then has long list of scans for February, starting with February 2nd, and then on February 10th as - DELIVERED FRONT DESK/RECEPTION/MAIL ROOM SPRINGFIELD, MO 65803

After February 10 - there are proper scans for March and then it shows the last scan as March 25 and "DELIVERED TO POSTAL AGENT Mexico City, MX".  But the blue delivery history bar still shows that it was delivered on February 10.

I am really lost here, not sure if I got played somehow, or usps went crazy on me?  

Anybody had similar issues? What should I do?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Issue with sold item to Mexican buyer, wrong scans in delivery tracking, please help.

Wonder if it was a reused tracking number by USPS?

Are you saying you bought the postage at the USPS counter?  Have you spoken with USPS?  Opened a parcel inquiry?  Would go to your post office live tomorrow and inquire/open inquiry, etc.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I printed that label on line, generated by ebay system.  

I did not talk to usps yet, as I am on vacation and away from home. But all usps.com has is scans for February, there is nothing for my actual March scans at all.  I do not see what else they can tell me...

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I would go to post office give them tracking# and ask them what is going on.   Occasionally, USPS will screw up and things go awry.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

The USPS site shows delivery on Feb 10 and nothing afterward about Mexico. 

I cannot see how someone could "play" you. 

Are you sure you have the correct tracking number? 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

eugefunk_0-1648997489046.png

eugefunk_1-1648997552580.png

yes I do have correct tracking number, see above for details.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

When did your buyer let you know they did not receive it?

BEFORE or AFTER it showed "delivered" to Mexico?

Did you speak to the buyer after it showed "delivered" to Mexico?

My bet is that it was delivered/received and you're worrying for nothing. 

In any case, should the buyer file a INR (item not received) case against you, 

because it shows "delivered", you should win. 

Good luck!

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Unfortunately this is a recurring problem when shipping to Mexico. We had good sales and no problems shipping to Mexico up until about one year ago. Then we started to get INR complaints and all tracking ending at the "DELIVERED TO POSTAL AGENT Mexico City, MX". Since it never moved from there we knew eBay would not support us if we disputed it. And none of our packages were ever returned because of a delivery problem. I do be leave that the Buyers know what is happening and use it to their advantage. The only way we will ship to Mexico now is if UPS is used with signature delivery. It would be nice if eBay would back the Seller once the package is scanned when it arrives at the destination country instead of when it gets delivered. As the Postal Services in other countries are not always the speediest to get packages delivered.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

the buyer contacted me yesterday, April 2nd.  

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

The USPS DOES re-use tracking numbers, so that is likely what you're seeing prior to your ship date.  I would file an online missing mail search, but also take it to your PO & see if you can get someone to dig in further.  I suspect it's a re-used tracking number that is confusing the issue.   They are not supposed to re-use them for a long time, something like 6 mos or a year. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Couple of questions

1.  Was the Address Provided by the Buyer a USA Address OR a Mexican Address?  

If buyer provided a USA Address.  He/she is using a Drop Shipper.  In which case, you are covered by eBay.

2.  Did you use eBay Global Shipping Program (GSP), or did you shipped directly to buyer?

If you used GSP, there is Insurance that buyer paid when he/she bought item.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Thank you for your questions 

the buyers address was in Mexico

ebay international shipping option was not letting me to select it when I was trying to purchase a label so I had to select international first class mail and purchased the label directly on eBay system. So I guess that means I mailed it directly to the buyer 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

That tracking number shows a package that originated outside the United State and delivered here.  

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

MX is a red flag country in our experience after 40 yrs of mail order and 25 on eBay. GSP will not ship to MX.  Even with the USPS there are many services not offered.   It has gotten worse over the years. Same with mainland China, most of Eastern Europe etc.  Ship to South America and MX etc with extreme caution.   Take a clue from GSP and the countries they will not ship to. You may not use them, they know much more about the current situation than we do. Beware of  of the most popular scams, ie.  Item not recieved, where as the buyer does not pick the item at customs or refuses the pkg, files  report, gets a refund and them goes and gets the item sitting at customs on hold.  Many new sellers get caught in this scam. It is an off-shoot of the similar scam in the domestic market. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

The buyer opened the case for INR, I uploaded the tracking info showing it was delivered to Mexico, she escalated the case, ebay took her site, I lost all the money and got a defect.  Somebody somewhere in Mexico is riding a bike and my gorgeous scarf looks so good flowing in the wind...

moral of the story - do not sell to Mexico.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply