cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with buyer wanting seller to pay for guitar repairs

I sold a guitar on eBay for about $2,000 and shipped it from Virginia to Washington state.  It arrived safely in the condition I shipped it in.  Right away the buyer was asking if it had been stored outside of its case because it had dust on it.  He said right away that it would probably cost him $200 to get the guitar set up.  

A couple of days passes and he comes back saying that the frets need to be leveled on a pleking machine and that is going to cost $650 plus tax to do that.  I asked if he wanted an adjustment, and he came back asking for a $1,000 adjustment to the price of the guitar for the work he said it needed done and wanted the additional money (difference between 1,000 and 650 for shipping and his time.

It was at this point that I offered him a full refund or $300 back and he refused to return the guitar or accept a $300 adjustment.

What can I do?  What will eBay likely do?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

He can return it for a full refund.  You have to issue a paid return label.   If  you can still issue the label, I would do so.  Your only charged for it if it's used.  eBay will not require you do discount the price only refund if it's returned.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

1.) Do not EVER give a 'partial refund' for anything.

2.) you opted to 'don't take returns' so I would do NO MORE communicating to the buyer until they open an official 'return' which must be for a 'Not as Described' reason to FORCE you to take it back; for many other reasons (you'll know it when you see it) you can 'opt' to NOT accept. 

If you feel you need to respond, I would say:

"it's an 13 yr old guitar as stated, I mentioned the leveling and what I did about it in the listing, but if you want some 'additional' work done, that is your choice, I'm not paying for it. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Apologize and tell him return for a refund. If he contacts you again, rinse and repeat.

If you get it back, take it in and get it evaluated.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

What will Ebay do?

Depends on if the buyer files an INAD.

If they do and you want it returned before refunding, you'll have to accept the return and pay return shipping.

If they just want a partial refund, that'll be between you and the buyer.

Have a great day.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

It sounds like he is trying to fishing for a refund and he wants to keep the guitar.

Is he communicating with you through ebay messaging?  If so, wait until he contacts you again.  Then you should  tell him he should open a return through ebay.  Then authorize the return and ebay should send him a prepaid label.  Do not give him any type of refund until the guitar is returned to you.   No more communication with the buyer.    You do not need to give him any partial refund .   He may try to use the INAD - Item not as described excuse, but please stick to your guns.  As long as you authorize the return when you receive the message from Ebay, it will be ok.   If you do not authorize the return, Ebay will step in and refund him and he will get to keep the guitar.  

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Consider yourself lucky that he refused your partial refund because you'd probably just be throwing your $300 away and asking for more trouble.  You should never offer a partial refund, just a full refund upon getting your guitar back, as the other posters suggested to you.  If you do get the guitar back, forget about the pitfalls of listing it here if it's really worth 2K, more or less.  Instead, consign it to reputable auction house that mainly sells expensive items, but make sure it's one that offers online bidding so it gets nationwide exposure.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

1.) Do not EVER give a 'partial refund' for anything.

2.) you opted to 'don't take returns' so I would do NO MORE communicating to the buyer until they open an official 'return' which must be for a 'Not as Described' reason to FORCE you to take it back; for many other reasons (you'll know it when you see it) you can 'opt' to NOT accept. 

If you feel you need to respond, I would say:

"it's an 13 yr old guitar as stated, I mentioned the levelling and what I did about it in the listing, but if you want some 'additional' work done, that is your choice, if you are not happy to pay for that additional work, please open a return case and I will give a FULL refund once the guitar is in my possession.

I tweaked it a little bit, while I agree with your statement, lets don't push this to a chargeback issue LOL

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Do a return eBay Shipping Label to get item returned ASAP. I wouldn't even answer any buyer's emails.

If buyer doesn't return it with label....which I assume he or she may not..shipping label won't be charged to you. There is chance buyer might "ghost you" with not returning it to you. And you win.

Unless they do that darn credit card dispute.

You don't "take returns"...so buyer might be trying for a full refund and keep the item.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Don't do anything.  You gave him two fair choices.  I would have only given him the return/refund option.  Dont ever do partial refunds.  Its what scammers hope for.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Everyone who buys a guitar knows it may have to be set up for their playing needs. Everything he is asking money for are things he needs to pay for, not you. Don't give him any money. Tell him to return it for a full refund. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Partial refunds are a buyer scamming you. They either want it as is, or they can return it for a refund. 

This guy is beating you down because he wants the guitar for less then he paid. Never respond with offering a partial refund. Either they want is as is or they don't. It's either keep it at the price you paid, or send it back and someone else will buy it. 

Add this clown to your blocked bidder list. Don't give him opportunity number two to yank your chain. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply