cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Isn't eBay offering anymore FREE listing promotions?

I haven't received a free listing promoton from eBay all month.  Usually they offer 1000 to 2000 free listings. Does anyone know what's going on?

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

I didn't get that offer... I wish I did! I have about 900 items that sell for 2$ or less and it doesn't make sense for me to pay 30 cents to list them... everyone loses without the free listing offerings.
Message 61 of 89
latest reply

There was a 1000 free listing promo recently. I got it on my white envelope account (I didn't need it since I rarely use that account) but not on my store account. No big deal, really. Just keep any excess items lined up in TL  or Auctiva or whatever--notepad in html if need be.

It doesn't bother me if I get freebies or not. Yes, I certainly do take advantage of them when I get them, but I don't cry if I don't. My business plan doesn't depend on freebies or TRS discounts. If I get them, fantastic. If I don't, it doesn't matter because the cost is already covered in my operating expenses. You can't run a business--even a small or hobby one--by depending on freebies. That's a surefire way to failure IMO.

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016
Message 62 of 89
latest reply

@driveinboi wrote:
I didn't get that offer... I wish I did! I have about 900 items that sell for 2$ or less and it doesn't make sense for me to pay 30 cents to list them... everyone loses without the free listing offerings.

Don't take this the wrong way but I would love nothing more than to be able to give away free unused listings rather than have them not be used.  I just simply don't have that many things to list ... I think I may have used right around 75 of the 1000 ... I would actually prefer a Promo that would give me 100 Free listing per month and allow those to be relisted as many times as I want (I prefer Auction style NOT 30 FP) ... I would simply put them up on 7 day auctions and repeat it every Sunday of the month ... so if after week ! I sell 10 items then I would left with 90 for the next week ... and if 15 of those sold then i would be down to 75 and so on until they run out for that month.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 63 of 89
latest reply

@driveinboi wrote:

I think eBay is making a big mistake by not giving the 1000 free listings recently. I hope they offer it soon. I have abvout 900 unlisted items that will go over the 60 day unsold mark soon. I mostly sell matchbook covers at 1.69 - 1.99 each. A 30 cent listing fee would just not work here as I sell the matchbook covers but can't make any profit off them if I pay a 30 cent fee. I DO sell the matchbook covers consistantly however sometimes I must re-list them all over several months before the right person buys it... I would cost me 270$ a month to re-list these matchbook covers and I would probably sell less than 100 dollars of them per month. Maybe I should go elsewhere and try to sell them if eBay decides not to offer free listings. I'm very frustrated with the selling situations on eBay right now. it only makes sense to sell more expensive items. If I sold 40 dollars of matchbook covers a month, eBay got something for me selling them. Now that i'm not listing them, eBay gets NOTHING. How is this good business? Ebay is letting the door open for other auction sites to pick up the slack. I'm even noticing less things that I collect being listed on eBay by other sellers are not being listed because of these new policies. it makes  more sense for my listings to expire despite all the work I put into them than pay 270$ a month to relist everything. Everyone loses without the free listing offers. Wake up eBay!

Yes, I looked at your listings and noticed there were less than what about 30 active today?  ... about the only thing I might suggest is trying to find a few higher dollar items to sell ... while you do great with the matchbook covers they are a low dollar seller so to your point, "cost to list" exceeds "profit to sell".   Not sure where you live but you could google estateauctions.org which would help lead you to local online estate auctions.  You might see some things on those that you can research on eBay and other online sites to get a feel for what they are selling for then deterime the most you would pay and then try to win some of those.  And a lot of those items are NOT junk, believe me.  Again, you would be looking for items you can sell between $ 50.00 and $ 100.00 and have maybe 5 or more of those per month.  Just one of those would give you some extra $$ for the other part of your business.  Something to think about ... it takes you just as long to photgraph, create a listing, sell, pack and ship a $ 2.00 item as it does say a $ 50.00 item ... well, maybe the $ 50.00 item takes a little longer to pack but the point is YOUR time is certainly worth the higher dollar amount. 

Regards,
Message 64 of 89
latest reply

I guess we were depending on the freebies- after cranking out a bunch of entries when we were getting those free listings, it just bothers us a bit that we would have to spend over $200 to relist all of them as 30 day buy it now listings. We are just scaling back our buying until we can move what we have on hand. It's our retirement hobby , not our income/business, so I am sorry of I came across as whining about this situation 🙂
Message 65 of 89
latest reply

Why don't you just pay to list? Why do you feel you're entittle to anything for free? It is costing someone somewhere for your free listings.

Message 66 of 89
latest reply

@no-plain-white-envelopes wrote:

Why don't you just pay to list? Why do you feel you're entittle to anything for free? It is costing someone somewhere for your free listings.

Yeah, your right- it is costing eBay because I am listing far less than what he ahd for the last 8 months because they had been providing us (and manyother sellers) with so many free offers, then just cut us off . 

This isn't a zero sum game- if they offer us 1000 free listings they aren't taking 1000 away from you (or someone else). 

And we have been paying for our listings . $15.95 a month for our basic store, and we have also paid for about 30 more listings the past two months once our 300 from the store ran out.

We don't feel "entitled' to anything- the free offers are obviously part of eBay's marketing strategy to get people to sell, pay for a store, then pay for a bigger store (which we declinded at the time they offered it at a $5 a month discount). We are doing quite well with our 300 per month- we could be making oursleves and Ebay a lot more if we could list our unsold items without paying another fee to put them back up again. Until that happens, we will just pay for a few over our store allotment, and wait for the next free offer.

Ebay gets around $200 a month from us in commisions. Add that to the store subscription fees and the extra listings we are paying for, and we aren't getting anything for free. 

Happy selling to you!

Message 67 of 89
latest reply

I wish I knew  I used  to get  those offers..all the time  not any more!

Message 68 of 89
latest reply

Lol, terrible reply. As if eBay doesn't get enough money out of our pockets already.spoken like a guy that works for eBay and not a seller.SMH

Message 69 of 89
latest reply

As I've said before, given the increase in free (not really) store listing insertions I doubt they're going to be handing out too many free listing promos to those who don't wish to pay to play.

Just my opinion of course.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 70 of 89
latest reply

While your point may be valid concerning those opting for the 50 free listings per month. I am a pay to play store, and they are not giving a thing away. What I have noticed is more and more glitches in eBay.com. 

Message 71 of 89
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
As I've said before, given the increase in free (not really) store listing insertions I doubt they're going to be handing out too many free listing promos to those who don't wish to pay to play.

Just my opinion of course.

I opened a Store May 1 and got a Promo for 100 Free Auction Style listings mid-June.  My wife is on the 50 per month entry level and just got the 500 listing Promo for a penny each.

Regards,
Message 72 of 89
latest reply

When I had a basic store I got tons of free listings each month. I opened a premium store and freebies ended. I actually pay more now and get less free listings than when I had the basic store. Basic store $19.95 with 250 free listings & 1000-2000 free extra listings offers from Ebay each month. Premium store $59.95 with 1000 free listings and no extra free listing offers. I call BULL**bleep**!

Message 73 of 89
latest reply

@ikolekt2, @classic-diecast, @perpetualpieces, @clarkkant13

Wow, this is an old thread, just celebrated its one year anniversary over the weekend.  However, it again is relevant.  We have three accounts here, one store and two on the Everday Rate plan.  While the published distribution process for Promotions is stated to be "random" there has to be some kind of an algorithm the places Everday Rate plan members higher on the list than stores.  The two accounts here on the Everday rate plan have gotten promos more often (by a lot) than the account with the store.  I understand the psychology, once an account has several hundred listings up BUT only 50 freebies per month they get stuck after the promo listings run out ... lots to sell but forced to pay listing fees if they want everything put back up live to sell again OR forced to consider opening a store OR forced to do some creeative rotation of listings so older ones don't drop off the Unsold file.  I veiw this as "targeted" promo distribution opposed to "random".

Regards,
Message 74 of 89
latest reply

Hello again mr_lincoln! 

I've noticed the same pattern with the free listings offers since we opted to upgrade to a 1,000 BIN listings store (whatever they call it-Premium?). No free listings offers worth taking since November again ( sorry, but a offer that only includes guitars or something like that isn't worth even activating!). Maybe its their policy to keep storekeepers at around that 1,000 listings per month, and to tempt newbies with huge free istings offers to get them to make more listings, only to get stuck in the "should I pay to relist them or let them go away?" conundrum. We are able to rotate our slow moving items by letting them sit unlisted for up to 90 days before putting them back on. It does keep us from paying for many listings outside of our store allotment (mainly for auctions that don't qulify for free store auction listing), but it also reduces how many new items we offer each month. We still think its an odd business decision to short the folks who already pay you more upfront and have good sales vs. those who pay less for their store (or nothing at all). 

Can't wait for the summer update when they add more hoops for us sellers to clear to qualify for "Top Rated" status!

Message 75 of 89
latest reply