cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is tracking necessary?

I began selling through my current account in the Fall of 2013, to liquidate items I was unable to sell in my store; the overwhelming majority have been DVDs. At that time, I was able to price down to $3.99, still cover all my costs and receive my initial investment. Currently, due to postal, e-Bay and toner increases, it takes $5.99 to accomplish the same result.

Recently, it was suggested I forego tracking and purchase a 99 cent non-machinable stamp. That would permit  me to, once again, sell at $3.99; which would definitely increase my sales. I checked with the local Post Office and learned that was permissible on their end. Next, I read many e-Bay tracking rules, but  am not clear as to their position. Please assist.

An added note: I am 80 and do not factor my time.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Is tracking necessary?

If you don't have tracking# customers can claim they "did not receive" item and you will be forced to give them a refund.   Its up to you if you want to take that risk.

Also bear in mind, selling items at $3.99 you won't make money either.    EBAY fees based on (purchase price + shipping + sales tax) plus 30 cent handling charge.

Also your Seller Rating could be affected because you don't upload tracking# (EBAY monitors that).

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Is tracking necessary?

Ebay wants sellers to use shipping methods with tracking. Ebay uses tracking uploads as a seller metric. Plus, a tracking number gives you a bit of ebay protection for any orders that could be deemed as item not received by the buyers. 

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Is tracking necessary?

eBay doesn't require tracking for anything other than (1) protection against "not received" claims; and (2) Top Rated Seller status.    Without tracking, you might get some fake 'Item not received" claims, but it's up to you to decide whether it's cost-effective to take that risk. Many sellers of lower value items (cards, stickers, etc.) do quite well shipping their items as letters, without tracking.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Is tracking necessary?

Because I am in Canada, I track very little, mostly using Letter rates, even for US and overseas shipping.

Tracking through Canada Post starts at $12 and that is only for domestic /regional. Domestic/national is higher.

On low value items (based on my purchase costs) I don't bother.

On bulky items I have to use Parcel rates, so those are tracked.

I agree with @caldreamer  that if you are faced with a Not Received Claim on an untracked shipment, you might as well just refund because you cannot win.

But OTOH, you saved a lot of money* shipping without tracking dozens of other items.

I also agree that at $3.99 or even $5.99 you may be clearing space, but you are not making any money. In addition to your actual costs, you should be paying yourself at least minimum wage, which here is 25c a minute.

Where I disagree is on Seller Rating. Although I don't use tracking often, I hold Top Rated Seller status, albeit as a Global seller, which does have some differences. For example, my badge only shows on my pages outside of the USA.

But I still get the other perks, like a lower FVF.

Side note, you can't buy LetterRate labels online, but you can buy discounted mint postage on eBay. Avoid the Forever booklet offers, most of those appear to be counterfeits, but many stamp dealers do have genuine stamps from philatelic estates in huge quantities which make your packages look more interesting. Some chain stores also sell genuine stamps at reasonable discounts.

*That $12 tracking on a 50gr item going within my own province would cost me $1.30 to ship without tracking.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Is tracking necessary?

You get protection using tracking if you use stamps you will need to be okay with scammers saying they never got the dvd. You have to refund them no matter what if they claim ind. Do that to many times it hurts your metrics.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Is tracking necessary?

it takes $5.99 to accomplish the same result.

What is the result you come up with? At $5.99 with Free Shipping you would be netting less than 30 cents, surely you can find somebody local that would take them all off your hands as a single lot for 50 cents/piece.

How about listing them on eBay in lots of 25 assorted for $29.99 free shipping, you would make about 85 cent/piece.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Is tracking necessary?

I did the $5 DVD and CD thing (with free shipping) back when that was feasible. It's not anymore. Besides shipping costs going through the roof, the simple fact is that those items are long obsolete. Unless they are rare or collectible they're just a hard sell. There are just too many of them out there. I'd definitely divide them into lots by genre and sell them in bulk. Good luck~

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Is tracking necessary?

If you get a lot of items not deliver cases.  You run the risk of getting below standard and eventually getting your account suspended.  Just to save couple of dollars.  You need to really think things thru. 

Good luck on your selling journey.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Is tracking necessary?

A lot of people fear shipping without tracking because they think there are thousands of scoundrels out there buying $4 DVDs and rolling the dice that the seller will ship without tracking so they can file INR & get their $4 back and keep their Caddy Shack DVD as well.  I'm not one of them.

A few years back, before Ebay Standard Envelope (tracking), I had a few hundred non-sports cards from the 70's (a few 60's & 80's too) I wanted to get rid of. I had another eBay selling account sitting more or less dormant at the time, so I decided to do what you propose and blow them out for 5 bucks each, so-called "free shipping" and send with a 1st class stamp. In about a years' time I sold 90% of them without a single INR or Return. 

IMO, if I wanted to do (I don't) what you propose, I wouldn't let the tracking stop me. I see that you sussed out the economics of the plan so you know what the money situation is, you don't need any advice on the money end.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Is tracking necessary?

I thought DVDs ship as Media Mail, which includes tracking?   

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Is tracking necessary?

@deltilogical wrote:

I thought DVDs ship as Media Mail, which includes tracking?   

He's talking about a cheaper method, with a non-machinable 1st class stamp. No tracking.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Is tracking necessary?

Media Mail is a minimum $3.49 now.

Even that low road takes it out of the mix for singles.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Is tracking necessary?

There are other platforms where media mail starts at $2-something.

The OP is talking about non-machinable 1st class stamp. not sure how the DVDs work with that, but the OP seems to have researched that end of it.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Is tracking necessary?

The best thing you can do with a bunch of DVDs is just to put them into massive lots and unload them that way. Either on ebay or locally. Non-machinable only works if they aren't in the cases. 

And most titles are now unsellable on ebay because the prices have fallen below what it costs to sell and ship them, as you are competing with Charity media sellers who only pay 2 percent ebay fees and pay about $1 less for media mail due to commercial presort rates.

DVDs as a class simply no longer have any value. They are 25 cents at my local thrift store.  And I took all of mine out of my store a few months ago after examining this market and determining that the average price has slid to the point where throwing them in the trash has a better return than trying to sell them.  

And they get a little bit worse every single month. You can examine terapeak data and see that the average DVD price slides a couple pennies every month, which is a huge deal when they are already being sold with only pennies left over after expenses. 

Message 15 of 22
latest reply