cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to do %includes to bring in chunks of text into listings?

When I write website pages, I used php's include to bring in my header and footer. That way if I change them, it's in one place.

Is there any way to do that with ebay listings? For instance, I have generic standards for my listings, same for all my listings, that I'd like to bring in.

What is here for this? What do you use if anything?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Is there a way to do %includes to bring in chunks of text into listings?

It would be nice if smaller sellers were allowed to do custom HTML layouts, but I think the whole "active content disabled" thing prevents that now.  Not sure how the bigger retailers get away with it though.  Granted they get lots of special privileges and treatment.  I believe this eBay link lays out what we are allowed to use regarding HTML:

https://pages.ebay.com/eg/en-us/sell/itemdescription/bestpractices.html

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@cheri--b wrote:

When I write website pages, I used php's include to bring in my header and footer. That way if I change them, it's in one place.

Think about this for a minute, from eBay's perspective and from the buyer's perspective. 

A seller could have an "include" that says a ring is "solid 24k gold", and then change the "include" after the sale to say it is just "gold plated" or even just "gold colored". 

eBay is never going to provide a loophole that allows a seller to store part of a listing description on a site that is outside Bay's control, and for which eBay has no record of what it contained or when it was changed. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Custom layouts are a waste of time. 50% or more of all shoppers use mobile devices now
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

That means 50% of shoppers aren't using mobile. This isn't about custom layouts. It's that some stuff is the same words in every listing since they are very similar products, so it'd be helpful.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Good point. I've thought ebay should allow include chunks. That way they aren't outside of ebay's control. I'd be delighted to put the chunks into ebay. I'm just frustrated when I think of a better phrase or word or see an error, and have to change it 20 times.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply