cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a mathematician in the house?

Customer bought a brand new OEM ignition coil in a factory sealed package from me, installed it on his machine, and the darn thing still wont start. "The coil must be defective". 

Defective coil = Percentage?

Mis-diagnosis = Percentage?

Of course I accepted  his return, no questions asked.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Is there a mathematician in the house?

In my limited experience fixing my own cars, I've learned that new in box does not mean anything for manufactured semi-disposable products.  I think the manufacturers also package their defects and sell them on also.

Had enough experiences at advance auto with faulty new stuff that perhaps I'd be more inclined to believe it.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Re: Is there a mathematician in the house?

@retrogames10000 wrote:

In my limited experience fixing my own cars, I've learned that new in box does not mean anything for manufactured semi-disposable products.  I think the manufacturers also package their defects and sell them on also.

Had enough experiences at advance auto with faulty new stuff that perhaps I'd be more inclined to believe it.

I agree with that in regards to "modern" parts.  ESPECIALLY those made in China fast and cheap.  But the NOS parts from a bygone era had quality control in place.  The defects were recycled in the factory.  It was rare for a GM part made in Anderson or Detroit to be defective.  Some parts are effected by time but it's mostly to do with the environment in which they were stored.  Obviously parts stored for many years in optimal conditions are going to stand the test of time.  Parts stored in a leaky barn aren't. 

I do inspect parts before they're sent out, if they look like they didn't "stand the test of time" I won't sell them.  They go right into the scrap bin.  I can count on one hand the amount of times a buyer has said the part was actually defective and I've always just refunded them. 

Message 17 of 17
latest reply