cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a market for old Kodak photo paper?

I can't quite figure out which forum is the right one to ask - sorry for asking in this more general one.

I've got some old Kodak photo paper in various sizes - packages and boxes - that one would use if they had their own darkroom. I'm guessing it was purchased new in the 90s or early 2000s. Some is unopened, some has been opened. I have no clue if it ages and goes bad.  Hate to toss it if it's still good and someone with a film photography hobby would be glad to have it.

TIA

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Is there a market for old Kodak photo paper?

I Googled the question and the answers I saw said mostly that it would probably be okay.

If you are going to list here then I would just make it crystal clear in the listing what the expiration dates are if the boxes do show expiration dates. I would mention them in the description AND show the dates in a photo.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Thanks - I saw that there is some listed here, but as we all know that's no guarantee that it's a good idea. I'll try it with plenty of disclaimers and explanations.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

There are artists who specialize in vintage repro photos and they always need film, paper, chemicals, etc.  Ive sold all kinds of cameras - Polaroids, instamatics, etc.  Folks snapped them up.  I was glad. Knowing nothing about photograpy or cameras I was ready to toss them.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

In my opinion your outdated unopened photo paper, will likely not yield great images.

I know of one custom photo lab that would offer price specials in order to quickly use up photo paper near to it's expiration date.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Opened paper might be a hard sell because who knows if it has been exposed to light and it certainly has been exposed to air which can degrade it quicker.

Anything still sealed may or may not be good, a lot depends on where and how it was stored. Stored properly, like in a dark closet with low humidity, it could last for decades. Four factors that can damage photo papers: light, humidity, heat and exposure to chemicals or air pollutants.

It's really just an unknown until someone prints a test and develops it in a darkroom. It could be great or it could get foggy...

I might be reluctant to sell on ebay because of potential issues with returns.

-------------
Posting ID
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I sold about 8 boxes of photo paper here a couple of years ago - some people purchased two boxes and it went pretty quickly.  There's definitely interest in things like that from people who do art photography, special prints, etc.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Never had an issue with paper, film is another story. You should be ok.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

I would be worried about the paper being still viable.  There should be an expiration date on each of the packages labels.  While I've seen photographic paper way out of date still be able to produce an image, there is likely to be some degradation to that image.  Much depends upon the way the product has been stored.

I must admit that I haven't done any photo mechanical printing in decades.  However, you might want to consider salvaging the silver from the product considering the price of silver these days. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

I would expect returns if the expiration date had passed.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@rixstuff wrote:

There are artists who specialize in vintage repro photos and they always need film, paper, chemicals, etc.  Ive sold all kinds of cameras - Polaroids, instamatics, etc.  Folks snapped them up.  I was glad. Knowing nothing about photograpy or cameras I was ready to toss them.

Same here.  I've sold old cameras & film and they all sold fast.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@momfor3 wrote:

I can't quite figure out which forum is the right one to ask - sorry for asking in this more general one.

I've got some old Kodak photo paper in various sizes - packages and boxes - that one would use if they had their own darkroom. I'm guessing it was purchased new in the 90s or early 2000s. Some is unopened, some has been opened. I have no clue if it ages and goes bad.  Hate to toss it if it's still good and someone with a film photography hobby would be glad to have it.

TIA

Yes, there's a good market for vintage light-sensitive photographic paper.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

There is a market for it, especially in larger sizes.

Make it clear in the listing its age and condition.

After it sells, contact the buyer to confirm they are aware of the condition.

Since the paper is heavy, check fixed price shipping boxes to see if the paper will fit in one.

Realize that there is a higher likelihood of return, but people do buy paper that is less than perfect to use for practice or to use for art where they don't need or want a perfect image.

If it's priced appropriately, it will sell.

Unless you are the original owner and are sure that the opened paper has never been exposed to light, I'd worry about returns. 

The problem with selling anything that might not be good for a lower price is it either works or it doesn't and the buyer can return it if it doesn't work. You are almost better off guaranteeing it will work and refunding if it doesn't.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@rpalma wrote:

There is a market for it, especially in larger sizes.

Make it clear in the listing its age and condition.

After it sells, contact the buyer to confirm they are aware of the condition.

Since the paper is heavy, check fixed price shipping boxes to see if the paper will fit in one.

Realize that there is a higher likelihood of return, but people do buy paper that is less than perfect to use for practice or to use for art where they don't need or want a perfect image.

If it's priced appropriately, it will sell.

Unless you are the original owner and are sure that the opened paper has never been exposed to light, I'd worry about returns. 

The problem with selling anything that might not be good for a lower price is it either works or it doesn't and the buyer can return it if it doesn't work. You are almost better off guaranteeing it will work and refunding if it doesn't.

You're better off selling it in a free "for sale" forum on a site dedicated to the practice of traditional photographic processes. I've never had someone who knew what they were buying ask to return it.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@tools* wrote:

You're better off selling it in a free "for sale" forum on a site dedicated to the practice of traditional photographic processes. I've never had someone who knew what they were buying ask to return it.

The OP is in Nebraska and 100 miles from any type of major population center (Kansas City), I doubt your suggestion would get them much exposure to the right buyers.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply