cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the person offering on my items a scammer?

Hi there

I have an old band shirt up for sale that is slowly gaining interest. I initially got an offer of a Martin who lived in Thailand but the delivery address was in Portsmouth. After searching the address it's a storage unit in Portsmouth UK They have a lot of positive feedback but all of the feedback is borderline identical in wording and content. 

I rejected a couple of offers from this account. I now have another account offering on my item, but with no feedback, but the shipping address is the same. Indicating it's the same person buying.

If I record packaging the item and posting the item special delivery, is it possible for me to be scammed?

I'm based in the UK

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

This is the Community forum for U.S. eBay.  The last time I saw a U.K. member's post here where a lot of people tried to help, it ended up doing the OP harm because there were things we didn't know about the differences, and it was specifically involving a shipping problem.  I would strongly advise you post the U.K. one for help from people who won't lead you in the wrong direction accidentally.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Sounds like Martin is an expat in Thailand who uses a US storage unit to keep stuff until it is all shipped tohim at once

This can be cheaper.

EBay gives both buyers and sellers a selection of standard FB responses. No biggie.

Note that the eBay Money Back Guarantee ends 30 days after delivery, and that your responsibility for delivery is only to the US address supplied.

If for some reason he opened a Not As Described Claim, you would be sending the Return Shipping Label to the storage unit address, not to Thailand.

Even if you have No Returns policy*, you are allowed to demand the return of the product before refunding.

You don't need Special Delivery, any tracked service is fine. If the value is over $750 you would need Signature Confirmation of the delivery.

Some sellers will use Signature Confirmation even below the $750 level, as "additional buyer protection". The package would have to be signed for either at the office of the storage facility or at the local post office.

If a package is Undeliverable, the seller is not required to refund anything at all.

I'd ship.

*Which in my opinion is a Bad Idea.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

All a video would prove is you can make a video.

Yes, you could still be scammed.

Have a great day.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

What do you mean by "posting the item special delivery"?  

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

You are over thinking everything because you seem to be a new seller. This is no way to completely avoid a scam, if someone wants to cheat you, they will find a way. Many foreign buyers use a freight forwarding company, that is not unusual. Taking a video proves nothing, you could have edited that afterwards, etc., plus no one is available to watch videos created by sellers. Zero feedback buyers are simply new buyers, not unusual at all and no indication they are cheating you. You wanted to sell your old band shirt and so sell it. Try to remain positive that all will be fine, and your shirt will go to someone who will also appreciate it. Best of luck to you....

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Using royal mails special delivery service

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

The reason I mentioned the second account with no feedback is that it is the same person creating a second account. The name on the account info is the same, the shipping address is the same. I'm just wondering why they have created another account to buy the item after I was skeptical about the authenticity of their first account. 

It just seems like a bit of a red flag for me. 

Also, while I haven't sold much, I've held an eBay account for years and have also had family be on the receiving end of scams. Hence the apprehension 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

This is the Community forum for U.S. eBay.  The last time I saw a U.K. member's post here where a lot of people tried to help, it ended up doing the OP harm because there were things we didn't know about the differences, and it was specifically involving a shipping problem.  I would strongly advise you post the U.K. one for help from people who won't lead you in the wrong direction accidentally.  

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

My apologies! Thank you for pointing that out. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

You bet, and good luck!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply