cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Coronavirus affecting eBay sales in China?

I am wondering if the Coronavirus in China is affecting their eBay sales in that country?

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 1 of 229
latest reply
228 REPLIES 228

iRe: Is the Coronavirus affecting eBay sales in China?

I don't have any stats  but I'd say a resounding   yes . I also suspect that Chinese merchants  on e bay are being swamped  with cancel order requests .  It's bad enough when the Chinese New year  comes this time of year  and billions of people  go on vacation  all at once  .But to get hit with a spreading contagious   new virus  at the same time  is a double whammy . Shipments were already  3 weeks slower than normal  and now with thousands of people sick    their customers  will be lucky to get their orders  in  4 months  or even  longer.  Tulips 

Message 76 of 229
latest reply

At this time USPS is restricting Priority International shipping to China and Hong Kong due to cancellation of airline flights and other restrictions. I'm assuming similar measures by Fedex and UPS for imports and exports.
Message 77 of 229
latest reply

Tulips, people in other countries want US $$$ to 'fight' their pollution (like the French accord.)

The problem is those $$$ disappear in many countries without a trace (think Solyent, the Chinese solar panel maker who went bankrupt within 10 days of receiving $700M US$$$.)  Where did that money go?  Did we ever see any solar panels?  Think  Puerto Rico hurricane relief - and Puerto Rico is a US Protectorite.

We are far from perfect but don't think we set out to screw others from the get go.

Message 78 of 229
latest reply

The coronavirus outbreak will no doubt affect eBay sales with China, in both directions.  The Chinese are also big buyers of goods from abroad, and flight cancellations will put a monkey wrench into mail delivery.   Delta, American and United have suspended flights to China and Hong Kong through April - the airlines are the contract mail carriers.  This will have a ripple effect throughout East Asia.  I have sold Chinese stamps to buyers in China and elsewhere, and I am considering putting my selling activities on hold for a while.  A buyer in Taiwan hasn't received a lot I sold him two months ago.  There will also be mail delays within China itself.

Message 79 of 229
latest reply

Tulips, people in other countries want US $$$ to 'fight' their pollution (like the French accord.)

The problem is those $$$ disappear in many countries without a trace (think Solyent, the Chinese solar panel maker who went bankrupt within 10 days of receiving $700M US$$$.)  Where did that money go?  Did we ever see any solar panels?  Think  Puerto Rico hurricane relief - and Puerto Rico is a US Protectorite.

We are far from perfect but don't think we set out to screw others from the get go. patd3283

That's why there's such a ongoing debate in DC about sending  aid to nations  with such a big problem with corruption . The U.S has invested billions of dollars  in such things  only to find the money went to line the pockets of their government officials . There's no doubt this coronavirus  is going to cost American taxpayers  a bundle  in one way or another .  Tulips 

Message 80 of 229
latest reply

According to China the countries who have closed borders to travelers coming from China are "overreacting".

We'll stop "overreacting" when you have this under control.
Message 81 of 229
latest reply

@turquoisetulips wrote:

We are far from perfect but don't think we set out to screw others from the get go. patd3283

That's why there's such a ongoing debate in DC about sending  aid to nations  with such a big problem with corruption . The U.S has invested billions of dollars  in such things  only to find the money went to line the pockets of their government officials . There's no doubt this coronavirus  is going to cost American taxpayers  a bundle  in one way or another .  Tulips 

Indeed they just recently found a warehouse full of supplies that was sent to Puerto Rico after the hurricane a couple years ago when the media was screaming that the Trump admin didn't send any aid. 

Cases of bottled water, camping stoves, blankets, tents, canned food, dry goods, the list goes on.

The real kicker is, the warehouse is adjacent to the government buildings that housed some of the politicians that were making this exact pitch to the media. Not sure how many caught it, as this was only given passing mention on the evening news. 

Message 82 of 229
latest reply

I know it is currently affecting my sales to Hong Kong. I listed some items that normally have a good sell through rate to HK buyers. NADA watchers but no buyers.

Message 83 of 229
latest reply

@pikeview wrote:

The coronavirus outbreak will no doubt affect eBay sales with China, in both directions.  The Chinese are also big buyers of goods from abroad, and flight cancellations will put a monkey wrench into mail delivery.   Delta, American and United have suspended flights to China and Hong Kong through April - the airlines are the contract mail carriers.  This will have a ripple effect throughout East Asia.  I have sold Chinese stamps to buyers in China and elsewhere, and I am considering putting my selling activities on hold for a while.  A buyer in Taiwan hasn't received a lot I sold him two months ago.  There will also be mail delays within China itself.

Yes, and I am looking forward to the day when the Chinese government finally cleans up the areas where these viruses breed ... eventually the lost revenue will hurt their wallet enough that they'll clean things up ... cutting off shipments in and out makes a lot of sense ...

Regards,
Message 84 of 229
latest reply

No because they all sell on EBay 

Message 85 of 229
latest reply

I don't think that will ever happen @mr_lincoln. With the World's population at an already unsustainable level and rising at crazy rates, I think we are going to see more Zoonotic diseases.

People in so many parts of the World live in very close contact with animals, and hygiene is poor. People are still desiring to eat endangered, rare, oddball animals. It's not going to stop, well, it will when all those animals are extinct.

It's the packed closeness of people to animals in poor conditions that let diseases cross species. It doesn't just happen in Asia, it happens in other Countries too. As people overpopulate the World even more, and more and more animals are bred to feed them, well, history will repeat itself.

This isn't just a China thing, it's a World Wide issue that has been around longer than any of us.

Message 86 of 229
latest reply

@ifyouloveit  wrote, " ... People in so many parts of the World live in very close contact with animals, ..."

The difference with China is that they don't just live near the animals that are infected, they eat them.

Flu vaccines protect against the three or four viruses (depending on the vaccine) that research suggests will be most common. For 2019-2020, trivalent (three-component) vaccines are recommended to contain: A/Brisbane/02/2018 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus (updated) A/Kansas/14/2017 (H3N2)-like virus (updated)

The current seasonal flu vaccine protects about 45% of recipients against the circulating strains, according to mid-season estimates of vaccine effectiveness (VE) published today in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC's) Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

The vast majority of Flu Strains come from China ... the vaccine they prepare each year is a "guesstimate" as to which strains will be most prevalent ... they project the vectors from that part of the world every single year ... if you were not aware of this, flu vaccines are about a year behind the reality of the strains that occur ...

Regards,
Message 87 of 229
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@ifyouloveit  wrote, " ... People in so many parts of the World live in very close contact with animals, ..."

The difference with China is that they don't just live near the animals that are infected, they eat them.

I recall studying a case of equine morbillivirus (measles virus) back in college,  it occurred again in Australia 1994,  thats one is based on the measles virus,  interesting read if your curious about related outbreaks. Its typical of canine, seals, horse, cattle.. all things close to home.

Message 88 of 229
latest reply

I've    seen some of the most  disgusting videos  on the eating habits of people  in some other countries . Things that were being consumed were live baby mice dipped in a sauce , live bullfrogs cut in half and put on top of a salad ,  live  baby birds eaten right out of the nest.  And  most everyone knows about the consumption of cats and dogs  killed in the most inhumane cruel methods possible . This coronavirus doesn't surprise me  in the least , in fact  I'm surprised it took  this long.  Tulips

Message 89 of 229
latest reply

The real kicker is, the warehouse is adjacent to the government buildings that housed some of the politicians that were making this exact pitch to the media. Not sure how many caught it, as this was only given passing mention on the evening news.  equidox 

Nothing that exonerates or shines a positive light on the current administration  ever  gets  more than a passing mention  on the mainstream media .  Tulips 

Message 90 of 229
latest reply