cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it compulsory to sell my listing to highest bid?

Should I sell my listing to highest bid,I mean is it compulsory in rules or I can skip it?

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Of course I did.  I stated it EXACTLY the way it was meant.  There "may" be consequences.  From not only shared experiences here, but personal experiences as well, I would NEVER proclaim to a poster you'll be "chopped off at the knees" when a mere "slap on the wrist" may be all that's doled out.  That would be irresponsible.

I don't know what ebay will do, or to what extent they'll take it.  The OP can read up on the consequences more easily than I could explain, stating what they COULD do, or MAY DO.  Nothing set in stone.  Not here.

And it is just that, ADVICE!  OP can proceed as they see fit, based on their own individual needs.  Not all advice posted will come off as palatable or with a herd mentality.  But at least both sides of the page will be presented.

As for me, even as a 19 year vet, I would be most appreciative of ANY, and ALL advice.  I can read policy, I can apply experiences, I can weigh MY best interests vs the risk to my account, just as I do daily.

Message 31 of 49
latest reply

I wonder if there is some sort of glitch in the system that allows you to start at a low price within your limits, then raise the price after the listing is active?

You can have a $100 limit, list at $100 auction-style and bidding goes up to $2K which is allowed.

So I wonder if the system allowed the OP to raise the starting price after the listing went live for similar reasons? One would think the system would block that when it's the new account changing the starting price and not people bidding...

Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 5.14.16 PM.png

Message 32 of 49
latest reply

@megadestroyers wrote:

Of course I did.  I stated it EXACTLY the way it was meant.  There "may" be consequences. 

In a follow up response to another poster, yes you did. In your original reply to the OP, no you did not mention consequences.

Edit to clarify: I think you missed the point I was making that your first response to this thread said the OP could cancel, no obligation, etc, etc but did not state that by taking that route it may jeopardize their account. It was only later when another poster commented on your post that you added of course there may be consequences.

Message 33 of 49
latest reply

"No. If a reserve auction, highest bid might not meet your reserve price. Even in a non-reserve auction, may have cause for not selling (suspicious buyer?). And, even with that, highest bid doesn't always mean payment will be made.

Please. No arm twisting allowed!"

No.  I didn't.  There are no consequences to a high bid in a reserve auction where the reserve price is not met.  Therefore, OP does not have to sell.  Thus, no obligation.  As to a "suspicious buyer", that is open to so much interpretation, what would the specific consequences be?  Last part, high bid does NOT mean payment.  If, by consequences you are referring to a potential non-paying bidder, that was not the intent of the OPs post.  High bidder has yet to become buyer.

It was after my initial post I saw the one item listed, on a new account (could assume ebay new member).  My initial post still holds plenty of water; the $35,000 item listed made my wallet cringe!  Hence, the follow-up ADVICE on canceling, with likely (may) consequences.

Anything else you care to add, or have me explain, please feel free with either.

Message 34 of 49
latest reply

The consequences would be a cancellation defect. Possibly negative feedback also. Surely you know this.

Message 35 of 49
latest reply

"The consequences would be a cancellation defect. Possibly negative feedback also. Surely you know this."

Sure.

Don't you?

Message 36 of 49
latest reply

@amohebbi1 wrote:

Should I sell my listing to highest bid,I mean is it compulsory in rules or I can skip it?

When you list on eBay you agree to sell to the winning bidder if a bidder won the auction. 

As others have pointed out, the highest bid may or may not be a winning bid. 

Message 37 of 49
latest reply

its not because she's not famous , she was one of the best woman artist in Iran but the problem is cause she was citizen of Iran so she couldnt make her name biger in the world when she was alive.

Message 38 of 49
latest reply

@amohebbi1 Thanks for the insight into the artist.

May I ask if you have listing limits on your account? As a new seller one typically starts with strict/low $ limits. How is it that you listed an item for $35k... are the restrictions on new sellers different in your country? Did you start the painting at a much lower price then raise it once the listing was live?

Message 39 of 49
latest reply

honestly about the price I must to say I didn't choose it by myself ,I asked my painting teacher and some galleries they gave me this price as a lowest price and in other hand it doesnt mater who's new and who's not, anything has its value then we cant waste it just because I'm new ,I think the person who knows Art and specialy painting will underestand how valuable this painting is in the first look 🙂

Message 40 of 49
latest reply

Thanks for the reply @amohebbi1. I was not asking about why the painting was priced at $35k. I was asking how the eBay system allowed you to post it at that price.

New eBay sellers typically have limits on their account. They are not allowed to sell an item of high value until their selling limits are raised.

For example, some sellers have a listing limit of no more than 10 items and $100.00

You are a new seller that listed an item at $35,000.00 & there are many sellers that don't have a limit that high.

More information on account limits: http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/sellinglimits.html

Message 41 of 49
latest reply

@amohebbi1

Where did you get this painting from?

Message 42 of 49
latest reply

@amohebbi1 wrote:

honestly about the price I must to say I didn't choose it by myself ,I asked my painting teacher and some galleries they gave me this price as a lowest price and in other hand it doesnt mater who's new and who's not, anything has its value then we cant waste it just because I'm new ,I think the person who knows Art and specialy painting will underestand how valuable this painting is in the first look 🙂

If you relied on others to advise you of the value of the piece, I suppose that the starting bid of $35k could be a reasonable amount for a reserve or, in this case, a starting bid.   However, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm not sure this is a good place to list the item.  But regardless of where you list it, you would be required to sell if the reserve is met.

To be quite frank, I'm unfamiliar with the artist.  So, I imagine, are quite a few other eBay users.  For that reason I would recommend offering the piece at a gallery or auction house that specializes in the sale of fine art simply because they would be in a better position to draw in a more knowledgeable group of qualified bidders/buyers.

Of course, since you already have the listing running, good luck with you auction.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 43 of 49
latest reply

Oh sorry I got it wrong, honestly I don't know I just sent the information they asked such as Id card and so on and then I started to listing without any limit.

Message 44 of 49
latest reply

I inherited it.

Message 45 of 49
latest reply