cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is eBay keeping USPS shipping discounts instead of passing to sellers?

If you’ve been selling online for a while, you know that all major selling sites have worked out a deal with USPS for shipping rates that are lower than the commercial rates. Yet, for some reason, eBay, the 2nd largest online site hasn’t been able to work out a better deal for its sellers. OR HAVE THEY???

I have heard a rumor from a credible source (which was told to them by eBay employees), that eBay HAS negotiated a lower shipping rate but they are pocketing the money instead of passing on that lower rate to sellers. 

If this is true, it is beyond awful on the part of eBay. Truly nefarious and scummy. 

It’s no secret to any of us who have been here for a while that eBay is going downhill VERY rapidly. Revenue is plummeting. Fees keep going up. Search algorithm is beyond broken. 

I just had my worst 2 weeks in sales since I started selling on eBay 12 years ago. I sold two items in ten days. This is wa outside the normal ebb and flow. And in 2018 my sales dropped by 50% when they rolled out the new algorithm. 

I truly believe the terrible management at eBay is destroying this selling platform. It just shows you how desperate they are if they ARE pocketing a shipping discount instead of sharing with sellers in order to drive lower prices and sales and increase competition with Amazon. 

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Thank you, @nobody*s_perfect !

Message 46 of 50
latest reply

I agree. I don't see how they can charge you a fee because ebay thinks you charged too much on shipping.They need to burn their gas taking packages to the post office. If the buyer doesn't agree he doesn't have to buy it or negotiate with buyer  . NOT EBAY!!!!!! 

Message 47 of 50
latest reply

This thread is over a year old.

what shipping fee? As far as I know labels cost the same here as at stamps and other commercial outlets. Less than at the PO.

Message 48 of 50
latest reply

As far as I can see Ebay no longer offers the choice of Free Shipping.  When I shipped before I got some kind of a discount.  Now for an item that weighs 4 oz shipped First Class is much higher shipping than I used to pay.  So, lost my discount and have to pay higher shipping?  Is that right?

Message 49 of 50
latest reply

@vintoncountydealz wrote: ... for an item that weighs 4 oz shipped First Class is much higher shipping than I used to pay. ...

USPS rates go up every year in January.  First Class package rates increased in January 2020 but have not changed since then.  eBay still charges sellers the discounted online USPS "Commercial" rate rather than the regular retail rate.

Message 50 of 50
latest reply