cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect postage ???

Accepted an offer with free shipping.  Weighed item on my home scale, printed out shipping label via eBay.  My scale said 2lbs, 14ozs.

Dropped item off at local PO this AM, and was looking at receipt that I receieved.  Their receipt says 3lbs, 8 ozs.

What's the most likely outcome here???  Buyer gets item, with additional postage due??   Item returned to me??

How would you handle this situation??  

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Incorrect postage ???

Contact buyer tell them you made mistake and they will have to pay xtra postage due also let them know you will refund them once they tell you how much postage they had to pay. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@beerman_1001 wrote:

What's the most likely outcome here???  Buyer gets item, with additional postage due??   Item returned to me??

The USPS has points in its distribution system that automatically checks the weight, dimensions, and packaging.  If there is a problem, you will get a charge from eBay for the additional postage due.  I do not believe USPS charges the customer any longer for underweight Priority Mail items (the manual postage due process is being phased out, or has already been phased out).

Here is more information:  https://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/ship-smart/ebay-shipping-partners/avoid-extra-postage-costs...

@beerman_1001 wrote:

I would do nothing as far as eBay or the buyer ... just wait ... oh, and I would buy a new scale.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I just had this happen and ebay took the required amount from my PP account. The buyer didn't need to pay anything.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@mollyscornerstore wrote:

Contact buyer tell them you made mistake and they will have to pay xtra postage due also let them know you will refund them once they tell you how much postage they had to pay. 

There won’t be postage due. Label was purchased online so if the OP did underpaid and the PO catches it, he will be billed under the automated postage verification system. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@beerman_1001 wrote:

Accepted an offer with free shipping.  Weighed item on my home scale, printed out shipping label via eBay.  My scale said 2lbs, 14ozs.

Dropped item off at local PO this AM, and was looking at receipt that I receieved.  Their receipt says 3lbs, 8 ozs.

Just curious... is it possible the PO just inputted the wrong weight? Is it possible you inputted the wrong weight when you printed the label? Also, is it possible that you did more than 1 label and swapped labels (put the wrong label on the wrong package)?

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

PO scale could be wrong.  It does happen.  Something else could've been on it (a thumb, another package, etc) or it just might need to be recalibrated.

We had a really wonky scale at the PO for several weeks.  It would incrementally increase the wrongness as the package weight increased.  An 8 oz package would be 2-3 oz off, and a 2 lb package would be about 8-9 oz off, but a 5 lb package was over a pound off.   Recalibration was all it needed.  

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Let's hope that the scales used by the new APV system are more accurate than the one at the OP's Post Office.  The difference between those two weights is huge! (2 lb 14 vs 3 lb 8 is 10 ounces)

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

New math rounding error.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply