cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inappropriate Store Shutdown (Sellers BEWARE)

I want to share a very disturbing situation that just occurred to me and warn my fellow sellers:

Some facts

I have been with eBay since 1998, back in the days when we mailed money orders and waited for product.

I have sold about 400 items over that time, nothing exciting, mostly sports cards, but a couple of watches that were 5-10k.

Yesterday I got a messaging saying they have no record of me shipping my items out and they canceled 20 or so open sales, and held my funds, including a payout of about $10k.  Nice interest for them to earn, I guess.

I called eBay, they told me that I don’t have my info in the system for shipping, which is completely false.  They literally sent me an email with false information in it, as to why they shut me down.  I buy all my postage directly on their website, it updates, etc.  I am actually rated a Top Seller.

So I send message after message and apparently the team that did this is “offline”, which means, they are offshore or it’s purely a system that has an algorithm that pulls the plug on people.  I WARN all of you, think about other ways to sell your goods, since they could happen to you.  They also told me that any fees I spent to sell items, i.e. promoted item listings, would NOT be refunded… Again, feels like stealing.  

Oh, and I sold a very small item, $40, and it says it’s on hold for a month to ensure the buyer is satisfied…. Really?  With 100% positive feedback, why ever would that happen?

Something is up with their company and it doesn’t look good.  I am on my way out, this isn’t the way to run a business, especially with the fees they take.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?  What was your resolution and how long did it take?

Sad sad state… 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

What a mess.  Ebay makes decisions without getting the needed info from the seller. Most likely triggered by the Rolex sale. If you had it authenicated, shipped with tracking, signature I can't see the issue. Same with other items. 

Sure seems to be wrong unless I'm missing something.  It's true they treat sellers who are returning to the platform as new sellers. There's just nothing Ebay distrusts more than new sellers. 

I'm sorry this happened to you. 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Thanks Bill!  You’re probably right about the spike in item value sale.  What makes no sense is why shut me down.  It would have made more sense to make sure it authenticated and pay out.  

I hope they make this right today.  

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Certainly looks like something is amiss here.....

This doesn't look like the usual "upload tracking for your items" message....

What does this mean? "...and they canceled 20 or so open sales..."

How did they "cancel" the sales? They are one their way to the customer....right? How can they cancel them?

You are right, this is somewhat concerning....did this start when the Rolex got to the authenticator?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Your point is right on, the reason they provided was incorrect.  They later told me it was because of the sale, however it was on its way to the Authenticator already, sent same day.  I get items authenticated all the time, no issues at all.  

I literally had items ending in a matter of hours they canceled.  Do you think those customers will be back?  NOPE 👎 

So even more money taken from me.  The next step is lawyering up, which is in process.  This isn’t a game and the BBB will also be involved.  

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Tough situation - no argument there.  The missing shipping information is likely from a message that eBay sent asking you to provide proof of shipping.  Yep, you already had that uploaded automatically when you purchased postage through eBay, but they do ask for it again.

Reason they asked is b/c of the huge number of items you sold in a relatively short period - much more than would be your typical over the course of your last couple of decades with eBay.  That's a big red flag- with or without that Rolex.  

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

You might be right, but I will say that all the items with the exception of a handful already to notice delivered, so what else do they want me to do?

It sounds like they’re trying to work on it, so I have faith that they’ll make it right. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

If you did not respond to the "upload tracking request" by actually uploading the tracking numbers as proof, that may have initiated this strange sequence of events. I know it sounds like nonsense, and a duplication of work because you assume they have that information since you utilize ebay shipping, but that is not the case when they request you to 'verify'.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

This entire situation has been strange!

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

New, returning or infrequent sellers are always a risk to eBay as things change.  Peoples lives change and there is no way for eBay to be aware that a change might be something along the lines of say desperation like "Oh my gosh if I can't pay the mortgage company $10K they are foreclosing" or "I better have $10 grand for the system in 48 hours for the bail bondsman."

eBay has no way to know circumstances and everything has and does happen.  Now the fact you're say a stand up kinda guy doesn't mean these people over here are.  Many new sellers come here to snatch folks money and disappear or sell a thousand dollar phone and deliver nothing of the kind or someone pays $800 for a purse that's supposed to be a Coach purse but is counterfeit or a Rolex that's actually not.  You'd be VERY surprised how often such things happen.

"Oh really?  I mean sure occasionally..."

No, it happens even to the point consumer have been physically injured by knock off counterfeit items.  Reproduced clothing with toxins such as lead in the fabric and the list goes on, its a long list.  Some folks claim counterfeiting as a whole not just online but as a global whole is more money than the US illegal drug trade, trillions of dollars annually.

As much as the eBay's, Poshmark's, Amazon's work hard to prevent counterfeiting as its very bad for their image and businesses.  The manufacturers dont much care share critical information that would allow these points of sale to better spot counterfeit items right as they are listed.  Instead, companies hire firms that devour buckets of listings through automation scanning them for potential counterfeits and said manufacturers/rights holders DO share critical information with them!  Now those firms who do that as a business of course are against the points of sale getting that critical data as the better the points of sale can defend against counterfeits those business who do that work, have less or none to do!

Atop all that, those companies that seek out the counterfeiting also make mistakes and thus perfectly legit products end up flagged as not.  Citizens who've done not a thing wrong as well as say eBay or Amazon or Poshmark are damaged due to that yet NO, NONE, NOT AN IOTA of liability falls upon those companies nor the rights holders/manufacturers for wrongful actions not to mention even legit products can say injure consumers.

So you sell a Rolex watch perfectly legit and Rolex has some firm protecting their interests from knock offs yet your watch isn't but said company or Rolex bares zero responsibility for impacting you.  Instead, they blame the counterfeiters and points of sale but dont care empower the points of sale of even sellers with the detailed information to detect counterfeit items.  Atop that, they don't tend go after the actual sourcing of counterfeit items nor the entry points into nations.  Instead they want say, "Well its the responsibility of the point of sale just as would be the case in say Brick & Mortar selling knock off Rolex's" but its not that simple online at all!

Now take the drug trade as a parallel.  Have source, dealers and buyers.  The source nobody care deal with and most counterfeits happen in China albeit its a global problem.  There's dealers of the stuff all over the place as money is to be made and then there are the buyers right?  Difference between the two is buyers of illegal drugs are often now classified as folks with mental matters, its a disease.  I'm sure for some that is the case and sure for others its not.

Point being there are good folks that are impacted by bad operators be they good buyers or good sellers as well as the points of sale themselves.   Many of these brands want say, "Oh, we are not wanting to hurt the point of sale nor the legitimate owner of genuine goods wanting resell it... No, we're just about the counterfeits and safety along with the quality of our brand."

Right.

But if we walk in and ask any of them on the "Lie O' Meter,"  "Hey, would you rather have 50,000 consumers

annually buying pre-owned legit watches online or sell new ones?"

"Well of course we'd rather they buy new but we've no problem if they buy pre-owned as long as product is legit..."

DING DING DING...  (OOOPS!!! The ole' meter is singing!)

Back in the day perhaps still today companies like Netgear and others...  You buy a PC and it happen come with extra's, say a Netgear router or Bose Speakers, just in a brown box.  "I dont need that, resell it..."  OH NO!  Thats not MEANT for retail sale so DONT DO IT!

"Well ok... Then I should be able send it back to the manufacturer and send me what its worth."

OH NO NO NO NO NO!

"Well... What!?!?!?!  I just throw in the trash."

OH NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!  That not environmental!

"Hmmm... Ok, well then I'll just give it to my neighbor as he said he needed one..."

OH NO NO NO NO NO!!!!  Dont do that then he wont be at Walmart buying one!

"Well what I supposed to do with it?"

We dont care LOL.  Set a lamp on it.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Yesterday I got a messaging saying they have no record of me shipping my items out

@1happyguy 

Do you happen to use the "eBay envelope" or whatever it is called to ship your cards?  You know, the cheap shipping option with miserable tracking that
rarely gets any scans?  Did you get request to upload delivery confirmation for all the items you ever sold on this ID? They will do that sometimes, even though they have the information if you used eBay shipping labels, just because they can or the "mess with the seller department" can't or doesn't feel like accessing the information on their own. 

eBay's main concern is protecting eBay.  You can learn about transaction holds here.  It will explain at least why they are holding the Rolex money, but not why all your payouts are shut down: 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816&s...

Unfortunately, nothing seems to address the reason they yanked all your current listings.  Hate to be the one to tell you, but there is a good chance you will never know.  Can it be assumed you are prohibited from listing?  

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Love it!  Lots of great points and I’m sure the root cause is buried in that.  

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Hello, oh no I never use that little envelope. It’s terrible and the cards always get damaged. I actually spend more on shipping than I get reimbursed because I want to make sure the cards get there safely. That eBay tracking is horrible and things get lost and nobody knows where they went. I would highly encourage folks to use the Postal Service with a typical eBay tracking.  

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

It is frustrating and disruptive when Ebay decides to take actions to protect the security of the buyers and itself.

How long you have been an Ebay member, and your feedback percentage do not offer protection from Ebay actions.

Like most sites, Ebay looks for changes which could be associated with greater risks. What those changes might be are kept secret, but they can include a recently inactive account which is now showing activity, an increase in big ticket items from an account which had been selling low ticket items or anything they can program a bot to look for.

The notification of their actions is likely to be vague, and the requirements to deal with it written to require the worse case seller response rather than a customized response.

The Customer Support people you can contact are limited in the information they are provided "to protect your privacy".

You need to do your best imitation of a bot and provide all of the information you are asked for.

Most other large marketplaces are equally secretive, equally impersonal and equally frustrating.

And Ebay might be the best place to be selling your merchandise in spite of this disdainful situation.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Back when eBay owned PayPal they kept nearly $18,000.00 of my money for 173 days. I sold $20 US gold coins for my brother-in-law so he could redo his bathroom to make it handy capped accessible for his twins with cerebral palsy. All the coins sold and no money was withdrawn from PayPal until each buyer communicated back to me with positive feedback. Went to withdraw the first $7000 to give to my brother-in-law and they froze my account. The reason was because the coins could be counterfeit and they could be backcharged up to 180 days. Not all the credit cards the customers used had a 180 day refund policy. Some were 60 and 90 day return policies but that wasn't PayPal's problem to release those monies in their allotted time. It took the Attorneys General in 3 states to get the money released and WOW 7 day early and without interest and I have been blackballed to this day. Since eBay gave up PayPal I've been able to sell again without the high expenses of excepting Credit Cards. Their reason is clear, They don't like States Attorneys.  Now they tell me its because my credit rating isn't high enough. Even though I bought my 238K house with 710 rating. They just Sip Through a Straw.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply