cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Immediately after sale I get spam messages to ship to a different address

I listed my old laptop for sale and it was sold today however immediately after the sale I recived a spam message 

I almost fell for this!! I replied and said I would cancel the order and he should order with the correct address once again. after awhile I get a few more spam messages like this. Then I realize these guys are scammers. Now the original buyer is really **bleep** because I cancelled his order and PayPal would take some time to have his refund proccessed so he could order again. 

I just find it ridicilous how easily people can scam sellers on ebay. All they need is a random email and they can create a new account and message sellers. I am lucky I didnt fall for this, but upon some research there's so many victims of this type of scam. Also It's really hard to find a place to report scammers like these. Any advise how I can report these guys?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Immediately after sale I get spam messages to ship to a different address

Why did you cancel the order.  Your buyer probably had nothing to do with this.  You should have contacted him first to see if the email came from him.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I no expert, however, I believe that the address is one of the mail forwarding companies.  If the address does not match that what is in PayPal and if the buyer has not paid, I would advise the buyer to add the "new" address to his/her PP account and select it when making payment.  If he/she paid, I would advise the buyer that it would have to be shipped to the address in PP.

This is what I found on google for the address: 

https://www.google.com/search?q=18+Boulden+CIR+STE+2+C49492+City%3A+New+Castle+DE+Zip%3A+19720-3494&...

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I thought it was the buyer who messaged me. I am an idiot I know.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@postingid2017 wrote:

I no expert, however, I believe that the address is one of the mail forwarding companies.  If the address does not match that what is in PayPal and if the buyer has not paid, I would advise the buyer to add the "new" address to his/her PP account and select it when making payment.  If he/she paid, I would advise the buyer that it would have to be shipped to the address in PP.

This is a total scam. The original buyer had nothing to do with it. The original buyer's not the one requesting a change of address, it's the email scammers. All of this information is in the original post.

From the original post:

"Then I realize these guys are scammers.  Now the original buyer is really **bleep** because I cancelled his order and PayPal would take some time to have his refund proccessed so he could order again."

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

How can I report these scammers?

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

No, you're not a idiot. A lot of seasoned sellers have fallen for this email scam, if nothing else, in an attempt to provide good customer service. In the end, you didn't really fall for it, either. You didn't ship the item, so the worse thing that happened was the cancellation. (I mean, that's kinda bad, but . . .)

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Definitely report the scam accounts.

Unfortunately, eBay requires near zero verfication to open an accounts:  eBay will close the scammers' current accounts, scammers immediately open new accounts and are instantly allowed to start the scam again,  messaging and "buying"/bidding from other users.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@l3_electronics wrote:

How can I report these scammers?

Forward the emails to spoof@ebay.com

It's wack-a-mole, the thieves are generally out of the country and all they need is a phone, wi-fi hotspot, thow away email address, and a list of sellers and their direct contact info. When a nice sale gets made you swoop in with the redirect attempt.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@l3_electronics wrote:

I thought it was the buyer who messaged me. I am an idiot I know.

You are not an idiot and your buyer could be in cahoots with the ID that made the address change request. He may be upset over the delay in refund but sometimes with the scam, the original buyer is in on the whole thing and will file a INR and get the item for free. 

caped*crusader*by*night
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I will just leave responses to the alleged experts - carry on

Message 11 of 11
latest reply