cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If eBay very publicly and LOUDLY announced they were ending pay-to-play...

...they would quickly corner the market for this type of platform, and force all the other bad eggs to end the practice also.

Just think, eBay would be the only major platform of its type to have a truly open and fair playing field where sellers would succeed or fail base purely on the quality of their merchandise and their service!

(Geesh...sounds like eBay circa 2003, doesn't it?...lol.)

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

Re: If eBay very publicly and LOUDLY announced they were ending pay-to-play...

The posts are to vent, nothing more. I have been on both sides of corporate. I have owned and operated businesses. I have struggled and I have had successes. Most of what employees or “little guys” think are solutions are unworkable. They don’t know the costs, volume, logistics, financial and other aspects of  implementation. They can’t grasp that were they in the same position they would have to act much in the same as those they criticize, and they would be motivated by the same things. Much of what they view as problems are selfish takes on what causes them pain, seen through their own narrow scope. Time and effort is better spent attempting to operate more efficiently within the given framework. 

Message 76 of 89
latest reply

@1funkydude wrote:

The posts are to vent, nothing more. I have been on both sides of corporate. I have owned and operated businesses. I have struggled and I have had successes. Most of what employees or “little guys” think are solutions are unworkable. They don’t know the costs, volume, logistics, financial and other aspects of  implementation. They can’t grasp that were they in the same position they would have to act much in the same as those they criticize, and they would be motivated by the same things. Much of what they view as problems are selfish takes on what causes them pain, seen through their own narrow scope. Time and effort is better spent attempting to operate more efficiently within the given framework. 

of course, that's all this board is really, a venting conference. I understand, would think all understand after selling on the platform... but we all know they won't do any of it, even just out of spite. But your right about the grasp of implementation. Done business all my life, things just don't "happen" - the flip side is the company has had forever to do things all think they should and they haven't and the only answer is simply they won't, they don't care about the same things the other side does so they aren't considering, cause they aren't even thinking the same. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 77 of 89
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Not sure what you were going to add after 'designation', though, perhaps why that might be.  Just really curious. 🤔

I wasn't going to put anything after the ellipsis, or I would have done so.

"An ellipsis ( . . . ) is a set of three periods that indicates the omission of words from quoted material, hesitation, or trailing off in dialogue or train of thought. An ellipsis should have spaces before, between, and after the periods."

Speaking personally, I avoid TRS because so many of them come through the community demanding that sellers be given the right to leave negative feedback, or they've left "soft negatives" for buyers, or they've left nasty replies to buyer feedback, or they lie about why they cancel a transaction--in blatant violation of the cancellation policy--and are, by God, darn proud of it, because "it's my business and eBay isn't going to tell me I have to ship"--or they want to know how to get out of a transaction that "just doesn't feel right" or a dozen other topics they bring to the community that I find unacceptable for a seller who are held out as being "[o]ne of eBay's most reputable sellers" and are promoted as one who "[c]onsistently delivers outstanding customer service."

Also, the worst eBay buying experiences in my 25 years on the platform have been with TRS.

Those two separate kinds of experiences--community threads/posts and personal buying experience--have influenced my decision to avoid TRS.

Message 78 of 89
latest reply

Sorry to hear that, but we're not all terrible.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 79 of 89
latest reply

However, it's doubtful that collectors of certain items, and shoppers who are looking for vintage or antiques will be able to find those things at WalMart.  

Message 80 of 89
latest reply

I'll have to read it again. PLS makes very little sense for me, and like I said, I just can't stand that they are advertising other people's stuff, on our listings. I won't be a part of that, lower sales, or not.

Message 81 of 89
latest reply

"Said in a doom-laden voice: As has been prophesied."
I'm imagining Thulsa's deeply disturbing laugh now.

Message 82 of 89
latest reply

Yes, that is true. Those types of items would not be as much a problem. Those types of buyer would pay here.

Message 83 of 89
latest reply

@joliztoyco wrote:

Same here. I'm allowed to order materials or supplies online from Grainger, or Amazon, but expressly forbidden to use Ebay. We used to have too many 3 day orders turn into 2 weeks after being shipped from China. But the "final straw" company experience was ordering 3000 dollars worth of tech from a seller. And receiving a "tracked" box of cheap toothbrushes.
Poor receptionist in the office who signed for it is known as the "toothbrush lady".....Of course the company took pics and tried to appeal to Ebay. And were flatly refused because it was delivered and signed for.  

@joliztoyco : An Item Not Received dispute was the wrong claim to file because tracking would show that the package had been delivered - and did. The correct dispute to file is Not As Described (and the fact that an INR was already filed and lost does not matter). Filing a NAD is a slam dunk win/refund for the buyer. Why was one not filed in this case?

@joliztoyco wrote:

My "company" employs 25,000 workers and does projects all over the USA. And Ebay lost it all due to their inept "scam" protection. Which is ZERO. 

Nonsense. Its just a matter of filing the Not As Described dispute. Why was that not done? Is it too late to file it now?

Message 84 of 89
latest reply

The end game...............

The future > ALL sellers use PLS to stay in the game - thus achieving an entirely even playing field, which becomes fair games/gains for all - for ALL except eBay, who will be raking in all the fee's that every seller is now paying, which in effect has now reverted to being the same as no PLS at all..............

There is always a method to the madness...................

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 85 of 89
latest reply

Hi everyone,

This discussion has gotten a bit heated. Please remember that, while it is fine to disagree with others, discussion should always remain friendly and respectful as required by the Community Guidelines.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 86 of 89
latest reply

@stevemartin60 wrote:

eBay would be the only major platform of its type to have a truly open and fair playing field.

@stevemartin60   Please explain how Ebay would have a "truly open and even playing field" as you say? What if they removed the "pay to play" as you call it, and your items are on page 34 of 68 pages?

Message 87 of 89
latest reply

@coolections 

If his/her items were on page 34 out of 68 - then they would have reason to rethink their listing and improve it to get better placement. it should require some effort and/or hard work to get placed highly.....such as good item / good pics/ good description/ good shipping time/ good feedback / good customer service/ fast message response times / etc.     You should be able to work harder and get ahead.   Pay to play stifles this and rewards bad sellers that are willing to lose more money than the next.    I dont really think that its up for debate that this method stifles growth and the desire to list more.   Nobody likes a rigged system.       

Message 88 of 89
latest reply

@siamjane8 wrote:

If his/her items were on page 34 out of 68 - then they would have reason to rethink their listing and improve it to get better placement. it should require some effort and/or hard work to get placed highly.....such as good item / good pics/ good description/ good shipping time/ good feedback / good customer service/ fast message response times / etc.    

@siamjane8   You can do that right now to get closer. The only thing that is changed is some items that people "pay" to get closer actually get closer. If the Op's items on page 34 then HE needs to take your suggestion. I never have an item on page 2 of any listings I list unless it is over-saturated and even then, usually the item will appear at least page 3. I don't pay a dime for that.

Message 89 of 89
latest reply