cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If USPS is going to be a train wreck Ebay must change delivery parameters

I get sick of impatient buyers immediately opening an "item not received" case for books not delivered Media Mail on time.  And opening it in the unrealistic time parameters Ebay sets for delivery.   12 days.  Bam!  You've got a case.  When I first started selling books on Ebay it often took two to three weeks for Media Mail.   

No one at Ebay is in control, moderation, or observation of USPS delivery times or record of performance.   Performance varies by region.  They don't have the statistics.  They don't know what is going on at the Post Office because they don't work there and they don't like sharing information about their operations.  So how can they make those decisions?  And the time element Ebay sets is static.  Never varies with changes in circumstances or national events.  Hurricanes?  Winter storms?  Doesn't matter.  The delivery time expectation is written in stone.  

Amazing that the Post Office keeps raising the cost of shipping everything so that now the cost of shipping a small 2LB book is almost $5 just for postage.  But now since hiking rates their performance has hit the skids.  Their performance on updating tracking is on a steady slide.  It's always late, if it appears at all.  So it's a service that now costs more, but performs less well. 

That's the modern American trend.  You work harder for less actual pay even if your pay increases because of the skyrocketing cost of living.  You pay more for less quality.  You get less personal customer service from just about every entity under the sun in the modern "communication era."   You don't reach people on the phone any more, you wait for call backs or spend an hour on hold to ask why your power bill doubled.  But you pay the same fees and costs even though you can't even communicate freely with the people you're forced to do business with.

And here's what happens when the USPS delivers a package a little late and the customer has already been automatically refunded.   The customer keeps the merchandise. And ignores messages.  Except for one occasion that's the way it always turns out.  And each time I must talk to multiple people at Ebay to complain and recover my loss.  Wait on hold to be connected to the proper department, etc.    And they act as though they're doing me a big favor by refunding my money.  Lke, "We'll do it this time, but don't always expect such grand largesse."   When they're the ones that took my money with a knee jerk!

I guess Ebay doesn't mind paying these costs for their members to get free stuff because the USPS is no longer competent to get packages delivered on time.  And if you read the news reports, you'll understand why.  All kinds of troubles at the USPS.   It's an absolute mess.   But Ebay still has these unrealistic shipping time expectations.  Not even taking into account what happens when packages cross multiple time zones.  And having no knowledge of specific regional USPS centers where long-time sellers know for a fact they are incompetent.  Where we know from decades of experience things get smashed and disappear.  

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

HI! 

Someone just the other day wrote about Media Mail. I  change mine from that to priority mail then. After reading you post, I am really glad I did😊

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Here is a strange thing for the USPS strange file at least has been for me.

I am having less problems by sending items via Parcel Post or First Class and avoiding Priority Mail service.

Last spring I did some tests and  First Class was as fast as Priority and several times even faster to get to the buyer ! Go figure.

Someone else suggested avoiding the P.O. supplied Priority Boxes and use standard cardboard but still use the Priority service because those Red & White USPS Boxes stand out to porch pirates and others stealing from the mail.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I've been using the USPS since I started.  In my opinion they are the best shipping service available.  Without a doubt the worst month of losses was December 2020.  They lost over $1500 worth of packages.  Now it's averaging 1 or 2 delays a month but only 1 or 2 lost packages a year.  The delayed packages magically get delivered by the 4 week mark 99.9% of the time. 

But without a doubt the WORST shipping platform is Fed Ex.  It's gotten so bad that if someone uses fed ex I wont buy from them if I can order from someone who uses UPS or USPS.  They've lost several packages I ordered in the last couple years despite their "tracking" saying they were delivered. 

If you're using USPS I highly recommend using your own zebra label printer and dropping the packages off to your post office.  Get to know the staff there.  Be a regular.  Don't have them pick up your packages and don't put them in some 3rd party drop location.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

IIRC the estimated delivery time is longer if you specify just generic flat rate for "Economy" shipping, rather than Media Mail.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

The people who set the fake delivery  dates should  pay for the refund when buyer files item not received. USPS and ebay are the one i think that set the fake delivery dates.  why should the seller be responsible when it is out of the control of the seller.  I will not ship media mail unless the time frame would be 60 days. first class should be 10 to 20 days, even whem most items would arrive within 5 days.  If a person files an item not received, the seller should  be given at 10 more days for the PO to find the item and get it to buyer. also when it shows delivered  the seller should be given money back. (by the buyer, ebay or the post office.)  This issue is just another way  that rules are rigged so that the buyer gets free stuff and his money.  

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@movieman630 wrote:

I've been using the USPS since I started.  In my opinion they are the best shipping service available.  Without a doubt the worst month of losses was December 2020.  They lost over $1500 worth of packages.  Now it's averaging 1 or 2 delays a month but only 1 or 2 lost packages a year.  The delayed packages magically get delivered by the 4 week mark 99.9% of the time. 

Yep, nothing can even come close to December 2020. I was fortunate not to have anything actually lost, but I did have a few that took nearly a month to be delivered (and one of them was going to a city 45 minutes away; I could literally have walked it there and back faster than it took to be shipped).

These days I find their estimated delivery times to be quite accurate. I just checked and in the past month and a half I haven't had anything take more than five days to be delivered, First Class or Priority.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply